Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

HELP: Evo 9, no boost, loud whistle, hanging hose

Old Nov 1, 2015, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP: Evo 9, no boost, loud whistle, hanging hose

Awhile ago, while under boost, there was a loud pop. Since then, anytime when accelerating and I should be building boost, all I get is a loud whistling sounds. If I were to continue accelerating, the computer gets mad, presumably cuts fuel, and kicks the "service engine soon" light on. After a few days of no boost, then "service engine soon" light goes off.

Today, I jacked it up, took off all plastic crap covering everything and I see a small hose danging. May be related, not sure. That's where you guys come in.

It has a Buscher inter-cooler and upper pipe on it after a front end accident. When the bodyshop put it in, they contacted Buschur and ended up doing something with a t-adapter since I think a hose connects to some nipple on the pipe. It's been several years and my memory is a bit fuzzy on it.

I took some pictures of what's going on under there: https://imgur.com/a/6cjfo

Thoughts?
Old Nov 1, 2015, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
stock boost controller:

one line goes from the turbine housing to the t-fitting
one line goes from the wastegate to the t-fitting
the t-fitting goes to one port on the boost controller

the other line goes from the boost controller to the intake piping
Old Nov 1, 2015, 01:16 PM

So it looks like from my pictures that I got one going to the wastegate, and one to the boost controller. I guess I just couldn't see the connector on the turbine housing.

Thx
Old Nov 1, 2015, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by llDemonll
stock boost controller:

one line goes from the turbine housing to the t-fitting
Would I have to take anything off to get to the connector on the turbine housing? I'll be damned if I can see it. (I took all of the plastic crap off of the bottom of the car)
Old Nov 1, 2015, 02:47 PM

One other detail. I'm pretty sure I have an Buschur lower pipe installed, hence no boost port.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 05:47 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
the port is on the j-pipe. kinda hard to see because it's black. it will be on the side facing the driver-side of the car.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by llDemonll
stock boost controller:

".....one line goes from the turbine housing to the t-fitting...."
FYI, there is no vacuum line going to, or coming from the turbine housing. Furthermore, there is no vacuum fitting or port located thereon.

However, as pointed out by Kaj, above, there is a port on the j-pipe (aka compressor discharge pipe) that sources manifold boost pressure/vacuum. One of the 3 hose ends on the vacuum/boost hose assembly should be connected to that port.

Last edited by sparky; Nov 2, 2015 at 05:11 PM.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 05:07 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by sparky
FYI, there is no vacuum line going to, or coming from the turbine housing. Furthermore, there is no vacuum fitting or port located thereon.
I'm sure he meant the signal line from the j-pipe or was thinking of some aftermarket turbo.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

I agree with you, Kaj. I too am positive that Demon meant to write, comp housing, and not turbine housing. I just couldn't resist the chance to take a free pot shot at a mod. No harm intended though

Last edited by sparky; Nov 2, 2015 at 05:52 PM.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 06:46 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts

However, as pointed out by Kaj, above, there is a port on the j-pipe (aka compressor discharge pipe) that sources manifold boost pressure/vacuum. One of the 3 hose ends on the vacuum/boost hose assembly should be connected to that port.
Don't correct someone if what you post is going to be incorrect. The boost source on the Jpipe does not give you manifold pressure/vacuum. That information can only come from the manifold. The port on the Jpipe only gives you charge pipe pressure. There is never vacuum before the throttle body,
Old Nov 2, 2015, 09:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
I lied. It's on the J-pipe. I haven't touched mine in 4 years since my MBC was installed

and yes, please correct me bad info is bad info despite who posts it!
Old Nov 2, 2015, 09:29 PM
Evolved Member

Edit

Last edited by sparky; Nov 2, 2015 at 10:06 PM.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Don't correct someone if what you post is going to be incorrect.....
I had this coming and it goes with the territory. I took a potshot at Demon but with no ill intent. If I wanna dish it out I better be ready to take it.

I imagine that no one consciously makes incorrect assertions on this forum. In the 1st place we are all on here to learn about Evos. To unwittingly make an incorrect statement just happens sometimes. Mistakes are a human failing, right?

No hard feelings.

Last edited by sparky; Nov 3, 2015 at 06:20 PM.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 01:31 PM
kaj

I had this coming and it goes with the territory. I took a potshot at Demon but with no ill intent. If I wanna dish it out I better be ready to take it.

I imagine that no one knowingly makes incorrect assertions on this forum. We are all on here to learn. To make posts that unknowingly may contain errors in certain details falls within forum rules I imagine. We are allowed to make mistakes on EvoM, right?

No hard feelings.

No mistakes allowed, sorry. 😛
Old Nov 3, 2015, 01:34 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts

I imagine that no one knowingly makes incorrect assertions on this forum. We are all on here to learn. To make posts that unknowingly may contain errors in certain details falls within forum rules I imagine. We are allowed to make mistakes on EvoM, right?

No hard feelings.
Nope, I just find it funny when it happens

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HELP: Evo 9, no boost, loud whistle, hanging hose