Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Rough cost of reliable 500whp on fp red or black

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2018, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rough cost of reliable 500whp on fp red or black

I am trying to do some cost analysis if I switch from my STI to an Evo 8/9 for obtaining 500whp if I will really be saving money or splitting even. I know in the STI for 500whp on an fp black it about 20k. I was wondering how much it will cost on an Evo to be done right an obtain 500whp on an fp black/red on e85?
Old Jan 27, 2018, 05:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Way less that 20k
Old Jan 27, 2018, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by wht95scort
Way less that 20k
besides turbo back, turbo, injectors, intake, clutch, fuel rails, and fuel pump. What else would I need to do this right?
Old Jan 27, 2018, 07:25 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 575 Likes on 431 Posts
Originally Posted by jgr208
besides turbo back, turbo, injectors, intake, clutch, fuel rails, and fuel pump. What else would I need to do this right?
Stock fuel rail is fine for 500whp, evos don't use retarded side feed injectors so you can run aftermarket injectors on a stock rail.

Besides what you've got listed you'd probably want an intercooler and E85. That's pretty much all you'd need, granted there's plenty of ways to skin this cat.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by ayoustin
Stock fuel rail is fine for 500whp, evos don't use retarded side feed injectors so you can run aftermarket injectors on a stock rail.

Besides what you've got listed you'd probably want an intercooler and E85. That's pretty much all you'd need, granted there's plenty of ways to skin this cat.
Lol this is true. Does anyone make a flex fuel kit? Since e85 is like 30 mins away from me I would be using pump for road driving and e85 for Dyno and tracking or having fun legally on the street.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 08:58 PM
EvoM Guru

Lol this is true. Does anyone make a flex fuel kit? Since e85 is like 30 mins away from me I would be using pump for road driving and e85 for Dyno and tracking or having fun legally on the street.
There's no such thing as a flex fuel kit like what Cobb makes for Subarus. You can have a dual tune that uses different tables for timing and fuel based on the fuel you're using, it's all just done through the stock ECU. Any decent tuner can set that up for you.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 09:08 PM

There's no such thing as a flex fuel kit like what Cobb makes for Subarus. You can have a dual tune that uses different tables for timing and fuel based on the fuel you're using, it's all just done through the stock ECU. Any decent tuner can set that up for you.
I'm mainly looking if they have something where if I have to get 93 and still have 85 in the tank or opposite, that the ecu parameters can be changed based on the ethenol content of it's running at like e80 instead of 85
Old Jan 27, 2018, 09:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Depends on if your doing all the work your self or not . Assuming your starting with a stock Evo and your not upgrading the bottom end , you can probably do it for around 6k-7K give or take.

Turbo FP Black ?
FP Exahaust Manifold
Turbo back exhaust
Injectors and Pump
Cams
Intercooler and maybe rest of pipes
Clutch
Good Tune

Im not sure if Im missing anything else but thats about it for the most part.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by BluEVOIX
Depends on if your doing all the work your self or not . Assuming your starting with a stock Evo and your not upgrading the bottom end , you can probably do it for around 6k-7K give or take.

Turbo FP Black ?
FP Exahaust Manifold
Turbo back exhaust
Injectors and Pump
Cams
Intercooler and maybe rest of pipes
Clutch
Good Tune

Im not sure if Im missing anything else but thats about it for the most part.
At what power should I start building the bottom end. I know for a Subaru anything about like 350 your pushing it lol.

Also I'll try to do most myself. My bro in law worked on evos when he was younger and have read.the injectors and other components are easier to reach than on an sti.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 10:49 PM
EvoM Guru

At what power should I start building the bottom end. I know for a Subaru anything about like 350 your pushing it lol.

Also I'll try to do most myself. My bro in law worked on evos when he was younger and have read.the injectors and other components are easier to reach than on an sti.
Fuel trims can account for a decent amount of difference in ethanol content.

The stock bottom end is fine as long as you keep torque below 400, lots of guys have made over 600hp on a stock bottom end without issue.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 01:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am trying to do some cost analysis if I switch from my STI to an Evo 8/9 for obtaining 500whp if I will really be saving money or splitting even. I know in the STI for 500whp on an fp black it about 20k. I was wondering how much it will cost on an Evo to be done right an obtain 500whp on an fp black/red on e85?
Really I did 525/425 wheel horsepower/ torque for about $9000. That using mostly BushurRacing stuff and a FP Green. I loved that setup. It was a great street car setup.
Buschur Stage4 and exedy twin and maybe a tcase rebuild and you should be good. E85 is also your friend.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
There is the fitronic setup that Tom from Tscomptuned sells , I believe there may be a few others that do too, from my understanding it adjusts the tune based on your ethanol % in your fuel. Of course there is a lot setup involved in the tuning side , but the kit is plug and play.So basically most 93 octanes which are usually 10% ethanol all the way up to e85 or higher.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Its not so much the HP but the torque that you need to worry about and how low in the RPM range. Rule of thumb on an Evo bottom end (piston, rods, etc..) is try to keep the torque at less than around 420-400 WTQ . The lower the wtq is , the “safer” .

My car for example on FP Black with SS hotside made close to 560 WHP and 420 WTQ with meth injection. I have taken out the meth injection to later detune to what ever it can do on just 93 octane when I have time. I’m pretty confident it will be above 500 whp. Its a summer once in a while weekend driver only, so it wont get driven till it warmer Spring season gets in.

Here is a car that is somewhat close to my setup except I have the turbo SS hotside housing while he has the more restrictive MHI. The SS hotside is a 3” V band exit on the turbo hotside and is known to make a good amount more whp.

512-515 WHP , the Tuner estimates close to 540 WHP if he had the SS housing
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-s3-93oct.html

SS Vband Hotside Housing

VS

MHI
Old Jan 28, 2018, 09:55 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by ctfpevoVIII
There is the fitronic setup that Tom from Tscomptuned sells , I believe there may be a few others that do too, from my understanding it adjusts the tune based on your ethanol % in your fuel. Of course there is a lot setup involved in the tuning side , but the kit is plug and play.So basically most 93 octanes which are usually 10% ethanol all the way up to e85 or higher.
Yea, but why pay money for a kit like that when you can just use a dual tune and be fine. Fuels trims can account for a pretty decent discrepancy in ethanol. How do you think a factory car can run 0% ethanol up to 10% ethanol without skipping a beat? The fuel trims are adjusting for the difference in specific gravity of the fuels.

I use a dual tune without any flex fuel kit, zero issues. When you want to change fuels, just wait until you've only got a couple gallons left and then fill up with the other stuff.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
Yea, but why pay money for a kit like that when you can just use a dual tune and be fine. Fuels trims can account for a pretty decent discrepancy in ethanol. How do you think a factory car can run 0% ethanol up to 10% ethanol without skipping a beat? The fuel trims are adjusting for the difference in specific gravity of the fuels.

I use a dual tune without any flex fuel kit, zero issues. When you want to change fuels, just wait until you've only got a couple gallons left and then fill up with the other stuff.
Good point not going to argue that

Quick Reply: Rough cost of reliable 500whp on fp red or black