Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Lean AFR at Idle

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2017, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lean AFR at Idle

Hi,

I recently installed wideband sensor on my car(installed near the rear O2 sensor), and noticed lean AFR during idle, around 17-17.5. Front O2 sensor fluctuates between 0.5-0.7V when WDB is reading 17-17.5. I get more or less better AFR reading when cruising around 15-15.5. Any ideas why it is so lean at idle?

My setup:
Gsc S1 Cams,
Blitz Air filter.

Checked for boost leaks. No issues there.
Also didn't see any exhaust leaks, when visually inspected.

P.S. Don't know if it's realted or issue at all, but noticed that when pressing brakes during idle, AFR goes around 19-20.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 03:39 AM

Anyone? help please.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 04:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sowne
Anyone? help please.
maybe its a tuning issue, show it to a tuner, he can mess with timing and fuel and make it better.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 05:37 AM
Evolved Member

Hi,

I recently installed wideband sensor on my car(installed near the rear O2 sensor), and noticed lean AFR during idle, around 17-17.5. Front O2 sensor fluctuates between 0.5-0.7V when WDB is reading 17-17.5. I get more or less better AFR reading when cruising around 15-15.5. Any ideas why it is so lean at idle?

My setup:
Gsc S1 Cams,
Blitz Air filter.

Checked for boost leaks. No issues there.
Also didn't see any exhaust leaks, when visually inspected.

P.S. Don't know if it's realted or issue at all, but noticed that when pressing brakes during idle, AFR goes around 19-20.
when you installed your cams and air filter did you get your car tuned? if not then it explains the lean AFR's because you need to get it tuned after installing cams.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 07:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Maybe a voltage issue. Just throwing that out there since pressing on the brakes shouldn't change a thing. Maybe the Alt is going out.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Teal2nnr
Maybe a voltage issue. Just throwing that out there since pressing on the brakes shouldn't change a thing. Maybe the Alt is going out.
it might be, recently my serpentine belt was slipping causing lean conditions and bucking.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 11:17 AM

Thanks for replies guys!
I got tuned after I changed those things, I though it was exhaust leak issue since my manifold had little crack but I changed manifold, and it still remained. Tuner says this lean conditiin is caused by cams, meaning big overlap, and says he can't get it more rich.

Originally Posted by babaz7
it might be, recently my serpentine belt was slipping causing lean conditions and bucking.
What was the system voltage when you had that issue? I don't rally have any other issue(well turbo needs rebuild), idle is stable and runs/pulls more or less fine.

What causes confusion for me is that, O2 thinks afr is fine, as I understand 0.5-0.7volts doesn't mean it's lean. Also what that braking making it more lean, is it normal behaivor?
Old Dec 31, 2017, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for replies guys!
I got tuned after I changed those things, I though it was exhaust leak issue since my manifold had little crack but I changed manifold, and it still remained. Tuner says this lean conditiin is caused by cams, meaning big overlap, and says he can't get it more rich.

What was the system voltage when you had that issue? I don't rally have any other issue(well turbo needs rebuild), idle is stable and runs/pulls more or less fine.

What causes confusion for me is that, O2 thinks afr is fine, as I understand 0.5-0.7volts doesn't mean it's lean. Also what that braking making it more lean, is it normal behaivor?
i didnt log the voltage, my serpentine belt was slipping and getting chewed up by the water pump, this was causing altenator not to work properly as the belt was slipping, i put on a tighter belt and the lean condition was gone.

if you can try replacing the altenator aswell.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 05:51 PM
Account Disabled

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
You've probably fitted the sensor in the wrong place.

I recently installed wideband sensor on my car(installed near the rear O2 sensor),
Old Dec 31, 2017, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by RightSaid fred
You've probably fitted the sensor in the wrong place.
I installed it at the end of the downpipe, at 45 degree angle. Around 5-10inches before the rear O2 senror. Is that the wrong place?
Old Jan 1, 2018, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
I installed it at the end of the downpipe, at 45 degree angle. Around 5-10inches before the rear O2 senror. Is that the wrong place?
That's fine.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 11:25 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Make sure the wideband has clean power and a clean ground. If it does not, it will show symptoms like you are seeing.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 05:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 269 Likes on 207 Posts
Tuner says this lean conditiin is caused by cams, meaning big overlap, and says he can't get it more rich.
that is BS... I have gsc S2s and have perfect 14.7 idle even when I turn off the O2 sensor closed loop...

I would check the fueling with the OE O2 sensor closed loop correction turned off.. thast way you have good base fueling and can then see if the O2 sensor is giving you trouble..

which WB are you using?
Old Jan 2, 2018, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts
If your afr goes leaner with the brake pedal depressed it can be a vaccum leak at the brake booster.

Go under dash and press brake pedal listen for a hiss noise from booster. Maybe spray brake cleaner at the back of the booster inside the car while pressing the pedal. See if engine stumbles
Old Jan 2, 2018, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 269 Likes on 207 Posts
yeah, maybe he could block the vacuum line just to se if it behaves normally

Quick Reply: Lean AFR at Idle