Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Question for Center Diff

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2018, 06:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Youre right. Never quite thought of it as a diff. But there is no front to rear bias split. Its 50/50

Awesome! I'm researching to build my spare TC. Do you know where I can find more info on its internals? Thanks!
Old Aug 16, 2018, 07:26 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by 3gturbo
Shouldn't it be named like this
1. Front diff inside trans
2. Center Diff inside the tcase (ACD active center diff)
3. Rear diff in the rearend
This just seems logical to me Ive been wrong before though.
No. That's not how it works.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Most people don't understand what a differential is or does. However, at our local school, in the science class storage room, was a cut open chrome plated automotive differential. I played with it for a few minutes and the light bulb illuminated. BTW, this was a beautiful unbreakable toy, they should put one in every school. It would answer many of the questions on how the Evo or any vehicle's drive train works.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 08:19 AM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The center diff is inside of the transmission. There's a clutch pack that is housed inside of the transfer case powered by a hydraulic pump that the ECU uses to control the difference in rotation between the front and rear wheels through the center differential.
The following users liked this post:
INLUSIVE (Nov 19, 2021)
Old Aug 17, 2018, 08:58 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by butte
The center diff is inside of the transmission. There's a clutch pack that is housed inside of the transfer case powered by a hydraulic pump that the ECU uses to control the difference in rotation between the front and rear wheels through the center differential.
Just making sure we are all on the same page. See image above. Both the LSD & the ACD diff are in the transfer case

The tranny is just a transmission w/no active electronic wizardry (all the ACD functions are based in the T-Case)

Old Aug 17, 2018, 12:44 PM
EvoM Guru

Just making sure we are all on the same page. See image above. Both the LSD & the ACD diff are in the transfer case

The tranny is just a transmission w/no active electronic wizardry (all the ACD functions are based in the T-Case)

Wrong.

The ACD clutch pack is in the tcase. The actual center differential (the spider gears and carrier) is in the transmission. The ACD is "part" of the center diff. It is not, in and of itself, "the" center diff.

When looking at the trans output with the tcase off, there are two outputs (one is smaller OD, and longer, it comes out the inside of the larger OD and shorter one). These two out pits are each connected to one side Gear of the center diff that is INSIDE the transmission. One drives the tcase ring Gear, which drives the rear wheels, the other splines into the front diff and drives the front wheels. The ACD acts only on the center diff which is inside the trans.
2006EvoIXer (Aug 18, 2018)
Old Aug 17, 2018, 03:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Wrong.

The ACD clutch pack is in the tcase. The actual center differential (the spider gears and carrier) is in the transmission. The ACD is "part" of the center diff. It is not, in and of itself, "the" center diff.

When looking at the trans output with the tcase off, there are two outputs (one is smaller OD, and longer, it comes out the inside of the larger OD and shorter one). These two out pits are each connected to one side Gear of the center diff that is INSIDE the transmission. One drives the tcase ring Gear, which drives the rear wheels, the other splines into the front diff and drives the front wheels. The ACD acts only on the center diff which is inside the trans.
I understand how it works just the naming didnt make sense here is the correct terminology
1. Center diff inside trans
2. Front Diff inside the tcase (ACD clutches are inside the tcase and controls the center diff inside the transmission)
3. Rear diff in the rearend

Last edited by 3gturbo; Aug 19, 2018 at 06:27 AM.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 03:56 PM
EvoM Guru

The front diff is not the ACD.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 04:38 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
My apologies guys, again. Got my wires crossed on the whole topic

Now, this center diff (item 57), located in the trans, is not part of our modification process? Correct? Or is there an aftemarket upgrade here as well. Too many diffs in this EvO, if you ask me

2006EvoIXer (Aug 18, 2018)
Old Aug 17, 2018, 05:21 PM
EvoM Guru

That diff is what is controlled by the ACD. So, by tuning the ACD you are directly effecting the operation of that diff.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 121 Likes on 105 Posts
One company made an aftermarket center diff that split torque 40F/60R for the Evo. However, they no longer make that product. IIRC, Quaife supplies a center differential. I would be interested in confirming that this indeed alters the torque output to 35F/65R.

My apologies guys, again. Got my wires crossed on the whole topic

Now, this center diff (item 57), located in the trans, is not part of our modification process? Correct? Or is there an aftemarket upgrade here as well. Too many diffs in this EvO, if you ask me

Old Aug 17, 2018, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Too many diffs in this EvO, if you ask me
Those little SUVs seen everywhere sporting AWD emblems have an electronic or occasionally hydraulic (high end models) clutch at the rear differential, a clutch in most cases pretty much a copy of the clutch on the A/C compressor, that engages when the computer detects wheel spin at the front. Then depending on the condition of the clutch and the speed of the system, it engages in milliseconds, after awhile or not at all. Nothing but a three differential system provides always there robust AWD.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 08:47 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 573 Likes on 431 Posts
The front diff is inside the tcase. The easiest way to confirm this is by looking at the front axle stubs. The longer one is the driver side and the short one is the passenger side. The driver side is longer because it must pass through the transmission before it can spline into the front diff inside the tcase. The passenger one is shorter because the tcase is already on the passenger side.

If you have ACD there is zero gain from moving to an aftermarket center diff (actually you may damage something). If you're non acd then there are advantages to moving to a different split center diff depending on the type of racing done and your driving style. You would never notice the effects of a different center diff on the street.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
Cusco 35/65 Diff was used by Robispec Evo TA car, and it did not suit track car. This diff was for VCU, doubt it applies to ACD.
Its Gymkhana setup, and even there it was abandoned by Cusco, who run standard center split now in Gymkhana official Cusco Evo X with ACD.