Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Wierd Idle problem

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2018, 10:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Wierd Idle problem

Ever since I have put some mods my idle is weird sometimes and I mean rarely.

I never had this problem before I put the mods in. Last time I drove the car before I put in the mods was in November when it was completely stock. Over the winter/spring I had started it up a couple times so it ran. Then I put in some mods in this May put about 150 miles on the car with them WITHOUT A TUNE. The mods are 3.5 ets intecooler, evo 9 bov, STM piping and JM Fab intake pipe with K&N cone also relocated the battery. The car idles/pulls/runs great otherwise, vacuum at idle is -18/-19 at idle and it boosts to 18/19 psi when in boost(mechanical gauge so I can't tell exactly. Did not catch the vacuum when this happens since it happens so rarely and I can't always catch my self to look at the gauge when it happens. Also it has been pretty hot in my area lately. Now to the issue.

If I am in traffic pulling up because the person in front of me pulled up. I put the car in 1st edge up and then clutch into neutral the idle drops to about 300-500 then goes back up to 850-900, this doesn't happen all the time, most of the time it won't happen at all after clutching in to neutral and the idle just goes to 900/ normal idle! Same with maneuvering into my parking spot in my backyard(Its a weird arrangement I have to do about a 6 point turn, anything to get it into the garage lol) I pull up after opening the gate to my backyard, clutch in then to neutral and the the idle drops to 300-500 then goes back to normal when I do it again to pull into the garage spot it doesn't happen. So the issue is very intermittent.

I have read that it could be IAC(maybe) or lack of tune(car getting feed more air due to bigger piping and not adding more fuel in) or crankwalk but I doubt its crankwalk(knock on wood) because it only happens very rarely/idle doesn't drop when pressing clutch in standing still(actually idle NEVER dropped when standing still and pressed clutch in done it about 50 times the other day along with all the other times I have been driving/at stop signs/lights and it didn't happen) The car has been stock it's entire life from what other car savvy friends and I could tell. Also I didn't drive the car between the last time I drove it in November when this didn't happen till now when it does after putting in the mods I listed. Also got fresh 93 octane in so crappy fuel is out. What do you guys think it is?

I also have read on here that the metal air intake pipe could be causing this(back to more air and not enough fuel issue) and people switch it out to the stock one but I don't want to run the stock one as I want to make more hp. I plan on getting a tune once I put in my DC sports downpipe and Greddy Ti-C exhaust in which should be in about 2 weeks. Also will be putting in a AEM Air Fuel ratio gauge before I get the tune. Going to CBRD. They will also do the 60K timing belt service with all OEM parts.

Let me know what you think

Last edited by TomekEVO; Jul 18, 2018 at 11:24 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 10:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts
Needs a tune.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 10:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by huzzle101
Needs a tune.
You think so? Not going against your word but what are you basing your answer on?
Old Jul 18, 2018, 11:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
What kind of BOV do you have? Modifying the intake as you did means that the stock MAF scaling is now off, so it needs to be re-scaled. I recommend that you tune it & perhaps convert to SD. One other thing to check is the stepper motor, it might need cleaning or even replacing.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 11:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by foxbat
What kind of BOV do you have? Modifying the intake as you did means that the stock MAF scaling is now off, so it needs to be re-scaled. I recommend that you tune it & perhaps convert to SD. One other thing to check is the stepper motor, it might need cleaning or even replacing.
Forgot to add that I switched out to the metal Evo 9 bov! I knew I was forgetting something in my post, Its recirculated back to the intake pipe as well.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 08:20 PM
Evolving Member

Anyone else?
Old Jul 19, 2018, 11:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
It's tune related. When you switch the stock intake pipe out for the aftermarket aluminum style intake pipe it messes with the maf and makes the car run like dog poo. Ran the exact same intake pipe on my car back when it was on a stock turbo and had all sorts of issues with it. Get the turd tuned and she will drive like money.