Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Faulty Grimmspeed boost solenoid ?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2018, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 83 Posts
Faulty Grimmspeed boost solenoid ?

The original owner had a grimmspeed 3port ECB installed and was working correctly. The car sat for almost a year as I was rebuilding the engine. Last month after the rebuild I had the car tuned but the tuner stated the 3port wasn't working as it was hitting 30PSI's when he had it set to 20psi. The tuner switched the car to a MBC and finished his tune. I

'm not happy with the tune and will have the car retuned with a 3port solenoid but I wanted to make sure the solenoid is working. I was able to activate the solenoid via evoscan and can hear it clicking. Is it possible to have a working but faulty 3 port? Is there another way of testing this unit?

I'm thinking since I already have the grimmspeed I was thinking about just buying the mac 3 port and soldering the GS connector to it.

Thanks!
Old Aug 12, 2018, 02:54 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
You don't "set" boost to 20psi in the tune. You put in wastegate duty cycle. Something doesn't add up with what the tune said. Solenoids either work or they don't..
Old Aug 12, 2018, 03:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
You don't "set" boost to 20psi in the tune.
Are you not forgetting the desired boost tables for ECU controlled boost in conjunction with the WGDC tables? My thinking is he had the PSI adder table messed up for a different elevation or didnt adjust it all, can make boost overshoot like that.

FIrst the Desired boost table can be set to 20 PSI
The Boost Adder table needs set to elevation, i.e. Sea Level would say 14.7, My altitude of approx 4500 FT will have 12.5, etc.
Then waste gate duty cycle is adjusted to hit the desired boost required.

Im leaning the tuner didnt adjust all tables needed to do PSI based tuning.

Just my 2 cents.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
You don't "set" boost to 20psi in the tune. You put in wastegate duty cycle. Something doesn't add up with what the tune said. Solenoids either work or they don't..
I don't know exactly what the process is to set boost levels but that was just me paraphrasing what the tuner said. I think I'm just going to order the mac and pull the pigtail from the GS. I was just wondering if there is another way to test the EBC.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 04:22 PM
Evolved Member

Post these tables up for us please, before you order parts...
Old Aug 12, 2018, 05:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
ive never had one go bad.
ive never heard of one going bad..

but maybe its possible.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 06:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Raceghost
Post these tables up for us please, before you order parts...

Originally Posted by hutch959
ive never had one go bad.
ive never heard of one going bad..

but maybe its possible.
Same here
Old Aug 12, 2018, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

Suggestively, so far, Its your tune. I can see it in the tables.

What they tell you is Boost desired to the ECU is 37 PSI
The Boost Adder table says your about 7000 FT below sea level, or at the bottom of the pacific ocean
The WGDC table says it is only at 20% which doesn't hold much boost.

Its your tune. 3 port most likely works fine.

Also if you could, that sub section that says "Global Boost Control Type", the first table under that says Variable for Boost control, is that set to Load, or PSI?

Attach your current Rom (.bin) file, and your Definition(.xml) File, and let us take a look at it. We will be able to tell you everything about your tune that way.

Also, I would suggest jumping over to the ECUFLASH tuning section, find MFREDS PSI/ECU Based Boost control and read up, for it will back what I am suggesting.

Last edited by Raceghost; Aug 12, 2018 at 07:19 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 09:14 PM
Evolved Member

Suggestively, so far, Its your tune. I can see it in the tables.

What they tell you is Boost desired to the ECU is 37 PSI
The Boost Adder table says your about 7000 FT below sea level, or at the bottom of the pacific ocean
The WGDC table says it is only at 20% which doesn't hold much boost.

Its your tune. 3 port most likely works fine.

Also if you could, that sub section that says "Global Boost Control Type", the first table under that says Variable for Boost control, is that set to Load, or PSI?

Attach your current Rom (.bin) file, and your Definition(.xml) File, and let us take a look at it. We will be able to tell you everything about your tune that way.

Also, I would suggest jumping over to the ECUFLASH tuning section, find MFREDS PSI/ECU Based Boost control and read up, for it will back what I am suggesting.
I see what you're talking about Race and was reading MRFREDS post about that. Also checked boost controller type which is set to PSI...Learning more about what's going on in this tune is getting me frustrated...Thank you and EVOM for all the help and information!

Tune attached!
Attached Files
File Type: zip
EVOM_HELP.zip (150.8 KB, 0 views)
Old Aug 12, 2018, 09:17 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
The WGDC table is all 20, because the tuner is an idiot and thinks that means 20psi, gene he told OP "I set the tune to 20psi".

The ECU probably isn't running any feedback on the boost control, so it's only running off of the WGDC table. Like I suspected...
Old Aug 13, 2018, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

I see what you're talking about Race and was reading MRFREDS post about that. Also checked boost controller type which is set to PSI...Learning more about what's going on in this tune is getting me frustrated...Thank you and EVOM for all the help and information!
Here is the good news. While your tuner seems to have dorked the Boost Control aspect of the tune, if it is properly tuned Timing and Fuel for 20 PSI, then really the only thing we need to do is readjust the boost tables for the ECU to properly control boost and away you go. You will need to remove the Manual Boost controller, rehook up the 3 port, and then we need to adjust those boost tables correctly. I have not looked at your rom, but will do that as soon as I have a moment. If someone else wishes to check it out too, make sure you look at Spark(Timing) tables, and Fuel Tables. If they look right, then what I am suggesting about boost should fix him up.

Edit: Ok, just looked at your ROM, your using the 9653 SD variant. I dont use that rom, I use the 9417. Either way, my previous comment stands on the Boost table adjustments.
I need this info, and I will send you an updated ROM/Map file to try, or atleast get you started.
Map Sensor you are using? Your rom says it is scaled for an Omni 4 Bar
Elevation you are at?
Reinstall the Grimmspeed 3 Port.
Your fuel tables and Spark tables look correct.
Get me these things, and I will get you a base map with minor adjustments to reflect correct ECU/PSI based boost.

Last edited by Raceghost; Aug 13, 2018 at 09:36 AM.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

The ECU probably isn't running any feedback on the boost control, so it's only running off of the WGDC table. Like I suspected...
I agree with you bud. However, the ECU is also demanding or trying to hit 37 PSI, but I am going to go ahead and assume, that those tables are not scaled correctly for his MAP Sensor.

Blackline, Give me a heads up on what MAP Sensor your running, is it an Omni 3, 4, 5 Bar, or a JDM 3 Bar, or what. We will need to know that as well, to get you going correctly.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
The WGDC table is all 20, because the tuner is an idiot and thinks that means 20psi, gene he told OP "I set the tune to 20psi".

I'm actually surprised the tuner didn't know how to get the EBC to work correctly since he's the "GO TO" tuner in NYC...smh

Here is the good news. While your tuner seems to have dorked the Boost Control aspect of the tune, if it is properly tuned Timing and Fuel for 20 PSI, then really the only thing we need to do is readjust the boost tables for the ECU to properly control boost and away you go. You will need to remove the Manual Boost controller, rehook up the 3 port, and then we need to adjust those boost tables correctly. I have not looked at your rom, but will do that as soon as I have a moment. If someone else wishes to check it out too, make sure you look at Spark(Timing) tables, and Fuel Tables. If they look right, then what I am suggesting about boost should fix him up.

Edit: Ok, just looked at your ROM, your using the 9653 SD variant. I dont use that rom, I use the 9417. Either way, my previous comment stands on the Boost table adjustments.
I need this info, and I will send you an updated ROM/Map file to try, or atleast get you started.
Map Sensor you are using? Your rom says it is scaled for an Omni 4 Bar
Elevation you are at?
Reinstall the Grimmspeed 3 Port.
Your fuel tables and Spark tables look correct.
Get me these things, and I will get you a base map with minor adjustments to reflect correct ECU/PSI based boost.
Race, you are the ****ing man!!!!!!!!!

I'm running the omni 4 bar map.
Elevation level for my location is 36 feet(11 m) but the highest elevation in my borough is 258.2 feet (78.7 m)
Old Aug 13, 2018, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

Your Tables, prior to any changes, but with correct scalings, from your REV 2 ROM:

Your Tables with my adjustments, and correct scalings Rev 3, listed after notations:
Note: Your .xml file is fine, however, on the Desired Boost Table, you will need to change the scaling from what it is, over to "PSIa8 OMNI 4BarMap" for it to show 21.5 PSIa Target Boost. Your tune will support it fine, and with the error checking I changed, and WGDC table, it will be just fine, and run 19-21 PSI to redline which is how your tuner tuned it all things being equal.
Note: FOr correct WGDC adjustment, give me a heads up on your Turbo, and I can offer direction of adjustments. I might already have tables for your set up to. These WGDC tables are a base assuming a 9 turbo with slight modifications or there abouts. FIne tuning will be needed based on Turbo.

Note: Make sure you get your 3 port hooked up correctly. Grimmspeed has a diagram on their website for correct hose connections, also make sure all hoses to the 3 port are free of restrictions and "pills" that add restriction to increase boost. They should be straight vacuum hoses. Also, use small zip ties to secure both 3 port hose connections as well as Turbo and WG connections, eliminate boost leaks from the start.
Note: Ease into this map, meaning, don't just hammer down to redline. Test it with reserve, watch for knock, and log it. Let me know if you run into any issues. This is just to get you started. You may end up adjusting the WGDC up or down depending on logs in respect to boost. All other tables I adjusted should be fine.

New MAP (.bin) attached.
Attached Files

Last edited by Raceghost; Aug 13, 2018 at 01:28 PM.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

Your Tables, prior to any changes, but with correct scalings, from your REV 2 ROM:

Your Tables with my adjustments, and correct scalings Rev 3, listed after notations:
Note: Your .xml file is fine, however, on the Desired Boost Table, you will need to change the scaling from what it is, over to "PSIa8 OMNI 4BarMap" for it to show 21.5 PSIa Target Boost. Your tune will support it fine, and with the error checking I changed, and WGDC table, it will be just fine, and run 19-21 PSI to redline which is how your tuner tuned it all things being equal.
Note: FOr correct WGDC adjustment, give me a heads up on your Turbo, and I can offer direction of adjustments. I might already have tables for your set up to. These WGDC tables are a base assuming a 9 turbo with slight modifications or there abouts. FIne tuning will be needed based on Turbo.

Note: Make sure you get your 3 port hooked up correctly. Grimmspeed has a diagram on their website for correct hose connections, also make sure all hoses to the 3 port are free of restrictions and "pills" that add restriction to increase boost. They should be straight vacuum hoses. Also, use small zip ties to secure both 3 port hose connections as well as Turbo and WG connections, eliminate boost leaks from the start.
Note: Ease into this map, meaning, don't just hammer down to redline. Test it with reserve, watch for knock, and log it. Let me know if you run into any issues. This is just to get you started. You may end up adjusting the WGDC up or down depending on logs in respect to boost. All other tables I adjusted should be fine.

New MAP (.bin) attached.

Thanks Race!!

I'll hook up he EBC and load this map over the weekend(hopefully sooner) and report back. The car has a BBK Full with 1000CC injectors if that helps also.

thank you again