Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Mystery Noise From Engine?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2018, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Mystery Noise From Engine?

There's a noise coming form the engine bay that I can't quite figure out and hoping for some guidance. I'm thinking it might be a belt that needs to be replaced but I can't be too sure. It'll be greatly appreciated if one much more knowledgeable than me can help me figure this out. Link to the video below. Thank you in advance.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pv467mpcr8...51542.mp4?dl=0

Mods - if this is not the correct area for these types of questions please let me know.

Old Nov 28, 2018, 07:09 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Nice quality Vid BTW

Sounds rotational from the belt area. Maybe accessory belt tensioner (how many miles on the tensioner?)

A simple Harbor Freight stethoscope may help pin that down?
Old Nov 28, 2018, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
My guess is a bearing needs more grease. When was last timing belt change?
Old Nov 29, 2018, 09:25 AM
Evolving Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Possibly the power steering pump. Check the fluid level. You can use a long screwdriver and put one end on the pump other to your ear and listen for the noise. Also you can remove the drive belt and if the noise is gone you know it’s not anything with the timing components.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Well, it doesn't sound expensive.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Nice quality Vid BTW

Sounds rotational from the belt area. Maybe accessory belt tensioner (how many miles on the tensioner?)

A simple Harbor Freight stethoscope may help pin that down?
Galaxy s9+ ftw. I think you might be right. Could be a bad bearing on the tensioner or perhaps a misalignment. The tensioner is definitely over 50k. Might need to replace the tensioner and belt.

Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer
My guess is a bearing needs more grease. When was last timing belt change?
The belt definitely has over 50k on it so it might be time for a change.

Originally Posted by wht95scort
Possibly the power steering pump. Check the fluid level. You can use a long screwdriver and put one end on the pump other to your ear and listen for the noise. Also you can remove the drive belt and if the noise is gone you know it’s not anything with the timing components.
Thanks for the tip, I'll check this out.

Originally Posted by barneyb
Well, it doesn't sound expensive.
Gladly, I think so too which is a relief.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 12:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts
Evo 9 right? If so it sounds like the typical belt whine most 9s get. There is a revised block bracket on the belt side that fixes this. There is a thread stickied here about this. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...elt-video.html
The following users liked this post:
egg_baLLa (Nov 30, 2018)
Old Nov 29, 2018, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Evo9isLife
Evo 9 right? If so it sounds like the typical belt whine most 9s get. There is a revised block bracket on the belt side that fixes this. There is a thread stickied here about this. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...elt-video.html
That's right, Evo 9. Thank you sir! This sounds exactly like my issue. Didn't realize this was a common issue on the 9's. Took a while but I found the post with the part numbers. Posting here for future reference. Post #586:

====================================
Ok....here is the deal. Just picked up the car. The dealer tech said that ALL Evo 9's have an issue with the timing belt rubbing against the crankshaft position blade wheel. Here are the new parts they installed on mine to remedy the issue:
Part Number MR984375 Adjuster, Timing Belt Tension Qty 1
Part Number MD369999 Pulley, Timing Belt Tension Qty 1
Part Number 1091A133 Bracket Cylinder Block Qty 1 *****Updated New Part from Mitsu that supposedly fixes the noise problem. Original bracket was machined incorrectly by supplier to Mitsu*****
Part Number 1145A038 Belt, Valve Timing Qty 1
Part Number MR984778 Belt, Balancer Timing Qty 1
Mitsubishi Techline Case #140114
Service Description: Removed and replaced Timing Belt Adjuster, Tensioner Pulley, and Bracket as per Techline. Replaced Timing Belt and Balance Belt while Tensioner Bracket was replaced under warranty.

They also replaced the crankshaft sensor blade on the car but left it off the reprinted repair bill they gave me. Oh well. Total cost for me was $159.76 for the Tming Belt and the Balance Belt that I had them put in new as opposed to the old ones.

You can have the tech at your dealer call the techline and look at my techline case number to see all the part numbers for your repair if needed.

I'll let you guys know if I hear the noise anymore over the coming weeks!
====================================

Post #597:

Quote:
Originally Posted by R/TErnie
So the engine mount with the three studs on it actually is causing the problem? Can you describe what causes the noise and how its fixed?

Thank you
According to the dealer, the engine mount that attaches to the blosk between the two timing belt covers was machined wrong by the supplier to Mitsu. The bracket pushes against the timing belt cover causing it to rub on the timing belt. The new bracket doesn't push against the cover and displace it and thus no rub. Don't know if that is really the case but that is what they told me. I started it again today and it was all nice and quiet.

Last edited by egg_baLLa; Nov 29, 2018 at 01:28 PM.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 05:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts
Glad I could help. I have to swap mine as well, I have the part just haven't got around to doing it yet. STM has the revised part btw and they still have their black friday sale going.
Old May 23, 2019, 06:24 AM

Just updating this thread to finalize it.

I just replaced the bracket at the same time as my timing belt change and it seemed to have done the trick. No more noise during a cold start.