Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Garrett GTW Series vs PTE Turbos

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2016, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Garrett GTW Series vs PTE Turbos

I was shopping around and came across the GTW series turbos. I have no idea how they match up vs PTE turbo's. Anyone have experience or results of the GTW turbo's?
Old Mar 16, 2016, 08:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Not directly yet, initial results I've seen are ok but not astounding. They use Garrett T-series turbine wheels .... so hot side wise I supposed consider them the equivalent of the old Precision turbos prior to the introduction of their CEA (66 instead of 65 etc) turbine wheels as they were using Garrett design at that stage.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the gtw is supposed to be like the gtx only cheaper. not quite sure what the changed to cut the price down but its still garrett im sure your not going to lose any of the reliability of it.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 09:43 PM
Evolved Member

I wasn't talking about reliability - the compressor wheels (one of the cheapest parts of the turbo) are basically GTX-gen compressor wheels but the rest is ball bearing T-series spec, so for a GTW38xx you'll basically just be running a ball bearing P-trim T4 Garrett with an upgraded compressor wheel. It's going to be reliable and perform decently but probably not really comparable to the likes of Borg Warner EFRs and Precision CEA turbos.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
The Garrett GTW line is basically the best bang-for-the-buck, highest horsepower for the lowest cost, turbo line out there. So it uses the older Garrett turbine wheel aero/housings and center housing to save costs, but with a newer and different compressor wheel aero than even the Garrett GTX line. The compressor wheels in the GTW line flow a ton. I know they flow more than the BW wheels.

So basically, these turbos are for people looking to make the most power possible at the lowest cost. The compromise is transient response.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by spdracerut
The Garrett GTW line is basically the best bang-for-the-buck, highest horsepower for the lowest cost, turbo line out there. So it uses the older Garrett turbine wheel aero/housings and center housing to save costs, but with a newer and different compressor wheel aero than even the Garrett GTX line. The compressor wheels in the GTW line flow a ton. I know they flow more than the BW wheels.

So basically, these turbos are for people looking to make the most power possible at the lowest cost. The compromise is transient response.
How do you know they flow more than the newer EFR and SXE BorgWarner compressor wheels? Borg produces compressor maps that show what they flow. I can't find maps for the GTW lineup.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

The turbos are not THAT cheap, you want the most power possible at the lowest cost? Buy a Holset or a Borg Warner Airwerks. It'd be good if there was more data or some comparison on these things but at the stage they cost close enough to decent Precision or whatever that I'd just go with what is known to be that much better, or go something fully cheap if money is an issue.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 10:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by way2qik
How do you know they flow more than the newer EFR and SXE BorgWarner compressor wheels? Borg produces compressor maps that show what they flow. I can't find maps for the GTW lineup.
I know the engineer who did the development work on the GTW series

Originally Posted by MrLith
The turbos are not THAT cheap, you want the most power possible at the lowest cost? Buy a Holset or a Borg Warner Airwerks. It'd be good if there was more data or some comparison on these things but at the stage they cost close enough to decent Precision or whatever that I'd just go with what is known to be that much better, or go something fully cheap if money is an issue.
The GTW3476R is a close match for the GTX3576R. ATP Turbo has the GTW3476R ball bearing turbo listed for $1390 including turbine housing. Could save more money and get the journal bearing version for $1070 and give up some spool and a little power. The GTX3576R is listed at $1898 and you still have to get a turbine housing which is between $250 and $425. We'll just call it $2250 as a middle ground.

I would say the GTW3476 is a hell of a deal. It makes close to GTX3576R power and gives up some spool, but can also be had for around $1000 less. So if budget is more of a concern than all out power, spoolup, and transient response, the GTW represents a great deal.

Dyno of 2.4L engine with GTW3476R, 566whp on 92 octane is pretty damn solid:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-octane-3.html

Here is a link to a crazy Camry build from Dynamotorsports with twin GTW3476Rs making 1128whp, 726wtq (or 564whp per turbo):
https://www.instagram.com/p/BDE_e_fy...ynamotorsports

AMS Performance has a pair of GTW3884s pushing a relatively low 25psi on a 6.0L LQ4 V8 making about 1300hp crank. I figure there's another 500hp-600hp to go. The GTW3884R is only $1540 from ATP Turbo. That's a lot of HP for the money.

http://blog.amsperformance.com/2015/...le-9-5-146mph/

A BW S400SX FMW 67mm turbo would be about the same as the GTW3884R in performance I think. Full-Race has the BW listed at $1349 +$200 for a turbine housing, so $10 difference with the Garrett GTW which is also ball bearing whereas the BW is journal bearing.

Given that Garrett/Honeywell Turbo is the largest OEM manufacturer of turbos with BW being #2 and Holset, MHI, and IHI being other significant OEMs, I would only use turbos from those companies. The equivalent Precision to the GTW3476R would be the CEA 5858 which Real Street Performance has listed for $1650, or $260 more than the GTW. Precision CEA 6466 is $1950 vs. GTW3884R at $1540. Just sayin'.

Last edited by spdracerut; Mar 23, 2016 at 10:56 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 06:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The GTW3476R is a close match for the GTX3576R. ATP Turbo has the GTW3476R ball bearing turbo listed for $1390 including turbine housing. Could save more money and get the journal bearing version for $1070 and give up some spool and a little power. The GTX3576R is listed at $1898 and you still have to get a turbine housing which is between $250 and $425. We'll just call it $2250 as a middle ground.

I would say the GTW3476 is a hell of a deal. It makes close to GTX3576R power and gives up some spool, but can also be had for around $1000 less. So if budget is more of a concern than all out power, spoolup, and transient response, the GTW represents a great deal.

Dyno of 2.4L engine with GTW3476R, 566whp on 92 octane is pretty damn solid:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-octane-3.html

Here is a link to a crazy Camry build from Dynamotorsports with twin GTW3476Rs making 1128whp, 726wtq (or 564whp per turbo):
https://www.instagram.com/p/BDE_e_fy...ynamotorsports

AMS Performance has a pair of GTW3884s pushing a relatively low 25psi on a 6.0L LQ4 V8 making about 1300hp crank. I figure there's another 500hp-600hp to go. The GTW3884R is only $1540 from ATP Turbo. That's a lot of HP for the money.

http://blog.amsperformance.com/2015/...le-9-5-146mph/

A BW S400SX FMW 67mm turbo would be about the same as the GTW3884R in performance I think. Full-Race has the BW listed at $1349 +$200 for a turbine housing, so $10 difference with the Garrett GTW which is also ball bearing whereas the BW is journal bearing.

Given that Garrett/Honeywell Turbo is the largest OEM manufacturer of turbos with BW being #2 and Holset, MHI, and IHI being other significant OEMs, I would only use turbos from those companies. The equivalent Precision to the GTW3476R would be the CEA 5858 which Real Street Performance has listed for $1650, or $260 more than the GTW. Precision CEA 6466 is $1950 vs. GTW3884R at $1540. Just sayin'.
So the real question is... when do we get a "money doesn't count" performance without compromise GTW compressor wheel with an updated GT/GTX turbine wheel??? We've had the GT turbine wheel for at least 14 years that I can remember. And yeah sure the obvious answer is... it's soo great why change it? Well because Honeywell has to have learned SOMETHING in the past 14 years. Twin scroll, T4, v-band discharge, 82-84mm exducer compressor, using new wheel technology on the turbine and the compressor with a good balance between transient response and it's ability to flow at high pressure ratios. Make it a 2,300 dollar turbo... if it does everything and then some better than everyone else... we will buy it.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 08:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quite honestly, that means squat. Until they produce a map, then its just your opinion and you have zero proof to back your claim.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 10:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by way2qik
Quite honestly, that means squat. Until they produce a map, then its just your opinion and you have zero proof to back your claim.
And you are correct. I do not expect you to believe what I said without showing proof as I wouldn't believe you if you said the same thing without proof.

You asked how I knew the GTW wheels flow more than the BW EFR and SXE. I told you how I know.

As more turbos of all brands make it onto more cars, the data will present itself.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

Wrong thread. No idea how I ended up in this when I had the correct thread open