Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

TOB Not Locking in Wedge Collar (Monoloc)?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2016, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
TOB Not Locking in Wedge Collar (Monoloc)?

Any ideas on the issue?

The TOB is popping in fine and pressed tight against the monoloc - when you release, it springs back to center as expected - however, when you pull on the fork (to disengage the clutch) - it just pops right out again. Any ideas? The Monoloc as far as I know is new, TOB is the OE one but didn't expect that to be a problem...
Old Jun 2, 2016, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I had to pull hard to get mine to lock up. I put a deepwell socket over the end of the arm for leverage. If that doesn't do it I think it needs to come apart for examination. Did you try snapping the two together off of the car?
Old Jun 2, 2016, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

don't believe we did, I took it to the shop to do. seemed pretty darn straightforward, so weren't really expecting to have an issue with the monoloc.

confused by your statement though - you had to PULL hard to get it to lock up? I'm not there, but I thought he was pushing it in to get it to lock, and releasing springs it to center. where do we pull?
Old Jun 2, 2016, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

Pushing on inside means pulling on the outside. Since, unless you have converted, this is a pull type clutch, the slave cylinder pushes the arm towards the passenger side to disengage the clutch, you pull towards the driver's side to engage the TOB in the Monoloc.

BTW, I see you place a question mark after of the word Monoloc. Are you not sure what was used? A standard wedge collar is fragile and if hit during transmission install probably is toast. If that is the case and it is broken you have parts floating around behind the pressure plate.

Last edited by barneyb; Jun 2, 2016 at 01:53 PM.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

Basically, exactly this:

something bent?
Old Jun 2, 2016, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by barneyb
Pushing on inside means pulling on the outside. Since, unless you have converted, this is a pull type clutch, the slave cylinder pushes the arm towards the passenger side to disengage the clutch, you pull towards the driver's side to engage the TOB in the Monoloc.

BTW, I see you place a question mark after of the word Monoloc. Are you not sure what was used? A standard wedge collar is fragile and if hit during transmission install probably is toast. If that is the case and it is broken you have parts floating around behind the pressure plate.
yes, sorry, not converted, pull type. question was for the thread title as a whole, monoloc in parenthesis for detail.

see video above for what ours is doing now.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

Take off the slave cylinder and give it a good tug.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

what does that do?

http://www.maperformance.com/product...utches-884006p

is this the correct monoloc? there's only one on map's site but seems there are more than one version out there.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 03:24 PM
Evolved Member

If the answer is nothing it is time to remove the transmission.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 03:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by barneyb
If the answer is nothing it is time to remove the transmission.
removing transmission...
Old Jun 2, 2016, 11:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I ran into this same issue last month. Installed everything up to the transfer case. Got excited to finally have my car together, went to engage the TOB and nothing. I tried for a solid hour trying every possible thing I could think of (pulling hard as started above, wedging a screw driver between the collar to hold it out, talking real nice to the car). Nothing.

Ended up taking the transmission back off. I found my pressure plate fingers to be distorted which could have had something to do with it. Ended up inspecting my clutch too since I didn't do so in the beginning. Thank god I did as it was time for a new one. So when the new one came, I installed the Monoloc into it while it was out of the car, then made sure the TOB fit too. Snapped right into place. However, getting everything apart again to reinstall in the car was a little more difficult.

When you engage the TOB once its installed back in the car you should hear a loud click/pop as it seats itself. I then proceeded to test it for like 5 minutes to make sure it didn't pop out or anything.

Good luck.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 06:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by shortyskater
I ran into this same issue last month. Installed everything up to the transfer case. Got excited to finally have my car together, went to engage the TOB and nothing. I tried for a solid hour trying every possible thing I could think of (pulling hard as started above, wedging a screw driver between the collar to hold it out, talking real nice to the car). Nothing.

Ended up taking the transmission back off. I found my pressure plate fingers to be distorted which could have had something to do with it. Ended up inspecting my clutch too since I didn't do so in the beginning. Thank god I did as it was time for a new one. So when the new one came, I installed the Monoloc into it while it was out of the car, then made sure the TOB fit too. Snapped right into place. However, getting everything apart again to reinstall in the car was a little more difficult.

When you engage the TOB once its installed back in the car you should hear a loud click/pop as it seats itself. I then proceeded to test it for like 5 minutes to make sure it didn't pop out or anything.

Good luck.
interesting, thanks - the shop currently has the car and they're gone for a week, so another week without the car - more annoyingly, I don't know what part to buy - tob, monoloc, or pressure plate...
Old Jun 3, 2016, 03:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you sure you have the correct pressure plate in the car? The later Evo's monoloc is of a slightly different height, which is just enough to not allow the TOB to lock in place. Good luck.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 06:21 AM
Evolved Member

later evo's as in the X? I have a 9, should be pretty straightforward, and a known clutch that works (Exedy Twin).

I guess right now the main culprits are bent pressure plate fingers or bent monoloc - hard to imagine the TOB went bad
Old Jun 6, 2016, 07:26 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
The monoloc's are all the same. The Evo X has a slightly different height TOB. Since Kyoo is using his original (not recommended btw, you should always replace this with the clutch), this is not the issue.

Quick Reply: TOB Not Locking in Wedge Collar (Monoloc)?