Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Rear Differential and suggestions on what to do. The saga continues.

Old Jul 14, 2017, 10:19 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
I've never heard of a $750 DIY kit form TRE. Considering he includes the 12 plate clutch in a rebuild for an extra ~$200, I highly doubt a DIY "kit" is $750, IF he even offers it.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 11:42 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
spec f? first I'm hearing of that. what is the benefit of no oil grooves, how does that make it milder?
That seems to be counter-intuitive.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 04:26 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Here is the japanese website link for spec-F

http://www.cusco.co.jp/catalog/lsd/pec-f.html

Hope Japanese-English translator does a good job. Although they do not say why flat disc is milder and more streetable.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 02:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Since we're talking about LSDs, I'm curious to know if anyone has tried MFactory. They have both a metal plate and helical options for the rear diff.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 03:05 AM
Evolving Member

As an update to the post, I got the rear end out. Holy frame rust. I'll need to make another post on suggestions on how to correct it. I think I will have many of the parts I removed powder coated and reassembled with a large jar of anti-seize. But the diff is out and Jon will have her Monday or Tuesday. He said I would have it back in 3-4 weeks. Which should give me plenty of time to start the repair process.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 04:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I purchased a 06 mr new. 2 miles on it. I am told my transfer cast needs most likely to be rebuilt or replaced. At the sixty thousand mile service I told the dealership to replace all the fluids in the evo. All of them differential is included in all. It appears they did not do that. Can I go after them because they never changed the diff. fluid? Also I purchased a life time warranty from Courtesy Mitsubishi in Attleboro, ma. Can I go after them or am I out of luck? joflm4@gmail.com

Last edited by joflm44; Jul 16, 2017 at 04:37 AM. Reason: Add email
Old Jul 16, 2017, 07:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kaj
That seems to be counter-intuitive.
After listing to Jon for 20 minutes I'd agree. Based on what he said having no oil grooves is like having an eraser with material on the tip from removing the pencil marks. The oil wouldn't be able to remove the material away to "clean the head" to provide the best contact area.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by joflm44
I purchased a 06 mr new. 2 miles on it. I am told my transfer cast needs most likely to be rebuilt or replaced. At the sixty thousand mile service I told the dealership to replace all the fluids in the evo. All of them differential is included in all. It appears they did not do that. Can I go after them because they never changed the diff. fluid? Also I purchased a life time warranty from Courtesy Mitsubishi in Attleboro, ma. Can I go after them or am I out of luck? joflm4@gmail.com
You can sue anybody for anything. The thing is do you have a case? Can you prove the dealer didn't service the transfer case? And if you can, can you prove the lack of service is the cause of the failure?

But why go after anyone? You have a lifetime warranty so use it.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 07:21 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by N1MR0D
After listing to Jon for 20 minutes I'd agree. Based on what he said having no oil grooves is like having an eraser with material on the tip from removing the pencil marks. The oil wouldn't be able to remove the material away to "clean the head" to provide the best contact area.
I'd be willing to buy his plates, if he sold them.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 09:31 PM
Evolving Member

So I had a nice luxury today and got to meet the man behind the curtain at his shop this morning. I delivered my rear diff and he had his assistant tear it down right then and there. It was amazing. He went over every part, what he liked, mostly what he didn't like. How it could be improved. Why it is assembled the way it is. How you can tell what's going on with the unit.

Then I got a tour of the shop and extremely quick education on CNC machining and the art/science of it. I'll tell you what. Impressive does not begin to describe this man. The knowledge. The passion. This is what I'm talking about "selling" someone why they need xyz product. But it sure didn't feel like selling cause he honestly knows how much better it will be with his products.

He gave me some pointers and said he will be in touch. Grassroots. Impressive. I wish there were more people like him. But it makes me appreciate those when you come across them. Thank you guys for steering me to him.
Old May 26, 2018, 07:08 PM
Evolving Member

Well an update a year later guys. The car is still on jack stands in the garage. On the positive it will be getting out soon. On the negative it will be rolling into a body shop to have the rust on the rear frame taken care of. I do have the TRE rear diff to install and break in. New brakes, tires shocks. All of it. Pretty much I am going to have this fix and turn this whip into the winter car while I am looking for a nice rust free WW 2006 SE to be the spring, summer, fall monster. Whatever. I am over being disappointed. Time to move on and tackle the next item up. Some pics for you guys to follow on this one. I'll probably start a new thread because 2006EvoIXer and I are going to do a build thread over the winter. The tires is the groove that was cut into them from the front drivers strut that was damaged by the shop that did the brake job before all this shiz when down. Just dumb all around. I'll follow up when she is repaired.

Who's got a spare motor I can buy and build?
The following users liked this post:
2006EvoIXer (May 26, 2018)
Old Jun 5, 2018, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
good luck to you! very close to Joliet there, I was up there last weekend for the scca PDX at autobahn south. amazing day out