Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Valve seals or turbo seals? White smoke & oil burn smell

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2017, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts
So here we are a little over a month later. My car is still smoking pretty bad until it's fully warm. Then goes away. I'm starting to think rings. The fact that when it is smoking and the low compression numbers?

I was a little under a quart low on oil when I changed it after ~4K miles. I sent the oil to have it analazyed and they said there's no coolant in the oil. However there is excess aluminum, chrome, and iron than they see in the average 4G63.

All of those factors are leading me to believe rings.

Turbo is good, has no shaft play, haven't found any oil in downpipe, intercooler pipes..

And still running normal other than the smoke.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 11:37 PM
Account Disabled

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Still waiting for those spark plug pics?

Still no fuel pressure gauge either?

I guess that if you're a guru at tuning, you don't need to monitor fuel pressure?
But I wouldn't even think about it without one.

Everyone's a tuner?

Last edited by RightSaid fred; Jul 21, 2017 at 05:57 AM.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 01:11 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by RightSaid fred
Still waiting for those spark plug pics?

Still no fuel pressure gauge either?

I guess that if you're a guru at tuning, you don't need to monitor fuel pressure?
But I wouldn't even think about it without one.

Everyone's a tuner?
Because fuel pressure causes smoke....

OP, did you address crank case pressure?
Old Jul 21, 2017, 01:57 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 355 Likes on 240 Posts
If the engine is good shape , and the crankcase is vented and recirculated correctly then why don't you try to restrict the turbo some. For testing, its not going to hurt anything.

The newer Xona ship with .020 restrictors IIRC and your CHRA might need an update to run the .020. You may want to send it to FP for inspection and ask about the .020.

Are you running a good 5-40 oil or molasses? The 4g63 makes ALOT of oil pressure and a thick oil tends to **** some turbo's on warm up. I had a few issues on my stock engine when I ran 20-50 for road course days. No issues on 5-40.

Last edited by Abacus; Jul 21, 2017 at 02:03 PM.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone

My tuner is adamant that it is not an issue of crankcase pressure. I haven't got around to doing it yet. The press in 6an fittings won't do anything in terms of reducing pressure right? Only the drill/tap 10an solution will work?

Originally Posted by Abacus
If the engine is good shape , and the crankcase is vented and recirculated correctly then why don't you try to restrict the turbo some. For testing, its not going to hurt anything.

The newer Xona ship with .020 restrictors IIRC and your CHRA might need an update to run the .020. You may want to send it to FP for inspection and ask about the .020.

Are you running a good 5-40 oil or molasses? The 4g63 makes ALOT of oil pressure and a thick oil tends to **** some turbo's on warm up. I had a few issues on my stock engine when I ran 20-50 for road course days. No issues on 5-40.
I'm running a 5w20 Mobil 1. Same thing I've been running for the past 2 1/2 years (14k miles)
Old Jul 21, 2017, 02:40 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by Abacus
My car didn't seem to like 50w, either (for reasons other than turbo). Unless that's part of why my turbo spools so slow now LOL. My engine is definitely happier with lighter oil. Hm..

Originally Posted by Bmurray

I'm running a 5w20 Mobil 1. Same thing I've been running for the past 2 1/2 years (14k miles)
5w20??
Old Jul 21, 2017, 02:50 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 355 Likes on 240 Posts
My tuner is adamant that it is not an issue of crankcase pressure. I haven't got around to doing it yet. The press in 6an fittings won't do anything in terms of reducing pressure right? Only the drill/tap 10an solution will work?

I thought this was gone over. -10 at the least to a baffled can, back to the intake. Its well documented that with the FP line a -10 is needed . There is plenty of information out there, just take the time and research.
Make sure the turbo drain is clean.
Acceptable leakdown.
Smooth idle

If you take the oil cap off with the engine at idle cold/hot is it a large amount of air coming out? May want to compare it to another stock engine car.

I'd highly recommend going to a 40 weight oil of your choice. You are making much more HP then stock and its going to be better for the bearing life.

If you've crossed everything on the list off you can try the other two things I mentioned. Its a process of elimination after the basics are covered.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 02:53 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts

6an won't help...

The 4g63 makes a lot of crank case pressure when cold. Before I addressed it, my red smoked terribly on cold start, and less when warm. With proper ventilation, it doesn't smoke during cold start or normal driving anymore. Only smokes on track days in very specific situations.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 03:27 PM
Evolved Member

I will give 10w40 a go next oil change then. I was told 5w20 is okay to use. Guess not.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 06:03 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone

Yes it does.

Unregulated fuel pressure causes a wandering / drifting tune.
That in turn causes knock.
Knock breaks pistons.
Broken pistons cause excessive crankcase pressure and smoke.

It's simple.
All it takes is time.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 06:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Sorry nothing to contribute, this is just one of many threads that I'm following. I'm losing about a quart every 200-300 miles, sometimes more, sometimes less. Daily driving, track driving, no difference.

Radium PCV catch can, empty
-10 fitting on driver's side, VTA
CBRD BBK 3B
120/105/115/115 compression numbers, no difference with added oil
20w-50
No oil leaks
No smoke

What the hell

Last edited by Name User; Jul 21, 2017 at 06:15 PM.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 06:19 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
but her fuel pressure!
Old Jul 21, 2017, 07:18 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
but her fuel pressure!
If you can link it to all issues in a seven-degrees-to-Kevin-Bacon way, eventually you will be right. Or at least not proven wrong.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Name User
Sorry nothing to contribute, this is just one of many threads that I'm following. I'm losing about a quart every 200-300 miles, sometimes more, sometimes less. Daily driving, track driving, no difference.

Radium PCV catch can, empty
-10 fitting on driver's side, VTA
CBRD BBK 3B
120/105/115/115 compression numbers, no difference with added oil
20w-50
No oil leaks
No smoke

What the hell
Had oil disappearing out of a 4G63 in a DSM and no smoke. I parked it in a garage, started the engine, closed the garage and let it run. I came back 15 -20 minutes later and the garage was filled with a blue haze. BTW don't stay in the garage if trying this and don't do this test in an attached garage - carbon monoxide may seep into the house and kill someone. So, there was blue smoke, it just took a while to build up and now I knew the oil was escaping through that hole back by the rear bumper.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 04:56 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by kaj
If you can link it to all issues in a seven-degrees-to-Kevin-Bacon way, eventually you will be right. Or at least not proven wrong.

It's a "normal" sequence of events.
If you don't understand what goes on, you shouldn't be trying to tune cars or charge for your services.

That's why it's known as "creeping death".
Things just go from bad to worse over time.

Young inexperienced people have no experience of time.

Quick Reply: Valve seals or turbo seals? White smoke & oil burn smell