Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo IV Oil Leak mystery

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2015, 06:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo IV Oil Leak mystery

Hey, i have messing now with the 4g63T engine about 2weeks and still no glue where the oil is leaking. Parts with covered oil is Transfer box and oil pan, the head cover and the intake manifold, and a small amount of oil is on the under the turbo, gearbox and engine attach point. Changed so far is oil pan ( victor reinz seal ), exhaust manifold gasket, head cover gasket, oil pressure switch ( not new, just seal ). The Oil cap and oil level stick is correctly in place.

Greetings From Estonia !

Last edited by Tarvi Trees; Sep 26, 2015 at 06:33 AM.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 08:08 AM
Evolving Member

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
I suppose you should pressure/power wash the engine after spraying some de-greaser to get as much of the oil off, then run it for a short while and see which general area it's coming from.

I've never pressure washed an engine, and would be conscious of the electricals in there, so do some research before doing that, but first getting rid of the existing oil is the best way of finding the source.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 10:48 AM

Have done the power wash + brake clean all, and done it repeatedly. Same result. ( 3km run to get the result in pics ) Just done the oil pressure switch seal again and some oil pan nuts retorque. Let seal to dry and start it again tomarrow. What a big headache.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Check that the gear box rubber vents are still in place.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by barneyb
Check that the gear box rubber vents are still in place.
You mean the transfer box oil plate "Breather " ? If yes then there is no original one, home made pipe going up about 30cm.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Tarvi Trees
You mean the transfer box oil plate "Breather " ? If yes then there is no original one, home made pipe going up about 30cm.
Interesting vent but should work. There should also be one for the transmission.

Engine oil smells like ahh - engine oil. Gear oil has a serious stinky smell to it. So, try to identify the source by the oil's odor.

Last edited by barneyb; Sep 26, 2015 at 02:19 PM.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Whats the valve cover gasket condition like?

That's a lot of oil and it's high up, does the oil come out under idle or only when driving?
Old Sep 27, 2015, 05:33 AM

Iam sure its engine oil, need to refill pretty fast. New valve cover gasket driven about 500km only . The leak is only hard driving and extreme leak with launch control.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

Where I see oil in your first picture is around the dip stick tube and suspect that it is the source.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 02:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by barneyb
Where I see oil in your first picture is around the dip stick tube and suspect that it is the source.
This---looks like your blowing the dig stick up-and spraying oil all over. A common issue. Clean PCV valve and hope that's it. Or its a blow by issue, that will require some kind of catch can/s to remedy. GL
Old Sep 27, 2015, 05:01 PM

Thanks guys for reply, just sealed the bottom side of stick and ill check the pcv valve tomarrow. One source of leak is still the oil pressure switch.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 06:31 AM

Okey, now on test drive i noticed blue smoke ( oil ) rear of my car only on deaccerlatin after full boost. PCV valve open ? PCV valve issiue explains the oil stick leak too. no smoke on idle or usual drive, only after full boost. ( letting throttle off, no clutching ) Ordered today new oil pressure switch and hoping that will fix the leak.

EDIT : My Bov is extremly hard and surges the turbo hard. can it be to surge goes to valve cover and burts oil into intake manifold ?

Last edited by Tarvi Trees; Sep 28, 2015 at 06:36 AM.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 08:40 AM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Interesting as I have an evo 4 engine in my 8 and have a very similar problem. I know mine is not the dipstick. I think it is the valve cover gasket. I haven't replaced that yet. The other reason I think that's it is because the top of the flange on my intake manifold will collect a bit of oil over a few hard runs and then I think its dripping down the back of the engine.

You may want to check/replace the pcv too. Mine is currently blocked off.
That BOV needs to be replaced. You don't want compressor surge, it will ruin your turbo.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 10:32 AM

worked full day with engine today. Result is not so good. Power wash whole engine and replaced bov to subaru sti bypass and went to hard run on gravel. Runs good and power is ok. But after full boost is blue smoke still. And after run is covered with oil under the turbo section and transfer box and oil pan, The upper part of the engine is now dry. I think ill take the oil pan again off and try to seal it the third time. But what about that smoke ? PCV ? Turbo ? ( i hope it isnt, its from evo IX )
Old Sep 29, 2015, 07:17 AM

Did you replace the cam seals and half moon? I had some on my eclipse that would shoot oil out only under boost and after I replaced those it was all good. Good luck, the blue smoke may be the turbo seals going bad or you may have way too much crank case pressure and causing too much oil to go in the intake system which gets burned in the engine.

Quick Reply: Evo IV Oil Leak mystery