Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo 8 intake question

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2018, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
OP Have you check the compression and done a leak down test? MAP did have a lot of issues with that series of turbo, but I would think it should still make more power than that. Either way, check the engines health and go from there. That HP is low. That would be low on a stock turbo.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
A dyno graph can give us ideas of where to look. Do you have your dyno charts?
Old Dec 22, 2018, 09:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 294 Likes on 235 Posts
Originally Posted by Sliverbullet8
I would but I need to ask my tuner first if he minds, out of respect for his work. Some guys get touchy about posting their stuff.
I get it. No worries. Can you at least say what timing is at redline?

Originally Posted by Wicked_X
Only 23 huh? What turbo is it? I'm just started tuning after putting on the HTA71 and I have it boosting 26 psi on 91. Only like 10* at 7k tho, and 3-4* and peak torque. Knock free right now, gonna richen it up a little and add another degree and see what happens
My timing is nearly identical to yours. On a stock turbo still. The higher up it spools, the more base timing you should be able to run. But still, I would have to go into negative timing (again at peak tq) to go with/or over 26 psi. I'll take timing over boost.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is a dyno sheet (if it actually attaches) from I believe the second time on the dyno, it was running stupid lean so we only did 2 pulls I have since put bigger injectors and no longer runs lean I dont have any of the other ones on my phone so I cant put them up at the moment. I'll have to look at my laptop when I get home to see what the timing is set at.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
IANWASHBURN103017.pdf (270.2 KB, 0 views)
Old Dec 22, 2018, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Teal2nnr
OP Have you check the compression and done a leak down test? MAP did have a lot of issues with that series of turbo, but I would think it should still make more power than that. Either way, check the engines health and go from there. That HP is low. That would be low on a stock turbo.

I did a compression test before I started modifying it right after I bought it to make sure it was good:

#1 160
#2 165
#3 162
#4 155

this was with an analog harbor freight compression tester engine warm and throttle open. I haven't checked since then
Old Dec 23, 2018, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Lumpy Sticks
I get it. No worries. Can you at least say what timing is at redline?

My timing is nearly identical to yours. On a stock turbo still. The higher up it spools, the more base timing you should be able to run. But still, I would have to go into negative timing (again at peak tq) to go with/or over 26 psi. I'll take timing over boost.

looking at my "High octane ignition map 1" on ECU flash my timing at 7k from load 260-280 is *8