Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Turbo does not inflate

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2018, 01:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo does not inflate

Hello everyone. We have rally Evo 8 car with Evo 9 turbo (TD05HR-16G6C-10.5T). Boost aim is 1.78 bar, but max boost which turbo can inflate is 1.5 bar and fall on eyes. After two days training, max boost is 1.2 bar with disconnected actuator (preload is 4mm).. We're disassembled the turbo and seen unwelcome picture - twinscroll septum have crack and bented by waves (see attached photo).
It can be reason why turbo have max boost is 1.2 bar with disconnected actuator?
Car is have anti-lag system. How long turbo lives with hard ALS?
And also, the part of turbo which connect tailpipe with hot-part of turbo is have very bad surface (bump) - can it be reason with max boost? Because it part situated after impeller, but maybe also influences for boost.
Spoiler

Old Aug 13, 2018, 08:52 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
All of your issues are due to that turbine housing.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
Wow! How is your turbine? Is it bent too? I bet it's bent out of shape and way off balance. That's impressive how ALS bends this volute. My guess is your ALS is running too lean. How is everything else working (O2 sensor, exhaust valves & exhaust ports, and exhaust manifold runners)? I wonder if your ALS was opening your exhaust valves.