Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

stock evo 8 turbo cold side leak

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2016, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stock evo 8 turbo cold side leak

hey hope everyone's having a good weekend. i have been boost leak testing for a good week and fixing everything.(2 couplers, j pipe gasket, tb shaft seals, biss screw, bov is the only thing left leaking) i heard a hiss by the turbo and i had in my head that it was just the air going threw the exhaust side of the turbo. then i ran across the forum listed so i rand to my car and checked it out and go figure my cold side is leaking from the back. so my plan for tomorrow is to take off my evo 8 turbo and use a little red rtv sealent to fix the leak(A little inside more on the outside). looking for any suggestions. this is only a temp fix untill i get the 10.5 hotside for my evo 9 turbo. and i have seen a bunch of people do this on here because the garrets had the same problem and everyone said it fixed it and they never had a problem again.

no matter how much i tune my afrs drop after 5lbs to 10's and im guessing that boost leaks are my problem. i have added timing.. reduced timing .. put in more gas.. less gas.. and still nothing. i think a good leak like one from my turbo is to blame.

ps murica and Thank You
Justin

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/la...sing-leak.html

Last edited by Cbr1000love; Apr 2, 2016 at 04:50 PM. Reason: only helps if i add link
Old Apr 2, 2016, 04:58 PM

i have all seals i should need because i bought a install kit for my 9 turbo. but i used the j pipe gasket so the j will be staying connected. plan is to just suck it up and remove the rad first.

lets hope after 3 months of tightening up loose ends the damn car will run right finally
Old Apr 2, 2016, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
when you say leaking cold side from the back you mean around the V band?
Old Apr 2, 2016, 06:24 PM

no around the c clamp.. where the.. round stud thing is? sorry dont know the technical name is. my evo 9 turbo is apart and i see that there is a big gasket that sits around the entire cold side. if my 8 turbo gasket isnt broke then i plan on just adding some rtv.. if it is broke then idk what i am going to do because the 9 is bigger so i cant just use that one.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 06:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Maybe this will help
http://www.forcedperformance.net/mer...de=Turbo-Parts
Old Apr 4, 2016, 07:10 AM

not the V-band the c-clamp that holds the aluminum cold side compressor. the gasket was rock solid and on my 9 the gasket it nice and pliable how it should be. i rtv-ed it put the c clamp on and rtv-ed that shyte to. also the stud that sticks out for allignment? was broke and that is the spot where i felt the leak.

only had 3 hours to work on it yesterday before i had to do the family thing for the day but i pulled the turbo and rtv-ed everything before i went to sleep. still tacky so im going to try and not drive the car today. only problem i ran into was my c clamp pliers suck and my install kit only had one return line gasket so im going to rtv the oil pan and switch when i get one.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 01:37 PM

finally done(about 7 hours total) and tested all worked great. before my afrs would drop to 9 after i hit 10psi and i just tested at 15psi with afrs in the 12's(im set at 20psi but i had my daughter in the car and i want to redo my maps for lower afrs). the old gasket was rock solid i wish i had time and just ordered a new gasket but like i said before this only has to last a few months before i swap out the turbo.

Name:  image_43.jpeg
Views: 0
Size:  258.7 KB

Name:  image_42.jpeg
Views: 0
Size:  115.6 KB