Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Exhaust Manifold Torque Sequence

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2015, 01:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exhaust Manifold Torque Sequence

I know it is common sense to torque an exhaust manifold starting from the center and working your way to the outside, but in the factory service manual it says something entirely different and is actually kind of confusing.. I am about to install my exhaust manifold today and I'm just wondering anyone elses opinion on if I should follow what the service manual says or just torque the nuts starting from the center and alternating sides working my way out to the outsides. Here is a pic below of what the service manual says is the proper procedure... Btw i dont have a torque wrench that goes as low as 20ft lbs so maybe just torquing from the center out is a better idea for me, not sure...Thanks guys.

The following users liked this post:
mr.Freddy (Aug 13, 2023)
Old Aug 10, 2015, 06:40 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
When dealing with a factory exhaust manifold, I'd be inclined to follow the factory instructions. When dealing with a tubular steel manifold and it's more flexible flange however, I'd start inside and work my way to the ends.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 06:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ted B
When dealing with a factory exhaust manifold, I'd be inclined to follow the factory instructions. When dealing with a tubular steel manifold and it's more flexible flange however, I'd start inside and work my way to the ends.
Yea good call man. I installed it today according to the service manual. The only problem I had was i couldnt get a torque wrench on the bottom center bolt, but did as best i could to match it to the rest.