Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Turbo/Build Guidance

Old Nov 5, 2018, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo/Build Guidance

Hey guys,

Backstory: Started a build on my Evo 8, built the motor myself with the exception of the head and then I left the country for 30 months and did my best to preserve all parts and the car during long-term storage. I'm back and felt lost as I had taken a huge hiatus from the build and how everything went back together. Got myself a service manual and re-familiarized myself with componentry locations, etc. Fast forward a few months and I'm getting ready to wrap up the build but have been out of the evo game for 3+ years so looking for some recommendations and guidance. Power delivery, usability, I'd like to turn this car back into a daily with light track use. I had the initial intention of building for big power but goals changed. I'll try and make this short as possible; thank you for your help.

Built bottom end 9:1 // Curt Brown Race Head // S2 Cams
ETS 4'' Short route // 1200cc DW's // Walbro 450 // E85
Shep Ultimate Ratio 5 speed // Comp Clutch stage 3
+ tons of supporting mods

I have an old school JB FP green and a BB FP black to chose from ( Leaning towards the green) , I feel like my goal is 500whp but not convinced I can do it with injector /the greens hot-side limitations. How much differently will both turbos spool? Will this setup achieve stock-like Evo response? Open to the possibility of newer turbo options if suggested. The car has been sitting for such a long time and I cannot even remember what It feels like to drive it; I'd really like to get behind the wheel again and regain the same level of joy it once gave me.

Additionally, Do you guys have any thoughts specific to my setup in regards to MAF vs SD? Thanks

Last edited by NA2FI; Nov 5, 2018 at 01:17 PM.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 07:30 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
What displacement/stroke is it?

My vote goes to sending that old school green to FP for an upgrade to a 73htz green, or a red. You could sell the black you have and probably about pay for it.

If its a 2.3L, the black will be an "ok" choice. But to me, they don't make enough extra power over a red to make up for the extra lag.

Last edited by letsgetthisdone; Nov 7, 2018 at 08:14 AM.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 07:57 AM

Can you count the .5mm bore+hone as added displacement? Haha. Stock stroke and displacement. Re-used to factory crank, 2.0.

That's some solid advice, never considered sending of the Green to be upgraded. I'm actually only less than a hour from FP so I could even take it to them. I appreciate the advice!
Old Nov 8, 2018, 09:32 AM
EvoM Guru

I wouldn't certainly not even consider the black for the 2.0, and the OG green may not make your power goal.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
Unless you have access to E85, the Green will struggle to make 500 whp on 93 pump gas. Green spool will be decent at around 4000 rpm. On pump gas, you'll likely need a Red to hit 500whp. Reds should spool around 4200 rpm. Blacks are lazy on 2.0 and will need at least 4400 rpm to wake up.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
Please keep us posted on how much it costs to upgrade.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 01:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Really depends on your power goals and more importantly where you like the power to be. If you like a very fast spool as earlier said, go with the FP Red. I do not know the limitations of Green, but I feel that the Red will also give you more headroom. If however you are also road and drag racing and you will rev your 2.0 to 9+, probably the Red will fall of its face before that, so you might want to consider the FP Black.

I would suggest to give the guys in FP a call so you can discuss what you like with your build and give you a suggestion of their series
Old Nov 9, 2018, 12:35 PM
EvoM Guru

The black will also fall on its face around 8k rpm. The restriction is the hot side, not the compressor.

His original post also clearly states his power goal and what fuel he'll be running..

OP, I just noticed the black is a ball bearing unit. I would have that switched over to a red (all it needs is a compressor and compressor cover), and then sell your green to someone else. That, to me, is the best route you can take. And I'm willing to bet you could come out close to even.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 10:31 PM

Gents,
Sorry for the delay! Went with the green for now. Spoke with FP about different options and might consider a newer turbo down the road. Here is what the car made for now. Didn't reach my power goals, but maybe I'll drive it for a bit a see how it feels.

Search this Thread