Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

GSC S1, GSC S2 or Kelford 272 Cams

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2017, 06:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
GSC S1, GSC S2 or Kelford 272 Cams

Hey Everyone,

So, I think its time to take the next step in modifying my evo. I am looking for new cams that will bump up my HP. I'm not looking for insane amounts of horsepower -- around 300-400 awhp. I was wondering which cams are best suited for me: the GSC S1, GSC S2 or Kelford 272 Cams. How much hp do ya'll think I can get with these cams?

Also, is it ok to run these cams with stock valve springs? (I know the GSC S1s have a less aggressive lift and I've heard they are fine with running stock valve springs, but not sure about the GSC S2s and 272s)

Thanks!

My current mods:
(05 Evo MR)
- K&N Typhoon Air Intake
- Mishimoto LICP
- Mishimoto Radiator w/ silicon pipes
- Greddy T-IC Catback exhaust
- Upgraded Downpipe (Not sure which one)
- Greddy BOV
- EFI Logics 93 oct. tune
- test pipe (i believe helix)
(getting stock manifold ported + coated soon and thinking about getting a new 02 housing and 255 walbro )
Old Apr 22, 2017, 08:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts
All are good choices, you won't go wrong with any of them. You can run the kelfords and the S2's on the stock valve springs if you stay within the stock rev limit. On a Evo with no mivec the S1's will focus more on low end and mid range where the kelfords and S2's will sacrifice low end for top end
Old Apr 23, 2017, 07:48 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 355 Likes on 240 Posts
If it were me I would upgrade the cams if you were doing a timing belt service. You will see more hp gains with an HTA71 since the stock turbo is out of breath . Your money would go farther with a turbo upgrade then cams at this point. Am FP manifold is also a big improvement over stock.

Stock mivec cams aren't as bad as the older evo's. I made the same power as others do with cams,snake oil ported manifolds on my stock cams on E85 and 30psi on the stock turbo. Its not going to make much over 400whp dynojet and have the factory rods be happy about it . To get more power out of the stock turbo you have to run higher initial boost and still get a peak/fall powerband. An HTA71 won't fall off at 5000 like the stock turbo. It just goes to 7500+ like a champ

You aren't going to lose anything with s2's on a small turbocharger . Some even go S3's but S2's are just fine since most small stock frame turbo's are done at 8000 or so.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 08:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Abacus
If it were me I would upgrade the cams if you were doing a timing belt service. You will see more hp gains with an HTA71 since the stock turbo is out of breath . Your money would go farther with a turbo upgrade then cams at this point. Am FP manifold is also a big improvement over stock.

Stock mivec cams aren't as bad as the older evo's. I made the same power as others do with cams,snake oil ported manifolds on my stock cams on E85 and 30psi on the stock turbo. Its not going to make much over 400whp dynojet and have the factory rods be happy about it . To get more power out of the stock turbo you have to run higher initial boost and still get a peak/fall powerband. An HTA71 won't fall off at 5000 like the stock turbo. It just goes to 7500+ like a champ

You aren't going to lose anything with s2's on a small turbocharger . Some even go S3's but S2's are just fine since most small stock frame turbo's are done at 8000 or so.
I heard that the FP manifold doesn't gain as much hp as a stock ported one.... Also, how much hp would increase if I added the evo 9 turbo?
Old Apr 23, 2017, 10:18 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 355 Likes on 240 Posts
Originally Posted by 4G63_Crazy
I heard that the FP manifold doesn't gain as much hp as a stock ported one.... Also, how much hp would increase if I added the evo 9 turbo?
FP has been making horsepower for a very long time and has pioneered alot..

Its developed for more flow and has slightly larger runners, Its designed to make more power. Alot of ported stuff is snake oil or if done incorrectly can actually hurt performance.

There are facts and opinions on everything. Use your best judgement. This platform has been around over a decade and there is a lot of good and bad information out there.

At the point the stock turbo is maxed out around 400whp (for stock rods) and has a peak/fall powerband its out of breath. Its a OEM 39lb a min turbocharger that was designed to come on early.

Last edited by Abacus; Apr 23, 2017 at 10:44 AM.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts
If you get S1s you can stay with stock valvetrain, anything more aggressive i highly recommenced doing springs and retainers and head studs too while your in there.
I have a 9 turbo, ported to a 20G with a stock mani Ported, and am making over 400. I have s2s
Old Apr 23, 2017, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts
I'm running a 71hta with all bolt ons and a FP manifold. It made power over my ported stocker. Runners are bigger and are more equal length.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 12:19 PM
Evolving Member

FP has been making horsepower for a very long time and has pioneered alot..

Its developed for more flow and has slightly larger runners, Its designed to make more power. Alot of ported stuff is snake oil or if done incorrectly can actually hurt performance.

There are facts and opinions on everything. Use your best judgement. This platform has been around over a decade and there is a lot of good and bad information out there.

At the point the stock turbo is maxed out around 400whp (for stock rods) and has a peak/fall powerband its out of breath. Its a OEM 39lb a min turbocharger that was designed to come on early.
This one, right? Might invest in it rather than porting a stock mani

http://www.forcedperformance.net/PROD/EMFPEvo9.html
Old Apr 23, 2017, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 269 Likes on 207 Posts

this....

no point in changing cams on a 9 while on stock turbo. The gain will be minimal. Much better go for hta71 turbo and some larger injectors and 255 warlbro..
Old Apr 23, 2017, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 269 Likes on 207 Posts

leave stock manifold... just port match the turbo to manifold flanges when changing turbos..
Old Apr 26, 2017, 05:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

You could look for some dyno/VD graphs to see if the power gains are worth it to you.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 08:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure on the definite number, but after I installed the ix turbo on my viii, both the quicker spooling, and pull were the first things noticed. My mod list is spot on with yours, with having the ix turbo and walbro currently installed. I'm in the same boat of just down to picking cams, research, read, and then research more.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 05:20 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lando524g
Not sure on the definite number, but after I installed the ix turbo on my viii, both the quicker spooling, and pull were the first things noticed. My mod list is spot on with yours, with having the ix turbo and walbro currently installed. I'm in the same boat of just down to picking cams, research, read, and then research more.
Did you need to tune the car after you installed it? Also, how much was the whole evo 9 swap? Little tight on money
Old Apr 27, 2017, 05:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Yep, got a tune after for the turbo
Hallman MBc
Buschur turbo back exhaust
And Cobb intake
I bought the turbo, oil lines, and j-pipe I think for right around 400$ from an evom member. After you pick up a ix turbo, just sell your viii to help cover the cost.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 05:40 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lando524g
Yep, got a tune after for the turbo
Hallman MBc
Buschur turbo back exhaust
And Cobb intake
I bought the turbo, oil lines, and j-pipe I think for right around 400$ from an evom member. After you pick up a ix turbo, just sell your viii to help cover the cost.
That sounds like a good deal! Maybe I should post in the WTB section..... Do you know how much HP you are currently making with your mods?

Last edited by 4G63_Crazy; Apr 27, 2017 at 05:55 AM.

Quick Reply: GSC S1, GSC S2 or Kelford 272 Cams