Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Mishimimoto Radiator with OEM Fan

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2016, 02:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mishimimoto Radiator with OEM Fan

As the topic states, I'm considering the use of a Mishimioto Radiator with the stock fan on my Evo9.

The reason is that I was told that the Mishimoto slim fan, even with the ally shroud, does not work as efficiently as the oem fan. How true is this?

My reason for wanting to go with the slim fan is:
1. Because of space. My induction pipe from the turbo to the filter makes contact with the point at the back of the OEM fan shroud. I figured the slim fan would avoid this.
2. My radiator is damaged and needs replacing, so I figured why not the Mishimoto with the 1.3bar cap, thermostat & hoses.
3. The Mishimoto makes the bay prettier.

But I don't want to compromise on performance & cooling. I measured the top of the stock radiator & its roughly 60mm, The specs on the Mishimoto site puts the Mishimoto at around 63mm.

So, do I go:
1. Mishimito radiator with Mishimoto fan & cowel, thermostat & hoses.
2. Mishimoto radiator, thermostst & hoses, but OEM fan & cowel
3. Just get another OEM radiator & keep a stock setup (actually the most expensive).

Need to make a decision quite quickly.
Old May 12, 2016, 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
http://www.discountautoradiator.com/...4%20Cyl%202.0L
Old May 13, 2016, 02:37 PM

Thanks for the info but im in South Africa. I'll need to get the radiator from a local imports guy.

Anybody with answers, suggestions?

One more question. Will the oem fan bolt up directly to the Mishimoto radiator?
Old May 13, 2016, 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry, I never think to check location. I bought a radiator off of this site a year ago for $200 US shipped. It was identical in every respect to OEM. So, that should give you an idea of what the OEM is really worth.

Also, about a year ago I put a Mishimoto radiator that was advertised as "direct fit" into my Subaru and the fans all bolted up fine to it. However, since these radiators are all welded I could see where there might be sight variances.
Old May 13, 2016, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by barneyb
Sorry, I never think to check location. I bought a radiator off of this site a year ago for $200 US shipped. It was identical in every respect to OEM. So, that should give you an idea of what the OEM is really worth.

Also, about a year ago I put a Mishimoto radiator that was advertised as "direct fit" into my Subaru and the fans all bolted up fine to it. However, since these radiators are all welded I could see where there might be sight variances.
No issues. That's useful info regardless.

Mitsubishi dealers are asking something stupid like $1500 for a radiator if I recall. I've heard guys say there's no replacement radiator that'll outperform the oem. That's why I'm considering sticking to oem.

But you're saying the stock fans bolt right up to the Mishimoto radiator?
Old May 14, 2016, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Junaid K
No issues. That's useful info regardless.

But you're saying the stock fans bolt right up to the Mishimoto radiator?
This was on my WRX and yes the fans and almost everything else fit correctly. The Mishimoto radiator was lacking one bung for a hose which required a little imagination but no biggie. Other people have had problems with Mishimoto all aluminum radiators leaking but they do come with a years warranty. Still, a hassle. Hold onto the shipping box for awhile.

Anyway, for any radiator you are thinking of buying, read the fine print.
Old May 17, 2016, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by barneyb
This was on my WRX and yes the fans and almost everything else fit correctly. The Mishimoto radiator was lacking one bung for a hose which required a little imagination but no biggie. Other people have had problems with Mishimoto all aluminum radiators leaking but they do come with a years warranty. Still, a hassle. Hold onto the shipping box for awhile.

Anyway, for any radiator you are thinking of buying, read the fine print.
I did a bit of reading. Conflicting reviews on the Mishimoto. Problem for me is that I cant afford a warranty claim because of the shipping costs.

I cant really find anything regarding the efficiency of the Mishimoto slim fans. I did read that the OEM fan fits. That's the radiator fan. Haven't seen anything to indicate that the AC fan fits directly.

That said, there was talk about the increased thickness of the Mishimoto vs stock. I don't have the space for it if I used the OEM fan.

I did see some great reviews on the CBRD. Its expensive though, & not a direct fit for OEM fans. They do offer a fitted slim radiator fan, but not sure how the AC fan will fit.

Back to square one. Really need some direction here.
Old May 17, 2016, 07:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts
I use Mishimoto Radiator with OEM fan and fits fine. Might rub a little on that black rubber piping(thats goes right by the radiator fan if the piping is stock) that goes from intercooler to Throttle body. Seems to work fine for autocrossing but I would stick with oem radiator cap due to reading mishimoto's leaking(if you're unlucky). I didn't replace the thermostat but I probably should've since I pretty much took everything off around it when replacing radiator.
Old May 17, 2016, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by CaptainSquirts
I use Mishimoto Radiator with OEM fan and fits fine. Might rub a little on that black rubber piping(thats goes right by the radiator fan if the piping is stock) that goes from intercooler to Throttle body. Seems to work fine for autocrossing but I would stick with oem radiator cap due to reading mishimoto's leaking(if you're unlucky). I didn't replace the thermostat but I probably should've since I pretty much took everything off around it when replacing radiator.
Luck has never been on my side when it comes to cars. Thats the concern.

Induction isn't stock. It's HKS, and the back of the fan cowel touches now. I'm confused because based on what Ive read, the Mishimoto is thicker than oem, but I measured the top of my radiator and looked at the Mishimoto site. They're supposed to be roughly the same thickness. But I've read otherwise. If this is the case, and I use the oem fan. The cowel won't fit.
Old May 17, 2016, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts
I can post a picture later if you want.
Old May 17, 2016, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have Mishimoto rad and a spal slim fan, thinking its like 12.5 flows 1275 cfm-- fit it for the same reason you are giving. I used the old fan shroud, cut the lip off if it with a demel where the center of the fan comes thru and used a piece of aluminum strip and mounted it to the inside of the shroud, then mounted the fan to the strip. Simple pop rivets. Been that way for 5years--no issues and I am in Texas---so yeah its hot. Ran the wiring into the stock relay and moved it from the back of the fan to the firewall under the battery.
Old May 17, 2016, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by CaptainSquirts
I can post a picture later if you want.
Yes please if you don't mind.

Originally Posted by meckert
I have Mishimoto rad and a spal slim fan, thinking its like 12.5 flows 1275 cfm-- fit it for the same reason you are giving. I used the old fan shroud, cut the lip off if it with a demel where the center of the fan comes thru and used a piece of aluminum strip and mounted it to the inside of the shroud, then mounted the fan to the strip. Simple pop rivets. Been that way for 5years--no issues and I am in Texas---so yeah its hot. Ran the wiring into the stock relay and moved it from the back of the fan to the firewall under the battery.
So the fan you used isn't the Mishimoto fan & shroud? Is it because of inadequate cooling efficiency of the Mishimoto fan & shroud? If there isn't an issue with the complete Mishimoto setup, as in it will definitely be an improvement over stock, why not just do the radiator, thermostat & cowel?

Just to gain a better understanding, you cut away some of the protruding portion of the oem cowel, at the rear, & replaced it with aluminum strips. Obviously a fair amount could be removed because u utilised a slim fan, I suppose applying that idea when using an oem fan would be really pointless...
Old May 18, 2016, 12:44 AM
kpr
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im running all Mishimoto, radiator, hoses, thermostat, additive and fan and shroud . It has worked very well. STM states sometimes the thermostat go bad but I've had mine for years.

Also the mishimoto fan and shroud are bout 10lbs+ lighter than factory !
Old May 18, 2016, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by kpr
Im running all Mishimoto, radiator, hoses, thermostat, additive and fan and shroud . It has worked very well. STM states sometimes the thermostat go bad but I've had mine for years.

Also the mishimoto fan and shroud are bout 10lbs+ lighter than factory !
Yes, I've read that it is substantially lighter, but I'm more concerned with the cooling efficiency of both the Mishimoto radiator & fan/shroud, vs OEM.

If I'm told that OEM is better, I'll stick with it despite the space issue & the cosmetic upgrade I'm eager for. The last thing I want is any loss in performance as a result of an upgrade that proves to be more of a downgrade.
Old May 18, 2016, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Junaid K
Yes please if you don't mind.

So the fan you used isn't the Mishimoto fan & shroud? Is it because of inadequate cooling efficiency of the Mishimoto fan & shroud? If there isn't an issue with the complete Mishimoto setup, as in it will definitely be an improvement over stock, why not just do the radiator, thermostat & cowel?

Just to gain a better understanding, you cut away some of the protruding portion of the oem cowel, at the rear, & replaced it with aluminum strips. Obviously a fair amount could be removed because u utilised a slim fan, I suppose applying that idea when using an oem fan would be really pointless...
I wanted to use the stock fan shroud. In order to make it work, when you place the thin fan in the shroud you will need to cut way the back so the fan can push air thru and so the fan is recessed in the shroud so it can be mounted in the stock location. Once done the thin fan sticks out of the shroud in the back ( engine side) just a small amount allowing for the additional clearance you are looking for. As for the aluminum mounting points, that was to mount the fan to the shroud and not the radiator.
Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
miragevo (Oct 27, 2017)

Quick Reply: Mishimimoto Radiator with OEM Fan