Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Suspect head gasket compromised? Evo8

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2018, 09:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suspect head gasket compromised? Evo8

So guys,
i know the topic is very popular, but just need some of you guys to chime in on your experience and knowledge on this issue I am having . Car has all the basic bolt on and running fp54 turbo. Making just around 440whp on a dyno dynamic . Just recently notice after some hard pulls the reserve bottle would come up pass halfway mark and looks like it spits out some of the coolant on the front fender gurard . I believe the head gasket might be compromisd. I changed the radiator cap to oem and also check dip stick for anything unusual . Also car doesn't smoke or anything like that . Just not at ease that the level raises in the reserve bottle. I am not sure if the previous owner have Arp bolts and head studs in but the car have cams. Also just to mention car doesn' t overheat at all never pass the half mark. I am planning to remove the head and do the head gasket and install some Arp bolts if it doesn' have any . Should I run the head by the machine shop even though it doesn' overheat ?
i would appreciate any feedback as to what actions I should do before pulling the head and if to get the head machine when off thanks.
Old May 26, 2018, 10:07 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
If the head head comes off, the mating surface needs to be machined.

You can do a block test to see if it's the gasket. Most autoparts stores rent the tool. You just have to buy the fluid.
Old May 26, 2018, 09:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
If the head head comes off, the mating surface needs to be machined.

You can do a block test to see if it's the gasket. Most autoparts stores rent the tool. You just have to buy the fluid.
I'll find out thanks.