Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

In need of an oil catch can. What do yall use?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2018, 09:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
In need of an oil catch can. What do yall use?

My dip stick keeps popping out under boost. Had to put a spring on it to hold it down. Which is why im looking for a catch can to help out with the crank case pressure.

im looking at sheepey builts atm.

Inputs? What do you all use?
Old Jun 20, 2018, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
A catch can doesnt necessarily assist lowering CC pressure, but rather is used inline so you dont gunk up your intake and intercooler. Take a look at this thread here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...re-issues.html

Personally when I blew out my dipstick I opted to open up the side vent on my VC to 5/8" and removed my baffles to clean out the VC then drilled and tapped to reinstall them. No more CC issues for me, well at least my old motor was fine with just that. We shall see how the new motor does.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 04:22 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by heel2toe
A catch can doesnt necessarily assist lowering CC pressure, but rather is used inline so you dont gunk up your intake and intercooler. Take a look at this thread here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...re-issues.html

Personally when I blew out my dipstick I opted to open up the side vent on my VC to 5/8" and removed my baffles to clean out the VC then drilled and tapped to reinstall them. No more CC issues for me, well at least my old motor was fine with just that. We shall see how the new motor does.
+1

OP, you want to find a way to place a vacuum on your valve cover without getting the intake manifold dirty. A dirty intake manifold can introduce contaminants into the cylinders and induce knock. The stock PCV system does a good job of this when not in boost, but when the boost comes on, the PCV valve shuts. That bad part about that is most of your crank case pressure is generated while in boost and has to escape from the tiny holy in the side of the valve cover. The solution, as mentioned above, is to drill out the valve cover breather. Look for a closed catch can setup that takes advantage of your engines vacuum when not in boost. One way to generate vacuum while in boost is by using a downpipe Evac scavenger kit, but that's not needed in most cases.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
Back of valve cover - STM -10 fitting. -10 AN hose straight to K&N filter.
Side of valve cover - Drilled 1/2" NPT thread to -10 AN, hose straight to another K&N filter.

done.