Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Notchy shifting after new clutch ruining my fun..Any advice?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2014, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Notchy shifting after new clutch ruining my fun..Any advice?

I had my clutch replaced in July with a Comp Stage 3 after my stock one started to slip. The flywheel was resurfaced and an OEM TOB was used. The transmission fluid was changed at the time with Amsoil MTG. I had a local Evo shop do the install. Prior to the new clutch the shifting was just fine.

The issue over the last few months has been that shifting is terribly notchy. It never grinds but it sometimes feels as if it is bouncing around in the shift gate to get into gear. It requires more pressure than before the clutch swap. Other times it kinda "pops" into gear. No gear is worse than the others. Low RPM driving is when it is the most difficult. Above 3500 RPMs it gets much easier to shift and at WOT its pretty buttery. Low speed (the majority of my daily driving) is a chore and it is quickly killing my fun with the car. I have tried bleeding the system, adjusting the clutch pedal, and installing a weighted knob. The shift knob was a a 300g Razo. It helped a bit but I still deal with some difficult shifting.

I have ordered a 490g BLOX and the bushing kit. Should I try replacing the fluid as well with Redline? Beyond that Im not sure what else to do. I don't have the time or capability to pull my transmission at the moment but i also don't want to ruin my tranny. I read another post from a guy using the Comp Stage 3 with exactly the same issues I have but it was never resolved.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 07:59 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Let the car warm up a little to get the tranny warm.. adjust clutch pedal.. make sure you disengage and press the pedal all the way..
I usto like to shift fast and my hand would move faster than my foot
Old Dec 14, 2014, 09:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Its just drivetrain movement. Every evo has this issue. There are several bushings you can swap that will help more than others. Its all over the forum if you search. I did front motor mount, driveshaft carrier, and differential mounts. I still need to do the tranny mount. These tighten it up pretty well but it gets noisy in the cabin.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 08:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
I've tried just about everything except Amsoil (just became a dealer). Redline felt really notchy. OEM felt the best. I'll be trying Amsoil on the next go around.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 11:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by 10isace
I've tried just about everything except Amsoil (just became a dealer). Redline felt really notchy. OEM felt the best. I'll be trying Amsoil on the next go around.
I put redline in also and agree with the notchy-ness. Switched out for Amsoil and I'm not a fan either. I'll be going back to OEM.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by apagan01
Let the car warm up a little to get the tranny warm.. adjust clutch pedal.. make sure you disengage and press the pedal all the way..
I usto like to shift fast and my hand would move faster than my foot
It definitely shifts better when it gets warmed up but as I keep driving it can go from not too bad to pretty damn clunky especially at lower RPMs. I bled the clutch and adjusted the pedal to no avail.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by rongdoer
Its just drivetrain movement. Every evo has this issue. There are several bushings you can swap that will help more than others. Its all over the forum if you search. I did front motor mount, driveshaft carrier, and differential mounts. I still need to do the tranny mount. These tighten it up pretty well but it gets noisy in the cabin.
This may be my next attempt at a fix. I don't mind the noise. Had pretty stiff mounts on a few other cars. The car drove great before the clutch let go. Now the shifting is a mess post clutch. I would go back to the weak stock clutch if it fixed this issue.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 10:36 AM

I just had a comp stage 2 clutch and comp flywheel recently and had the same issue as you did. There was redline oil in the trans and I hated shifting in traffic because of this. I switched it back to oem fluid and it shifts like butter again in traffic and at high rpms. I say just stick to factory trans fluid and you will be ok.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 11:00 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dsmluck
This may be my next attempt at a fix. I don't mind the noise. Had pretty stiff mounts on a few other cars. The car drove great before the clutch let go. Now the shifting is a mess post clutch. I would go back to the weak stock clutch if it fixed this issue.
The new clutch holds more torque, so everything that its connected to is going to move more. More torque is being applied to the soft oem mounts and they'll take slightly longer to move back to their original position. During the movement the shifting is notchy.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by pwrdby4g63
I just had a comp stage 2 clutch and comp flywheel recently and had the same issue as you did. There was redline oil in the trans and I hated shifting in traffic because of this. I switched it back to oem fluid and it shifts like butter again in traffic and at high rpms. I say just stick to factory trans fluid and you will be ok.
I am running Amsoil currently. I am going to go back to OEM and see if it makes a difference. I know prior to the clutch the OEM shifted great.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by rongdoer
The new clutch holds more torque, so everything that its connected to is going to move more. More torque is being applied to the soft oem mounts and they'll take slightly longer to move back to their original position. During the movement the shifting is notchy.
I considered that as well. If this were the cause wouldn't i have issues at high rpm and high load rather than low speed stop and go?

If this issue turns out to be a clutch related issue I may just see how long it lasts and pickup another 5 speed to have rebuilt when and if the current one goes. The car has almost 100k and I really don't want to pay someone to pull off the tranny again to try to fix the issue on a clutch I do not like with my other drivetrain parts in questionable condition. I could spend $2800 or so and have the t-Case and tranny rebuilt and have an ACT HD installed as well. That would have to wait until the spring though.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 10:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Based on what you described I would bet on the pedal adjustment. I know you mentioned you adjusted it, but I would suggest doing that again. Try to go all the way to the end of the threaded shaft. if you are not all the way there yet its worth a try to see how it impacts your issue. Mine is nearly at the end, and common for HD clutch setups.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 07:20 PM

Well i finally bit the bullet and had an ACT HDSS clutch installed to replace the Comp Stage 3. The problem is not 100% gone but its soo much better. i actually enjoy driving the car again and the notchyness, when it rears it's head, is much reduced. I am pretty sure the Comp Stage 3 has worn my syncros but i still get no grinds. I plan on having Jack's Transmission rebuild the tranny whenever a syncro actually goes bad.

The moral of this story is to not over clutch your car with a 100k mile stock tranny.