Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

What limits a bypass valves hp capacity?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2017, 03:20 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
thinking about it some more, the surface area of the valve vs the size of the hose going to the diaphragm housing are pretty unequal. So the valve would see the initial pressure spike before the diaphragm could build enough pressure to push back against it causing the valve to blow open and vent the pressure, thus the spring is needed to help prevent that from happening.
Tial does talk about this, and they to not use less than a 6psi spring in the Q bov unless its a supercharged app because a squick spooling turbo could cause the valve to open before the diaphragm sees enough pressure from the reference line to stay shut. But, that would only occur during spoolup. On a slower spooling turbo, a light spring will still hold all the boost.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 03:30 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Tial does talk about this, and they to not use less than a 6psi spring in the Q bov unless its a supercharged app because a squick spooling turbo could cause the valve to open before the diaphragm sees enough pressure from the reference line to stay shut. But, that would only occur during spoolup. On a slower spooling turbo, a light spring will still hold all the boost.
Well at least I was in the right ballpark. Someday someone will probably come up with an electronic solution, kind of like an MBC vs a 3port BCS. At this point its probably more trouble then its worth, that is until it isn't.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 03:33 PM
EvoM Guru

Most modern turbo cars have an ECU controlled compressor bypass valve.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 03:37 PM
kaj

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer

There should never be a vacuum between throttlebody and intercooler (including the "bottom side") because turbo intake can't suck it into a vacuum without the DV closing and cutting it off.
I drive in vacuum all day long.

😛 I kid.
The following users liked this post:
2006EvoIXer (Jun 25, 2017)
Old Jun 20, 2017, 03:39 PM
kaj

How much are you boosting?
26psi, but not the problem.
If my DV has a faulty diaphragm, maybe that's why I seem to have a leak, but can't find it during a test. I wouldn't think to check there...and that's IF I would even hear it.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 03:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
Well at least I was in the right ballpark. Someday someone will probably come up with an electronic solution, kind of like an MBC vs a 3port BCS. At this point its probably more trouble then its worth, that is until it isn't.
I've actually thought about hooking the bottom side of the diaphram to the EBC side with the WGA. This way, if EBC is purging the boost to keep WGA closed, the bottom of diaphragm will see a vacuum and help DV stay closed. Similarly, when EBC closes to pressurize WGA to open WG, line will pressurize bottom of diaphragm to help open DV. It's a lot if work to experiment, so I just crushed mine.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 03:47 PM

Let me try to explain what I understand and hopefully don't confuse you more.

The top side of diaphragm is connected to intake manifold between throttlebody and valves. When off throttle, it sees a vacuum from pistons sucking and throttlebody being closed.
The bottom side of diaphragm will only see boost because it is plumbed to the pressurized piping between throttlebody and intercooler (same as air we are recirculating with DV). When DV opens from vacuum at top of diaphragm or enough pressure from bottom of diaphragm over coming the spring and top diaphragm pressure, it opens and purges the pressure (recirculating to turbo intake). Onced purged, the bottom of diaphragm sees the same reduced pressure as what's in the pipe between throttlebody and intercooler. You are correct that the bottom side of diaphragm is slightly delayed because of the pathway from source pressure. I think (my opinion) this gives us the nice midrange boost spike before bleeding off the boost in the higher RPMs.

There should never be a vacuum between throttlebody and intercooler (including the "bottom side") because turbo intake can't suck it into a vacuum without the DV closing and cutting it off.
The bottom side of the diaphragm is exposed to the outlet of the DV, in a recirculating system that would be going into the intake, which does see vacuum all the time the engine is running. I think you are mistaking the bottom side of the diaphragm for the actual valve that closes against the pressurized pipe.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 03:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
If my DV has a faulty diaphragm, maybe that's why I seem to have a leak, but can't find it during a test. I wouldn't think to check there...and that's IF I would even hear it.
If your diaphram was leaking, it wouldn't open at 26-27 psi. I think it should hold more pressure before opening since the bottom of diaphragm will have less pressure from leaking into intake manifold.

Take off you DV and pull a vacuum on top diaphragm (nipple). If vacuum goes away, then it's leaking.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by kaj
i just replaced a bad diaphragm in my Greddy type s, trust me you would know during a boost leak test if it was bad, my valve was dumping air, and you could feel it if you put your hand over the output.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

The bottom side of the diaphragm is exposed to the outlet of the DV, in a recirculating system that would be going into the intake, which does see vacuum all the time the engine is running. I think you are mistaking the bottom side of the diaphragm for the actual valve that closes against the pressurized pipe.
The bottom of diaphragm is connected to the intake side of DV through the hole on the side connected to pipe between throttlebody and intercooler.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 03:57 PM

The bottom of diaphragm is connected to the intake side of DV through the hole on the side connected to pipe between throttlebody and intercooler.
Im sure your right, ive had an aftermarket valve since 2005 so my memory of the stock valve is certainly bad. I only ever even throw that plastic crap back on for smog tests.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 04:00 PM
EvoM Guru

On the stock DV, the bottom side of the diaphragm is exposed to charge pipe pressure via that port. That port is on the inlet side of the stock DV.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 04:06 PM

thinking about it my type-S can be setup that way too, it has a little port on it that is meant to be hooked up to a pre-throttlebody boost source. I don't think anything new still has that though. My friend had the type-s too and did hook it up like that, but it caused a boost leak from the shaft seal. F*** im getting old... they discontinued this thing 7 years ago.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 04:08 PM
Evolved Member

Good discussion
Old Jun 20, 2017, 04:09 PM
kaj

If your diaphram was leaking, it wouldn't open at 26-27 psi. I think it should hold more pressure before opening since the bottom of diaphragm will have less pressure from leaking into intake manifold.

Take off you DV and pull a vacuum on top diaphragm (nipple). If vacuum goes away, then it's leaking.
Maybe. Im spoiling 200rpm later than normal...so a small leak, is assume. Grasping at straws, right now, because I am out of ideas LOL

Quick Reply: What limits a bypass valves hp capacity?