Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Lean AFR at Idle

Old Jan 2, 2018, 12:15 PM
Account Disabled

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by 4b11slayer
If your afr goes leaner with the brake pedal depressed it can be a vaccum leak at the brake booster.

Go under dash and press brake pedal listen for a hiss noise from booster. Maybe spray brake cleaner at the back of the booster inside the car while pressing the pedal. See if engine stumbles
Did you know that a brake booster has a hole in it to let the air IN.
When you press the pedal the air goes in to relieve the vacuum.........otherwise it won't work as a booster.

So what you're seeing is a normal condition.

And like I said before, the WB sensor has to be before the cat converter.
If it's near the rear o2 sensor thern it's after the cat converter and it will always read lean.

So it's yet another normal condition.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 01:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RightSaid fred
Did you know that a brake booster has a hole in it to let the air IN.
When you press the pedal the air goes in to relieve the vacuum.........otherwise it won't work as a booster.

So what you're seeing is a normal condition.

If it's near the rear o2 sensor thern it's after the cat converter and it will always read lean.

It's installed before the cat, I have "Mistubishi Outlander Turbo"(And rear O2 sensor is before the Cat), which is EDM Suv, based on Evo engine(has smaller turbo from factory, but I've installed evo HKS GTII turbo, and some other Evo mods: MAF, Injectors, Cams, Fuel pump).

Will double check wiring though, maybe it's not installed properly. But on other hand WOT AFR looks good(meaning it's the same as tuner said he tuned for, using his wideband), wouldn't it cause wrong readings at WOT too?
Alternator version seems interesting as well, will log the voltage.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 06:04 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by RightSaid fred

Originally Posted by sowne
I installed it at the end of the downpipe, at 45 degree angle. Around 5-10inches before the rear O2 senror. Is that the wrong place?
Old Jan 3, 2018, 04:19 AM

Ok so, logged the voltage, most of the time it's 14.1-14.2, occasionally drops to 13.9-14.0. I have moved battery to trunk, and voltage on battery ports is a bit lower around 13.8-13.9, when car is idling.

As for Wideband wiring everything seems to fine. Seems like I'm back where I started.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 06:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts
Unsubbed
Old Jan 3, 2018, 09:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
check for leaks, do a boost leak test, check the injector seals run your hand on top and behind the intake manifold for any loose/broken vaccume lines...

check all the vacumme lines, some times they are split from underneath and you cant tell unless you inspect it.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by babaz7
check for leaks, do a boost leak test, check the injector seals run your hand on top and behind the intake manifold for any loose/broken vaccume lines...

check all the vacumme lines, some times they are split from underneath and you cant tell unless you inspect it.
Already did a boos leak test, sprayed with soapy water everything I could think of(injector seals, all the vacuum lines, IC pipes, IC itself, EGR port), also did test with running machine and throttle cleaner, no leaks. One thing though intake doesn't hold static boost, it goes to 15 psi to 0, in around minute. But I think that's ok, probably going through valves.
And don't really think it's boost leak anyway, because AFR is almost close to stoic when cruising, wouldn't it be same or worse in case of boost/vacuum leak?
Trims also look more or less fine(attached logs), at the end where low trims spikes up and afr goes around 19-20, car was still and I pressed brake 15-20times.

I'm suspecting exhaust leak, because front O2 is newly replaced(suspected it to be the cause of this issue and changed it), and if 17-17.5 was the correct AFR wouldn't it affect the trims?
But as I said can't really hear any abnormal noise or see any damage on exhaust.
Attached Files
Old Jan 4, 2018, 06:46 AM
Evolved Member

Already did a boos leak test, sprayed with soapy water everything I could think of(injector seals, all the vacuum lines, IC pipes, IC itself, EGR port), also did test with running machine and throttle cleaner, no leaks. One thing though intake doesn't hold static boost, it goes to 15 psi to 0, in around minute. But I think that's ok, probably going through valves.
And don't really think it's boost leak anyway, because AFR is almost close to stoic when cruising, wouldn't it be same or worse in case of boost/vacuum leak?
Trims also look more or less fine(attached logs), at the end where low trims spikes up and afr goes around 19-20, car was still and I pressed brake 15-20times.

I'm suspecting exhaust leak, because front O2 is newly replaced(suspected it to be the cause of this issue and changed it), and if 17-17.5 was the correct AFR wouldn't it affect the trims?
But as I said can't really hear any abnormal noise or see any damage on exhaust.
replace the exhaust gaskets and then see..
Old Jan 4, 2018, 08:07 AM

Already did that when installed new turbo month ago, installed new turbo to manifold/outlet gaskets as well. Only thing that haven't checked is metal O ring gasket(outlet to downpipe), will try to replace that as well.

Could it be a worn valve seats or burnt valves?
Old Jan 4, 2018, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

Already did that when installed new turbo month ago, installed new turbo to manifold/outlet gaskets as well. Only thing that haven't checked is metal O ring gasket(outlet to downpipe), will try to replace that as well.

Could it be a worn valve seats or burnt valves?
do a compression test and post the results...
if you can do a leak down test aswell.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 09:36 AM

I've done compression test last year, it's terrible, I had like 145, 120, 120, 130 psi, something like this. Car has around 150K miles. And starting to gather parts for rebuild(want to do 2.3 stroker).

What about leak down test, don't think any mechanic does that in my country, unfortunately.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 04:41 PM
Evolved Member

I've done compression test last year, it's terrible, I had like 145, 120, 120, 130 psi, something like this. Car has around 150K miles. And starting to gather parts for rebuild(want to do 2.3 stroker).

What about leak down test, don't think any mechanic does that in my country, unfortunately.
your compression numbers shouldnt be more than 15 psi apart, and on top of that your compression numbers are very low, i think mitsubishi says to service your engine if they are at 130 psi...unfortunately yours are lower..

you said that was last year, it could be even lower now, maybe this is your problem.

even if this is not the problem, still you will have to rebuild your engine because your compression is very low, it should be atleast 160 to be healthy.

i have a built engine and my compression numbers are 180,178,190,180.

maybe time for a new rebuild.

Last edited by babaz7; Jan 4, 2018 at 04:51 PM.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by babaz7
your compression numbers shouldnt be more than 15 psi apart, and on top of that your compression numbers are very low, i think mitsubishi says to service your engine if they are at 130 psi...unfortunately yours are lower..

you said that was last year, it could be even lower now, maybe this is your problem.

even if this is not the problem, still you will have to rebuild your engine because your compression is very low, it should be atleast 160 to be healthy.

i have a built engine and my compression numbers are 180,178,190,180.

maybe time for a new rebuild.
Yap, definitely time for it. Just need some(a lot) time and money to make it happen
Old Jan 5, 2018, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Yap, definitely time for it. Just need some(a lot) time and money to make it happen
Best of luck!
The following users liked this post:
sowne (Jan 5, 2018)
Old Mar 25, 2018, 11:18 PM

Ok swapped to different engine, compressions across all the cylinders are 175PSI +/-2. It still has stock cams. But still same, 17-18AFR at idle, 14-15during cruising, 11-11.5 WOT. What elss can it be?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lean AFR at Idle