Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Can In-Gear Rev Hang Hinder Braking?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2017, 09:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
I hardly understand what that means, but I feel like I'd be experiencing other symptoms if there was something wrong with the vac lines themselves. I don't think my tune has been adjusted for revhang so i'll check that first. my racing is pretty infrequent as of late due to school on Saturdays but i'll check the car over a little when I get another chance
::

watched a few videos, I don't have any of the symptoms of a bad booster - i'll check when I get home but seems like everything is in working order there. pedal also is very firm, I don't think it's a brakes issue as I recently rehauled the entire system, though I guess it could be...
Old Jun 7, 2017, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
Sorry for not writing clearer. I was suggesting to try having the brake booster in a constant vacuum instead of having engine pull vacuum. I wonder if this will make braking better when you are in autox with stickier tires.
And check your brake booster line for leaks while you're there.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

it's not your fault - I'm just not mechanically inclined - will keep the thread posted!
Old Jun 7, 2017, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

I'm curious aboutkeeping my brake booster in constant vacuum. Does anyone know any drawbacks? I'm thinking about installing check valve inline with hose so it will hold biggest vacuum as long as it can (I'm sure check valve will somehow slowly leak).
Old Jun 7, 2017, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
There already is a check valve inline with the hose......

You're going down the wrong path. IF you want more brake torque, put a more aggressive pad on there. I could engage abs on nt01's with hawk dtc60's if I really tried. Though the point is to threshold brake, ie not need the abs anyway.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks ExViTermini, I see the check valve now. I bought slotted rotors and hawks pads years back. Guess I'll install them soon.

Sorry Kyoo, scratch all my comments because the check valve should hold vacuum even if your engine hangs. So your brake booster shouldn't be affected.

Last edited by 2006EvoIXer; Jun 7, 2017 at 02:07 PM.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 02:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ExViTermini
There already is a check valve inline with the hose......

You're going down the wrong path. IF you want more brake torque, put a more aggressive pad on there. I could engage abs on nt01's with hawk dtc60's if I really tried. Though the point is to threshold brake, ie not need the abs anyway.
I agree - but I SHOULD be able to engage abs in hard braking if I'm pressing hard enough. maybe the pad's no good (girodisc s/s) but I've kind of confirmed that it should be a good performer. the car is actually in the air so when I went to test out the booster, on and off, etc, the abs obviously kicked in very easily, so there is some tire (255/40-17 RE71Rs on 17x9.5) overpowering the brakes going on - I'm just making sure I check off the rev hang box in case there's something going on there before I move further down the road.

the rev hang, as infrequent as it was, never did bother me, but I only started to think of what impact it could have on braking after I lost engine braking in one axle while racing.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 02:36 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Rev hang will reduce vacuum, as well as reduce engine braking. It should be addressed.
The following users liked this post:
kyoo (Jun 7, 2017)
Old Jun 7, 2017, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
If you're experiencing rev hang it will impede your braking performance. Hopefully your new tune will be able to address it. As I was saying via email, I too used to have issues with rev hang. Knock on wood I cant recall the last time it happened to me. Some ROM ID's are plagued with it and I know some ECU dissassemblers were working on uncovering hidden tables that would address the issue and some claimed to have fixed it but I do not think it was ever confirmed.

If your car is doing it often try a new ROM ID. Your pads are fine; they have plenty of stopping power. I say that as if Im not careful when I "stab" the brakes I can engage ABS on my 285 ZIISS
The following users liked this post:
kyoo (Jun 7, 2017)
Old Jun 7, 2017, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Rev hang will reduce vacuum, as well as reduce engine braking. It should be addressed.
English Racing is my tuner too! Aaron's already sent me a new map, I just won't have time to test it for a little while.

Originally Posted by heel2toe
If you're experiencing rev hang it will impede your braking performance. Hopefully your new tune will be able to address it. As I was saying via email, I too used to have issues with rev hang. Knock on wood I cant recall the last time it happened to me. Some ROM ID's are plagued with it and I know some ECU dissassemblers were working on uncovering hidden tables that would address the issue and some claimed to have fixed it but I do not think it was ever confirmed.

If your car is doing it often try a new ROM ID. Your pads are fine; they have plenty of stopping power. I say that as if Im not careful when I "stab" the brakes I can engage ABS on my 285 ZIISS
ok - I should be able to do the same, but never have. maybe I should try a left foot braking stab and see if I can do it - if that doesn't engage abs, nothing with my right foot will lol. that said the tune should fix it
Old Jun 7, 2017, 11:00 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kyoo
English Racing is my tuner too! Aaron's already sent me a new map, I just won't have time to test it for a little while.
Pretty awesome having a tuner you can actually get a hold of, even when they're several hundred miles away.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 06:23 AM
Evolved Member

Pretty awesome having a tuner you can actually get a hold of, even when they're several hundred miles away.
yea aaron kicks ***. Like I said I won't be able to test for a while but will report back once I do. fingers crossed this fixes, if it even is happening in-gear.

the other thing is I'm running -3.3 degrees of camber. obviously that's on the higher end of the spectrum but it's not THAT crazy for autox. chances this is significantly hurting braking?
Old Jun 8, 2017, 08:06 AM
EvoM Guru

Maybe a little. My car does everything better with more caster, and -3* camber.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

Maybe a little. My car does everything better with more caster, and -3* camber.
I'm running -3.3* of camber and 5.2* of caster - on your recommendation I can drop the camber but I feel like it wouldn't make too much of a difference?
Old Jun 8, 2017, 08:45 AM
EvoM Guru

Depending on tire wear characteristics, I wouldn't reduce camber only braking. I run less camber because I have nearly +7* of caster with the Perrin PSRS (offset) and Dallas's top hats.

Quick Reply: Can In-Gear Rev Hang Hinder Braking?