Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Forged pistons on stock rods...WHY? and what to do...?

 
Old Jul 28, 2018, 09:41 PM
  #1  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
schmeevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 32
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Forged pistons on stock rods...WHY? and what to do...?

Well evoM community, I need your help here. I purchased a nice evo8 with around 35k miles under two years ago. It needed a little TLC in the cooling department, but that has since been resolved.

When I purchased the car I saw that it had forged pistons (unknown make), BUT stock rods. I can not figure out for the life of me why someone would do this, or what benefit it can possibly have?

Currently running a garrett 3582r with supporting mods.
Sitting at 370whp/311tq on a mustang dyno on 28psi.

My dilemma is this...do i upgrade to some GSC S2 cams + valvesprings/retainers next? Or... pull this frankenmotor and do new 10:1 pistons / rod combo before I touch the head?

I've attached the dyno sheet to show spool in case anyone has ideas about any effects of these pistons. Second image is before & after the cooling improvements. The car runs great and I'm treating it like a stock bottom end. Any input or advice you have is much appreciated!


Tuning session results July 2018


Before & after cooling improvements
schmeevo is offline  
Old Jul 28, 2018, 11:29 PM
  #2  
Evolved Member
iTrader: (1)
 
2006EvoIXer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: California
Posts: 2,877
Received 146 Likes on 138 Posts
This will depend on your budget. Cams install is cheap but if you have the funds for rod/piston upgrade, why not fo all at same time? Make sure the machine shop installing rods and pistons also prep the rest of your block and blue print your build. If you were planning on popping in new rods and pistons from the box, then I would say don't touch your bottom end because you will compromise it's reliability.
2006EvoIXer is online now  
Old Jul 28, 2018, 11:55 PM
  #3  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
schmeevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 32
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer View Post
This will depend on your budget. Cams install is cheap but if you have the funds for rod/piston upgrade, why not fo all at same time? Make sure the machine shop installing rods and pistons also prep the rest of your block and blue print your build. If you were planning on popping in new rods and pistons from the box, then I would say don't touch your bottom end because you will compromise it's reliability.
I'd love to do it all at the same time, though I feel that I can do cams without the bottom end...but not the other way around. The difference between a $2k upgrade and a $5k upgrade and I'm not sure I can swing the full build in the upcoming year. What would could compromise the reliability? I would have a reputable shop do the install.
schmeevo is offline  
Old Jul 29, 2018, 12:20 AM
  #4  
Evolved Member
iTrader: (1)
 
2006EvoIXer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: California
Posts: 2,877
Received 146 Likes on 138 Posts
Do your research on their build. Make sure they provide a blueprint with their build. You should have the specs for when you need a refresh.
Your decision on what to do will be decided by your budget. Lol
2006EvoIXer is online now  
The following users liked this post:
schmeevo (Jul 30, 2018)
Old Jul 29, 2018, 11:47 AM
  #5  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
schmeevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 32
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer View Post
Do your research on their build. Make sure they provide a blueprint with their build. You should have the specs for when you need a refresh.
Your decision on what to do will be decided by your budget. Lol
It's tough, I'm trying to figure out this mystery machine. Very happy for where it is right now but I'll make sure I cover my bases going forward. Everything depends on budget lol, but i'm really looking for opinions on what others would do given my current situation.
schmeevo is offline  
Old Jul 29, 2018, 12:24 PM
  #6  
Evolved Member
iTrader: (4)
 
ctfpevoVIII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: connecticut
Posts: 857
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by schmeevo View Post
It's tough, I'm trying to figure out this mystery machine. Very happy for where it is right now but I'll make sure I cover my bases going forward. Everything depends on budget lol, but i'm really looking for opinions on what others would do given my current situation.
yeah sounds pretty stupid for someone to go and install new forged pistons but leave the rods , total waste of time . I would leave it alone for now and install the cams . What part of Ct do you live in? I would give Raif from RRT a call really good with evo’s and tuning and really nice and honest guy, little far though his shop is in Canton.
ctfpevoVIII is offline  
The following users liked this post:
schmeevo (Jul 30, 2018)
Old Jul 30, 2018, 04:47 PM
  #7  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
schmeevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 32
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ctfpevoVIII View Post

yeah sounds pretty stupid for someone to go and install new forged pistons but leave the rods , total waste of time . I would leave it alone for now and install the cams . What part of Ct do you live in? I would give Raif from RRT a call really good with evo’s and tuning and really nice and honest guy, little far though his shop is in Canton.
I'm actually not very far from RRT at all but I didn't even know they were there! EFI Logics has been an excellent shop to work with and their service and tuning are top notch. I see that RRT does drive train services as well though, that is HUGE! I'll make sure I keep them in mind, it looks like an excellent shop.
schmeevo is offline  
Old Jul 30, 2018, 04:54 PM
  #8  
kaj
Evolved Member
iTrader: (58)
 
kaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 10,596
Received 324 Likes on 308 Posts
I thought forged pistons couldn't work on stock rods...? If so, I'd assume they did it for detonation resistance.
kaj is offline  
The following users liked this post:
schmeevo (Jul 30, 2018)
Old Jul 30, 2018, 05:27 PM
  #9  
Evolved Member
iTrader: (1)
 
letsgetthisdone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 12,536
Received 757 Likes on 710 Posts
The engine may have needed refreshed and new connecting rods simply weren't in the budget..

How did you confirm that it has aftermarket pistons?
letsgetthisdone is online now  
Old Jul 30, 2018, 05:37 PM
  #10  
kaj
Evolved Member
iTrader: (58)
 
kaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 10,596
Received 324 Likes on 308 Posts
edit: NM.
kaj is offline  
Old Jul 30, 2018, 07:05 PM
  #11  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
schmeevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 32
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone View Post
The engine may have needed refreshed and new connecting rods simply weren't in the budget..

How did you confirm that it has aftermarket pistons?
The shop that I purchased the car from was doing some general maintenance pre-sale, dropped the oil pan and took pictures. I'll see if i can locate the photo tomorrow and post it.
schmeevo is offline  
Old Jul 31, 2018, 03:30 AM
  #12  
Evolving Member
iTrader: (1)
 
TrendSetter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: florduh
Posts: 299
Likes: 0
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
you did a really good job cleaning it up
TrendSetter is offline  
The following users liked this post:
schmeevo (Jul 31, 2018)
Old Jul 31, 2018, 06:47 AM
  #13  
Evolved Member
iTrader: (4)
 
ctfpevoVIII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: connecticut
Posts: 857
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by schmeevo View Post
I'm actually not very far from RRT at all but I didn't even know they were there! EFI Logics has been an excellent shop to work with and their service and tuning are top notch. I see that RRT does drive train services as well though, that is HUGE! I'll make sure I keep them in mind, it looks like an excellent shop.
seeing that your close to RRT you should at least speak to Raif and ask him for his advise on what your thinking about doing, and yeah I just had him build my tranny.
ctfpevoVIII is offline  
Old Nov 2, 2018, 08:15 AM
  #14  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
schmeevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 32
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry for the long delay. I realize these photos aren't the greatest, but they were what I had when I first purchased the car. It looks like 232 is written on the underside of one of them. Anyone know what that could mean from an engine building perspective?


Aftermarket piston stock rods 1

Aftermarket piston stock rods 2

Aftermarket piston stock rods 3
schmeevo is offline  
Old Nov 2, 2018, 08:51 AM
  #15  
Evolved Member
 
Biggiesacks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: The Bay Area
Posts: 3,608
Received 239 Likes on 224 Posts
If your goals are sub 500whp I would leave the bottom end alone. That's assuming there aren't any issues with it.
Biggiesacks is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Forged pistons on stock rods...WHY? and what to do...?


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.