Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo IX 5th-Gear Grind

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2017, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
I'm gonna have to be patient and do this one right. To be honest, I'm looking forward to fixing it. Rebuilding a trans is the only thing I haven't tried on this car. At least it's easier than building an engine (long story, there..).
I look forward to your write up to start learning about transmissions.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 03:45 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by Chrispy0530
Yeah, it sucks that the 6-speeds are such glass-cannons. My MR already came with a 5-Speed swap done to it. So I never had the chance of driving a 6-speed trans.

( People say the shifting feels much better then the 5 speed, as the 5-speed itself feels really notchy compared to the 6-speed. If this is true, I'm glad I haven't driven a 6-speed because I'm pretty happy with my 5-speed lmao ).

Since the trans is already out of the car, I'd personally just have it sent out // rebuilt. I know when I sent my DSM trans out some time ago, the turn around time wasn't bad at all.

Sounds to me like $400 is a good price on a used trans. But you are taking the risk of going by the sellers word. He said it was just 5th, but for all you know there could be more wrong with it. I personally wouldn't chance it. Especially since it would have to come down yet again anyway.
It seems to be preference. People with 6spds will defend them to the death, as owners of 5spds do the same. Kinda weird.
I like how the 6spd shifted vs the 5. Like you said: a lot less nochy. Like butta LOL (I came from the Honda game, so appreciate a nice-shifting trans). I like the positioning of the lever in relation to the steering wheel better with the 6. I also prefer the gear ratios. I think it was the 2-3 shift I didn't like because of the drop in RPM, but I don't really remember. I do like the aftermarket support for the 5 as well as lighter weight (I bench press my transmissions onto the car LOL).

Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer
I look forward to your write up to start learning about transmissions.
To see my write up, download the service manual. That's all I'll be using That and the info already posted here. I'll leave the write-ups for the peeps that know what they are doing haha
Old Jul 9, 2017, 06:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
To see my write up, download the service manual. That's all I'll be using That and the info already posted here. I'll leave the write-ups for the peeps that know what they are doing haha
Old Jul 9, 2017, 10:26 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Kaj broke two of his transmissions because he left out one of the dowel pins that align the trans to the block lol. Make sure those ****ers are in there..
Old Jul 9, 2017, 02:14 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Kaj broke two of his transmissions because he left out one of the dowel pins that align the trans to the block lol. Make sure those ****ers are in there..
In defense of my forgetfulness... it was just one; the original transmission. . Amazing what difference a small round piece of metal can make.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 02:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm convinced amsoil is overpriced. Have used it on 3 cars now. Never impressed had notchy shifts. Ever since switching to redline I have never had any issues.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 03:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My 5spd had the 5th gear grind so I'm used to it,when I switched to amsoil,I started having 4th gear grind and reverse problems after acouple hundred miles I switched to motul 300 it was even worse,I went back to the amsoil,now I just deal with 4th gear grind now even at low rpm.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 03:04 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by loopin10
I'm convinced amsoil is overpriced. Have used it on 3 cars now. Never impressed had notchy shifts. Ever since switching to redline I have never had any issues.
I could believe that. IMO Amsoil is overkill, which makes it overpriced. I've never used their stuff and my car works just great.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
In defense of my forgetfulness... it was just one; the original transmission. . Amazing what difference a small round piece of metal can make.
Yikes!
Old Jul 10, 2017, 07:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by loopin10
Actually, it was significantly cheaper then the MT-90 I purchased from Red-Line. Amsoil synthetic was around $8-9 a quart while Red-Line was roughly $16-$17 per quart.

Still, I'd rather pay the extra price to have my trans shift perfectly.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 09:57 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by Chrispy0530
Still, I'd rather pay the extra price to have my trans shift perfectly.
Postive results = always worth it.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 01:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
Wow, that's good to know. Just curious, what kind of damage did the trans take from the missing dowel pin? Damaged bearings from the case wiggling around?
Old Jul 11, 2017, 01:42 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by butte
Wow, that's good to know. Just curious, what kind of damage did the trans take from the missing dowel pin? Damaged bearings from the case wiggling around?
Busted fork. With the trans being ever-so-slightly rotated and/or off center, the disk wasn't centered on the fly wheel. That caused a vibration, as you can imagine. Like "knock, knock, knock" obvious vibration. After a year of not being able to figure out why it was doing that, it finally gave way. All that shaft movement finally took it's toll on the poor shift fork.

I never had a dowel fall out.. so never thought to look. When i pulled it loose, I found I only had one dowel in.
What a pain in the ***... but I was very relieved to have finally found the problem.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

Good thing a fork was all that broke. Wow!
Originally Posted by kaj
Busted fork. With the trans being ever-so-slightly rotated and/or off center, the disk wasn't centered on the fly wheel. That caused a vibration, as you can imagine. Like "knock, knock, knock" obvious vibration. After a year of not being able to figure out why it was doing that, it finally gave way. All that shaft movement finally took it's toll on the poor shift fork.

I never had a dowel fall out.. so never thought to look. When i pulled it loose, I found I only had one dowel in.
What a pain in the ***... but I was very relieved to have finally found the problem.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 08:04 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer
Good thing a fork was all that broke. Wow!
It's never "just a fork".

Quick Reply: Evo IX 5th-Gear Grind