Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo8 oil pump cover plug came off

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2018, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo8 oil pump cover plug came off

Hey guys, new to EvoM... I was racing my evo 8 at the track and noticed engine oil by the timing belt. Checked oil level and was bearly marking on dip stick.
i did win the race lol
Moved car to the side and was not able to pin point oil leak. Towed car home and checked the following day. Noticed one of the balance shaft dummy plugs was missing which is the cause of the oil leak. Has anyone ever ran into this?

520whp on E85
Old Oct 13, 2018, 08:31 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Good call on towing home! Are you talking about the metal, threaded cap on the oil pump? Those are threaded in. Check the threads and look for metal shavings. If metal gets in there, you oil pump could die and kill the whole engine (don't ask me how I know). If everything is okay, you should be able to thread another on and be okay, since the oil level didn't drop too much.
Hopefully, you can figure out WHY it came out.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 07:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re

Not the screw on one with oring. This one is on the far left side of oil pump front case. It’s a rubber freeze plug that came off. RRE had the seal In stock and asked why that could happen and turns out i need a breather filter type catch can to releave some of the build up pressure.

The oil oil level was 1/4 and the oil was gushing out with the car off. Good thing I didn’t run it again

thanks for your input
Old Oct 15, 2018, 10:10 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
The only reason that would come out is excessive (and A LOT excessive) crankcase pressure, or it was improperly installed.