Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo 8 intake question

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2018, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo 8 intake question

Hey guys I've tried searching for it and only come up with results for the evo x. I bought my evo a couple years ago and it was completely stock except for a Cobb intake I was wondering how that intake compares to other aftermarket ones or stock. I've since done a bit to it to make it faster including TBE, cat removed, Fic 1220 injectors, fuel pump, tial QR bov, ets lower intercooler pipe, new throttle body seals, bushwaker stage 1 trans and exedy twin clutch and a MAP EF3 turbo and a Tune by a Reputable tuner. I feel like the intake might be holding back the Performance of the car as with all these mods running 26psi on 91 it only made 305hp on the dynojet dyno. Which both me and the tuner though was pretty low. I know there was an intake test that was done awhile ago that tested a few different intakes but I've never seen or heard of anyone running a cobb intake on an evo 8.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 02:11 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Confused!

I show Cobb doesnt even offer an intake for the 4G63?

Are you sure its a Cobb?
Old Dec 17, 2018, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Confused!

I show Cobb doesnt even offer an intake for the 4G63?

Are you sure its a Cobb?
yeah its definatly cobb here is a link for the only place I've seen it sold

https://www.importimageracing.com/pr...MaAsHaEALw_wcB
Old Dec 17, 2018, 02:40 PM

Here is the stuff on my car
Old Dec 17, 2018, 02:43 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Ok, just wanted to make sure. Looks like its been discontinued

Dont think the Cobb is holding your no.s back

Do you have access to someone who can do a log and then compare those DJ no.s to Virtual Dyno?

If the no.s are similar, maybe a set of cams/springs would get your WHP up?

Unless theres an underlying issue (compression / leak down might be considered)
Old Dec 17, 2018, 03:36 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
It's probably the turbo. Put a stock turbo back on it and it'll make more power lol
Old Dec 17, 2018, 04:17 PM

Ok, just wanted to make sure. Looks like its been discontinued

Dont think the Cobb is holding your no.s back

Do you have access to someone who can do a log and then compare those DJ no.s to Virtual Dyno?

If the no.s are similar, maybe a set of cams/springs would get your WHP up?

Unless theres an underlying issue (compression / leak down might be considered)

I've done countless logs sending them to the tuner for touch ups. He first tuned it on the dyno in person and only made 285whp due to the BOV leaking and not holding boost. After changing the BOV I sent him some logs via email as he is not local so he could fine tune it now that it holds boost ran great. About a month went by and alot of knock counts started happening, changed spark plugs, wires with new OEM and br8es gapped at 22 as suggested by the tuner. Was better but still had some knock counts in 4th gear acceleration. Was under the car noticed that the Downpipe was contacting the transfer case, "adjusted" the downpipe, knock counts almost completely stopped. At the instruction of the tuner turned the boost up to 28psi started running lean he made some adjustments to it and got better but still would occasionally run lean. Decided to take it back to the local dyno that it was on before just to do some pulls and logs for the tuner. Made 305whp at 26psi, turned up to 28 made same numbers but was stupid lean and both me and the guy running the dyno decided it was best not to do another pull and I cranked the boost way down to 22psi to safely drive it home. Put some 1220s in it and rescaled and adjusted latency and it drives great holds boost and dosent run lean under boost went back to the dyno and made 306whp at 26psi again. So I'm at a loss, now the car is in storage for the winter and I'm trying to think of what could be holding it back. I know cams are in my future and probably e85 too

Last edited by Sliverbullet8; Dec 17, 2018 at 07:40 PM.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
lots of knock so tuner suggested plugs??/

i would try another tuner.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 04:50 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Thanks for the detailed notes. Hey, im no tuner & just trying to throw out some ideas.

Wasnt familiar w/that MAP turbo & was looking for the flow rate no.s. Couldnt find them but it seems like its a FP Green style

Maybe some of the other guys will chime-in
Old Dec 17, 2018, 06:22 PM

Thanks for the detailed notes. Hey, im no tuner & just trying to throw out some ideas.

Wasnt familiar w/that MAP turbo & was looking for the flow rate no.s. Couldnt find them but it seems like its a FP Green style

Maybe some of the other guys will chime-in
from what I've read it is about the size of a FP Red alittle smaller though. I appreciate the help man, just trying to figure out what I should change next while it's down for the winter.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by hutch959
lots of knock so tuner suggested plugs??/

i would try another tuner.
He recommended checking a few other things as well that I didn't mention. I was just listing the parts I've changed that I can remember off hand. I cant say the tuner is the issue as they are very well respected in the evo community, I'm leaning more towards an issue with the car. But I'm going to try a local guy that has a really good reputation with evos in the spring so that it should be easier to iron out issues.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 09:35 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
I wasn't really joking when I said it's probably the turbo. The MAP turbos are garbage.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 04:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 294 Likes on 235 Posts
Your running 28 psi on 91 octane!? I cant get much over 23 psi before mine starts knocking. Can you post a picture of your timing map?
Old Dec 21, 2018, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Lumpy Sticks
Your running 28 psi on 91 octane!? I cant get much over 23 psi before mine starts knocking. Can you post a picture of your timing map?
I would but I need to ask my tuner first if he minds, out of respect for his work. Some guys get touchy about posting their stuff.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 01:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Lumpy Sticks
Only 23 huh? What turbo is it? I'm just started tuning after putting on the HTA71 and I have it boosting 26 psi on 91. Only like 10* at 7k tho, and 3-4* and peak torque. Knock free right now, gonna richen it up a little and add another degree and see what happens