Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Opinions/experience on twin disc clutch vs carbon single

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2019, 12:19 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 143 Likes on 119 Posts
Data points and experience reports for carbon clutches are hard to find online. If you search EvoM, there's an old post from someone who had real world experience with 3 or 4 different carbon clutches.

Originally Posted by deeman101
*Side note: ATS makes a full carbon single plate clutch (i.e. carbon/carbon and carbon hub) which is rated to 800hp and they have no problems with you drag launching it. This is because it has no metal in it to warp and fail under heat. They don't make a full carbon single for evos though, and it's also $5k...
http://www.ppi-ats.com/Full%20carbon...0Clutches.html for those who are curious. Full carbon/carbon clutches sound great on paper, but the few online reports I've found range from glowing reviews to early failure horror stories. Supposedly a gentle break-in is key to fully prepare the carbon friction surfaces.

If I could really count on the Tilton (or ATS) carbon/carbon clutch to be the last clutch I ever have to buy, I might be able to stomach the $5K price tag. From what I've heard, though, longevity is very hit or miss. Personally I'd still prefer to go through a couple known quantity clutches like the Exedy twin than to gamble on the carbon options.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 12:41 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
https://www.nengun.com/ats/carbon-clutch-twin-plate

Can get the ATS twin for ~$1900. Not sure where you're seeing $5k.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
https://www.nengun.com/ats/carbon-clutch-twin-plate

Can get the ATS twin for ~$1900. Not sure where you're seeing $5k.
Construct actually gave it in his link: http://www.ppi-ats.com/Full%20carbon...0Clutches.html ranges from $5k single to $10k triple. ATS has their standard metal clutches, carbon clutches (the link you gave) and "full carbon" clutches. The full carbons have carbon hubs and carbon/carbon mating surfaces. The regular carbon is carbon/metal mating surface and metal hub.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Construct
Data points and experience reports for carbon clutches are hard to find online. If you search EvoM, there's an old post from someone who had real world experience with 3 or 4 different carbon clutches.

http://www.ppi-ats.com/Full%20carbon...0Clutches.html for those who are curious. Full carbon/carbon clutches sound great on paper, but the few online reports I've found range from glowing reviews to early failure horror stories. Supposedly a gentle break-in is key to fully prepare the carbon friction surfaces.

If I could really count on the Tilton (or ATS) carbon/carbon clutch to be the last clutch I ever have to buy, I might be able to stomach the $5K price tag. From what I've heard, though, longevity is very hit or miss. Personally I'd still prefer to go through a couple known quantity clutches like the Exedy twin than to gamble on the carbon options.
Yea I wouldn't do it at $5k. I got my problade clutch to 14k miles with 3 drag launches (the last one welded the flywheel/pp to it) with lots of heavy inner-city driving and about 1500 road course miles. IIRC the disc measured 4.8mm wheareas brand new it was 5mm. It would've had tons of durability left if I didn't try to tempt fate with the launches. Nowadays I would be seeing 20k miles every 2 years or so at best. A twin is definitely feasible with that kind of mileage.

On a side note, I've put 20k miles on my comp stage 2 kevlar/organic disc since then. I would best describe that clutch as "okay" in every category. I should measure the disc and see how much as worn away with those miles.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lv05evo
Curious to know what company carbon clutch you will go with? I don't think I will use that for myself but I don't mind to research.

Thanks,
I'm thinking ATS just because of my previous positive experience. But we'll see what the availability is for clutches. I actually misquoted how much power it can hold. Its 376wtq, an upgrade from the carbonetics problade at 300wtq. So it adds to my confidence in trying it out.

Edit: Just found ATS USA had one in stock and bought it. It's the single plate carbon/metal prospec II clutch with the 2200kg pp. CM23H132-22 is the code. I'll probably get it next week but don't expect a review anytime soon. My crank is still on back order and I have a lot of things to do to get my car back together.

Last edited by deeman101; Apr 16, 2019 at 03:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
alpinaturbo (Apr 30, 2019)
Old Apr 16, 2019, 05:07 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 143 Likes on 119 Posts
Construct actually gave it in his link: http://www.ppi-ats.com/Full%20carbon...0Clutches.html ranges from $5k single to $10k triple. ATS has their standard metal clutches, carbon clutches (the link you gave) and "full carbon" clutches. The full carbons have carbon hubs and carbon/carbon mating surfaces. The regular carbon is carbon/metal mating surface and metal hub.
"Full carbon" is the key phrase. Anything with carbon-on-metal friction is prone to warping the metal parts. Once the metal parts are warped, clutch wear increases dramatically causing early failure.

The ATS full carbon single clutch actually has 3 separate carbon discs in it. The double has 6 carbon discs, and 9 on the triple.

ATS claims 300-500 drag launches on the full carbon clutch before it needs maintenance. If all goes well, you can just insert some shims into the clutch to compensate for the lost thickness and you're good to go. In theory, anyway.

Yea I wouldn't do it at $5k. I got my problade clutch to 14k miles with 3 drag launches (the last one welded the flywheel/pp to it) with lots of heavy inner-city driving and about 1500 road course miles. IIRC the disc measured 4.8mm wheareas brand new it was 5mm. It would've had tons of durability left if I didn't try to tempt fate with the launches. Nowadays I would be seeing 20k miles every 2 years or so at best. A twin is definitely feasible with that kind of mileage.
Welding the flywheel is an impressive demise. Are you just going to avoid launching altogether on the new clutch?
Old Apr 16, 2019, 06:01 PM
Evolved Member

Yea....I've made my share of mistakes. It took a lot of effort to pry it off the flywheel. Here is what the flywheel looked like for your amusement. The pressure plate surface looked about the same. This was back in 2011 and I've never launched again.

Old Apr 28, 2019, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

Quick update. I got the newer 2200kg spec 2 carbon clutch from ATS. Its as close to the spiritual successor to the carbonetics problade as possible. But the weights show you why this thing shifts so awesome.

Compared to the problade, which was a bit heavier. This is my lunched problade clutch so a bit lighter than brand new from materials loss, and this is the sprung hub vs the newer ones are unsprung.

And a used Exedy twin with HD pressure plate for comparison to everyone's standard.

Last edited by deeman101; Jun 16, 2019 at 02:51 PM.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 08:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
How much did it end up costing and did you buy directly from them? Curious on how it drives vs problade and exedy twin. Keep us updated
Old Apr 29, 2019, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Lazyfong
How much did it end up costing and did you buy directly from them? Curious on how it drives vs problade and exedy twin. Keep us updated
Was just about $1000 shipped from ATS USA in Cali. I think the last one in stock though. It is on backorder from Japan. I'll update when I get my car back together. Currently its in about 2000 pieces.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
I really like the idea of dropping the clutch assembly total weight down.
However, I was watching your experience with ATS - and issue after some lunches, and it was not encouraging.

So I went Exedy Twin.

I hope that new one has a bit higher "capacity" for all uses: I don't lunch, but am concerned with torque, 2.3+8374 w/E85.
The rating of 375lb-ft is not that much for an Evo, just right for 2.0 on E85.