Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Loud sound when getting into boost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2014, 05:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Loud sound when getting into boost

My evo got hit in the front (minor), the fmic got a little bent between the brackets that hold it, same with the oil cooler, and the licp was badly damaged somehow and the coupler wouldn't connect back to the jpipe on the turbo..

Anyways I haven't replaced the fmic or the oil cooler yet, but the car makes a extremely loud chirp sound if get into boost. I didn't bother to really drive the car after that, but the only way I can describe the sound is like a bird chirping before it dies. Its very loud, high pitched sound.

Is this a hole in the fmic? Just want to get an idea what this is or if anyone has had this experience before. I do plan on replacing the fmic, just waiting for a coworker to sell me his stock one.

Any input greatly appreciated.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Do a boost leak test.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 08:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The best thing to do is do a boost leak test, you can buy the tools and supplies from your local hardware store. Theres lots of write ups on the interwebs.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well.. Sub'd in case any conclusions come out of this..

I have the same problem, I get a chirp/whistle all the way through boost, did a boost leak test, came up inconclusive, dealership couldn't figure it out.. I'll keep poking my head around in there at some point.. but I've kind of given up on this point, don't have $ to keep trying other shops/dealerships right now.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 10:18 PM
Evolving Member

Ok - I've ran a boost leak test just on the fmic, and isolated that its not leaking in the intercooler.

I took off the jpipe and the gasket looks fine, the jpipe does not look bent. After I hooked everything back up, the sound went away when free revving, when I started driving the sound came back, (less high pitched) but the sound was still there (very audible still). I had to take a break since the cars loud and it was late.

Today I went and started up and the sound is back the way it was from the very beginning even at free revving. I have a buddy that tells me its not an exhaust leak. I am all out of ideas. I will try making a video tomorrow. Hopefully the video picks up the sound, as it sounds nothing like the boost leak videos I have heard.

I tried running a boost leak test of the whole system but it just doesn't hold any pressure. I tried the boost leak test from the intake side and capped off at the Licp and it still doesn't hold any pressure.

Any ideas?

Last edited by vr4gasmtt; Jan 7, 2015 at 10:42 PM.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You have to take off the intake pipe and put the tester on the turbo inlet don't cap anything.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 10:44 AM
Evolving Member

Do I need to cap the nipple on the jpipe? Or anything on the stock boost control solenoid? Not sure why it's not holding any pressure when I do the test.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

You found your problem.that nipple on J pipe is boost source.vaacum line needs to be connected to that nipple.this line goes to boost solenoid which is located under your air filter.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 03:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by egis
You found your problem.that nipple on J pipe is boost source.vaacum line needs to be connected to that nipple.this line goes to boost solenoid which is located under your air filter.
There is a vacuum line connected to the jpipe nipple going to the stock boost control solenoid, I was wondering if I have to cap off anything on the boost control soleinoid, or is that only if I have a MBC?
Old Jan 8, 2015, 03:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by egis
That vacuum line is hooked up, do I have to cap off anything on the boost control solenoid? Any ideas why I'm not able to hold any pressure ?
Old Jan 10, 2015, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

dont cap off anything live it as is.you have a leak somewhere if you not holding pressure.listen for leaks.