Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Broken Balance Shaft Belt

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2018, 09:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Can anyone chime in as to why a broken balance shaft belt would result in a loss of power though?? I see here arguments of whether it will damage the engine over time, but I don’t see why I would be at a loss of power. I didn’t want to beat on the car so I can’t say with 100% certainty it lost “power” but the car was not reacting properly to the amount of throttle input I was giving... It still moved quite well though at max boost, with very generous throttle, maybe 75%. Spool up was definitely affected. Would the ecu sense an issue with the balancing system and throw a code and reduce power? I’m still at a loss and wont have the car back until tomorrow most likely.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
I can't think of how it will cause a loss of power. It will be off balance because the front balance shaft will cause left and right vibration (front and back if you're sitting in car). But you have 1 less rotating mass to spin, so you should gain half of the claimed 15 whp...like a lightened flywheel!

Originally Posted by captiveis1
Can anyone chime in as to why a broken balance shaft belt would result in a loss of power though?? I see here arguments of whether it will damage the engine over time, but I don’t see why I would be at a loss of power. I didn’t want to beat on the car so I can’t say with 100% certainty it lost “power” but the car was not reacting properly to the amount of throttle input I was giving... It still moved quite well though at max boost, with very generous throttle, maybe 75%. Spool up was definitely affected. Would the ecu sense an issue with the balancing system and throw a code and reduce power? I’m still at a loss and wont have the car back until tomorrow most likely.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 11:27 AM

That’s what I was thinking
Which now has me worried... lol
Old Feb 18, 2018, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

That’s what I was thinking
Which now has me worried... lol
It's possible that your knock sensor started picking up knock from the belt flapping around and retarded your timing. Or knock sensor picking up noises from mounts or downpipe caused by front BS.

Last edited by 2006EvoIXer; Feb 18, 2018 at 11:55 AM.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Is the belt timing correct?
Old Feb 18, 2018, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

I just reread your original post. It doesn't seem possible to jump a tooth from BS belt breaking. Unless a piece got in between the timing belt and tensioner pulley and when it rolled through the tensioner pulley, the crank sprocket jumped a tooth before timing belt tensioner adjusted. But how could that happen without pulling the timing belt completely off?

Last edited by 2006EvoIXer; Feb 18, 2018 at 12:39 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 01:09 PM

I have no clue. Timing was checked and everything was fine, the BS belt was just in pieces when we got off the covers. Only other damage was the oil pressure pulley had nicks on it, which I’m assuming happened when the belt snapped. I’m just at a loss here. I’m trying to self diagnose but the pieces aren’t adding up. Is there any other system in that vicinity that would throw a VVT system code, but not be the timing belt and not affect idle whatsoever?
Old Feb 18, 2018, 01:11 PM

My immediate thought is oil pressure.
I wish I had a gauge to monitor it
Old Feb 18, 2018, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

Oil pressure makes sense.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer
Oil pressure makes sense.
It looks like the timing belt is the only thing interacting with the oil pressure pulley... maybe pieces of that belt got stuck or messed with that pulley, causing some issues?
I didn’t get an oil pressure light, though
Old Feb 18, 2018, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

Check your intake cam to see if there's a crack letting oil out. Check plastic all around and check for oil leakage.

It looks like the timing belt is the only thing interacting with the oil pressure pulley... maybe pieces of that belt got stuck or messed with that pulley, causing some issues?
Old Feb 18, 2018, 04:55 PM
Evolved Member

I just can't think of any way you can injure your oil pump. It's protected by the oil pump sprocket. Maybe check oil sprocket gear for groves? But cover broke, so cover took most of the punishment.

Last edited by 2006EvoIXer; Feb 18, 2018 at 05:20 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 05:18 PM

Will do. Going to check on it tomorrow and hopefully I’ll have more info. The whole thing is strange to me
Old Feb 18, 2018, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

Will do. Going to check on it tomorrow and hopefully I’ll have more info. The whole thing is strange to me
It is mind boggling...
Old Feb 19, 2018, 10:07 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by ayoustin
I have a good amount of experience developing balance shaft systems for OEMs. I've literally reviewed hundreds of hours of run data on engines, talked about this same stuff with other engineers who design these systems for a living, seen results first hand. Removing balance shafts will cause no damage to an engine. They are only for NVH purposes.

There are TONS of 4 cylinder engines that don't use balance shaft systems and you don't hear of them chewing through bearings because they vibrate so badly. And if you think that a 4 cylinder engine without balance shafts has a lot of vibrations, you should see the kind of vibrations an odd firing V10 has. I've talked to engineers who've had viper engines rip motor mounts out of the walls they were mounted to because they were vibrating so badly.

Or an odd fire V6. I used to hate riding in the old class 7 off road trucks that ran the old odd fire V6 nascar Busch series motors. ****ing blenders man...lol

Timing could have jumped. Knock sensor could have been picking up the noises of the belt flapping around as knock. The odd harmonics of having only one shaft spinning may been freaking out the knock sensor, and the ECU can pull a lot of timing, which will hurt power.

It's not oil pressure. The timing belt is either on the oil pump gear and spinning it, or it's not.
The following users liked this post:
2006EvoIXer (Feb 19, 2018)

Quick Reply: Broken Balance Shaft Belt