Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Engine rebuild opinions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2019, 08:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine rebuild opinions

So I made a drastically stupid mistake (as I'm known to do regardless of experience sometimes) which resulted in me snapping off 7 of 8 intake valves off of my 2003 4g63. The pistons are shot and the head is fixable soooooo, its forced upgrade time. I'm going to replace the pistons and rods With stock sized, but upgraded items and repair the head. Having said that could I get some opinions please on whether or not this is a descent deal or not that ive found online.

Its a piston rod combo that ive selected (in the drop down boxes) with Manley H bean rods and and Wiseco pistons.
TIA for any input.

Old Mar 30, 2019, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
Are you not planning to check the cylinder shapes to verify that 85.0mm pistons are the right size? It is possible the front to back is worn enough to go 85.25 (or 85.5 if really worn). Most shops just jump to 85.5mm because they want to start with perfectly round bores.

At minimum, get upgraded wrist pins with your pistons. That's a critical part that many overlook. And I will always upgrade to the best rod bolts (625+) for insurance because when these fail, they destroy the block.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 08:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They do have options for larger sized bores. I only took one measurement of one of the cylinders last night just to get a quick look. I'll make sure to go back and take multiple measurments on each cylinder to verify shape. I'll look into the wrist pins and bolts as well. Thank you much.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

Check diameter at 60% of the way down on each cylinder.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bite the bullet and get I beams or wiseco boostline rods... then if you want to push more power you wont have to worry about the bottom end. Do the balance shaft delete as well if you have not already.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 09:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Dula
Bite the bullet and get I beams or wiseco boostline rods... then if you want to push more power you wont have to worry about the bottom end. Do the balance shaft delete as well if you have not already.
whats the advantage of deleting the balance shaft?
Old Apr 3, 2019, 12:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Jonno99
whats the advantage of deleting the balance shaft?
https://jackstransmissions.com/blogs...balance-shafts

FWIW
The following users liked this post:
Dula (Apr 5, 2019)
Old Apr 3, 2019, 07:11 AM
Evolved Member

There is a lot of discussion on this in many threads. I wonder if I should start a new one to discuss the physics of this and get all the thoughts together.
The following users liked this post:
Dula (Apr 5, 2019)
Old Apr 3, 2019, 07:25 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 143 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer
There is a lot of discussion on this in many threads. I wonder if I should start a new one to discuss the physics of this and get all the thoughts together.
Yes, please. We could use a balance shaft thread that collects all of the current thinking into a great opening post.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer
Don,
Can you fit that in your schedule? But seriously it would be nice
Old Apr 3, 2019, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 294 Likes on 235 Posts
I will add another vote for a balance shaft thread! I would have a thing or two to say about them from personal experiences.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 10:22 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Balance shafts should be deleted, end of story. They were installed for comfort, plain and simple.

OP for a simple build, I much prefer Eagle Hbeams and I always use WisecoHD pistons. No reason to spend extra money on better rods if you're on a budget unless you plan on a big turbo setup and making over 575wtq.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 11:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Balance shafts should be deleted, end of story. They were installed for comfort, plain and simple.
I disagree, but that's all the more reason to start a thread to collect our thoughts an ideas. But even with that said...

Some of us actually care about comfort. Making a blanket statement of removing something like the balance shaft no matter what, just won't fit everyone's desires. For some builds it's worth removing, for some it's worth keeping.

@2006EvoIXer , I'd love to see a current discussion thread, I've read through a few in the past, but people's experiences where very limited. I'm a firm believer that the balance shaft does more good than harm, even if it's way more work to keep in your build than just deleting it.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

Oh wow, guess I'll have some homework tonight!
I'll need to run some calculations again.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 01:43 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
You don't ever hear about engines that have died because of properly deleted balance shafts. On the other hand plenty have from balance shaft related failure. So I would think it wouldn't be controversial to say that removing the balance shafts improves reliability. That being said if you are going to dump a bunch of money into a build, increasing reliability at the expense of comfort isn't unreasonable. It doesn't hurt that you are freeing up some ponies too.