Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Megan Header replacements?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2015, 08:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Megan Header replacements?

Hi everyone. I'd first like to apologize as i know i'm probably asking a question someone else has asked but I don't have a lot of time today and am just looking for some help. I have an 03 Evo VIII with moderate engine work done. It's supposed to be dynoed at 381hp (i have never seen any documentation that proves this) and I have Megan Headers. The problem is they apparently aren't stamped "California compliant" and having just moved here i am required to have the car smog checked. However no smog shop wants to touch the car with parts that aren't marked legal in it for fear they'll lose their license. It has been suggested to me that i should switch my headers back to stock, smog, and then switch back again. However that could cause problems down the road if for some reason I get in to trouble and am caught using parts that are sub-par. Not to mention i no longer have my stock headers anyway. Also I'd like to continue modifying my car, so I'm concerned that reverting to stock parts will not only be financially troublesome but could cause engine damage as well. I know I can't possibly be the owner of the only evo in California with aftermarket parts in it, so I'm looking for any suggestions on where I can go from here. I am only looking to top 400hp to the wheels, and am considering possibly running a sequential turbo setup. Where can I go to find California certified aftermarket headers? Thanks for reading and God bless.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
No tubular manifold will have a CARB stamp on it. I suggest you take off that POS Megan manifold and find a ported stock manifold in the classifieds or from a vendor
Old Aug 17, 2015, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts
Ditch that garbage manifold and get a ported stocker. Or get the FP manifold and put the stock heat shield over it.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 11:40 AM

I appreciate the help guys but that really doesn't answer my question as far as ensuring California compliance.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 11:44 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Install a stock manifold that is ported, and your car will pass smog. Take it to Road Race Engineering, they are a reputable Evo shop in the LA area that can help you out.

It will never pass smog with the megan manifold on it. And, yes, if you put stock parts back on to pass smog, then switch back to the "non-compliant" parts, you can get popped by CHP and told to take the car to a smog ref which could result in fines, and they could even possibly tow the car. California sucks, you should consider moving out of there asap..
Old Aug 17, 2015, 11:54 AM

Moving out is not possible. But thanks for the shop tip. Anything reputable closer to central california?