Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Dirty intake manifold? Evo 8

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2018, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dirty intake manifold? Evo 8

what’s up everyone? So picked up my evo a few weeks ago and I have been slowly going through it. I looked down the intake manifold and it’s got a lot of carbon build up. Is this normal? I was thinking about pulling it off but it seems like a real pain. I have the injectors off right now so I can send them in for service. I tried looking through the forums for the best cleaning but didn’t really come up with much. Thanks!

Last edited by cameronmahbay; Mar 28, 2018 at 10:58 AM.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 10:58 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
That looks like a pretty bad case, but I have seen it happen. The oem setup forces the intake manifold to vacuum crank case fumes, which could cause extra build up. On top of that, you have the EGR system spewing exhaust fumes into the mani. I would use a can or 2 of brake cleaner on the inside of the manifold before installing it. It can be cleaned and restored.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Pal215
That looks like a pretty bad case, but I have seen it happen. The oem setup forces the intake manifold to vacuum crank case fumes, which could cause extra build up. On top of that, you have the EGR system spewing exhaust fumes into the mani. I would use a can or 2 of brake cleaner on the inside of the manifold before installing it. It can be cleaned and restored.
so best just to take it off? Damn lol
Old Mar 28, 2018, 11:01 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by cameronmahbay

so best just to take it off? Damn lol
Yup, it's a pita, but well worth the time as you don't have to worry about all that caked on sludge going into your combustion chamber. It's nasty and chewy stuff for the engine that if broken loose could cause knock.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Pal215
Yup, it's a pita, but well worth the time as you don't have to worry about all that caked on sludge going into your combustion chamber. It's nasty and chewy stuff for the engine that if broken loose could cause knock.

gotchya! Thanks 👍🏼
Old Mar 28, 2018, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
Remove it and clean it properly. Same with the throttle body. Then do an EGR delete, and run a catch can. Problem solved and prevented from happening again in the future
Old Mar 28, 2018, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
The lazy way is to Seafoam the crap out of it.
But do it the right way: take it off, clean it out, and replace the gaskets. It is a lot of work and while you're at it, replace all the tubing behind and under the manifold.