Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Clutch engagement point changed

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2019, 04:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pal215
Correct, You want to screw it into clutch pedal more to lower the engagement point. Also you don't have to bend the switch mount that much Just enough to make room for a 12mm wrench. After you adjust it, go for a test drive to see what it did to your clutch engagement and it will click really fast for you. From there you can make adjustments to how you like it. Make sure when you bend the switch mount back to place that the little white button on the switch comes in contact with the rubber bumper on the back side of the clutch pedal.

After this, we will know for sure if your clutch is worn out or if it was the engagement point. Remember that air in the clutch line will NEVER cause your clutch to slip. It will only cause it to not disengage completely or have erratic clutch engagement positions
holy crap you are a god! I literally do not grind any gears, no more grinding 1st or notchy 2nd and 3rd, holy crap, turned it 2 full turns inwards, car still feels like it has the brake on, and I’m not getting any weird smells at all hmmm I also checked to see if my clutch slips, I did the old 4th gear wot from 1400rpms, no slip . Just still wondering why my car feels like it has brake on. So weird!! Ahhhhh, I can’t thank you enough man!!!
Old Apr 17, 2019, 05:23 PM

Nvm I’m crazy, the feeling of the handbrake is gone woooooo!!!! Thank you again pal!
Old Apr 17, 2019, 06:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
With how often I make clutch pedal adjustments I never bend anything. I'm in there all the time, you just need to get comfortable in there and make yourself at home, you'll be back soon

After this, we will know for sure if your clutch is worn out or if it was the engagement point. Remember that air in the clutch line will NEVER cause your clutch to slip. It will only cause it to not disengage completely or have erratic clutch engagement positions
great advice, time for a bleed
The following 2 users liked this post by Name User:
JDM-Muscle99 (Apr 2, 2021), RussianEVO (Apr 18, 2019)
Old Apr 17, 2019, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Name User
With how often I make clutch pedal adjustments I never bend anything. I'm in there all the time, you just need to get comfortable in there and make yourself at home, you'll be back soon

great advice, time for a bleed
i think mine too, doesn’t our master cylinder receive fluid from the brake master cylinder?
Old Apr 18, 2019, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 294 Likes on 235 Posts
Originally Posted by RussianEVO
i think mine too, doesn’t our master cylinder receive fluid from the brake master cylinder?
Nope, the clutch has its own little reservoir.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Lumpy Sticks
Nope, the clutch has its own little reservoir.
really? Wtf then I’m completely out of clutch fluid, my small little baby tank is bone dry 0_0... will take a pic this evening
Old Apr 18, 2019, 10:01 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
holy crap you are a god! I literally do not grind any gears, no more grinding 1st or notchy 2nd and 3rd, holy crap, turned it 2 full turns inwards, car still feels like it has the brake on, and I’m not getting any weird smells at all hmmm I also checked to see if my clutch slips, I did the old 4th gear wot from 1400rpms, no slip . Just still wondering why my car feels like it has brake on. So weird!! Ahhhhh, I can’t thank you enough man!!!
Nvm I’m crazy, the feeling of the handbrake is gone woooooo!!!! Thank you again pal!
No problem man . If the car rolls freely when you put the e brake down on a hill then the problem will at least not be the brakes. The clutch and brake fluid reservoir are one and the same in my car (and I thought in all evo 8's and 9s) , they just have a little plastic partition in between to keep them from screwing each other over if there is ever a leak. If you stand next to the the driver side facing the reservoir, the right side of it is the clutch side and the left side is brake fluid (they use the same fluid). The right side drains quickly when you bleed the clutch so you have to keep topping off a "seemingly full" reservoir for the fluid to spill over into the clutch side.
The following users liked this post:
RussianEVO (Apr 18, 2019)
Old Apr 18, 2019, 10:01 AM

This small little tank is suppose to have fluid in it???

Old Apr 18, 2019, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

No problem man . If the car rolls freely when you put the e brake down on a hill then the problem will at least not be the brakes. The clutch and brake fluid reservoir are one and the same in my car (and I thought in all evo 8's and 9s) , they just have a little plastic partition in between to keep them from screwing each other over if there is ever a leak. If you stand next to the the driver side facing the reservoir, the right side of it is the clutch side and the left side is brake fluid (they use the same fluid). The right side drains quickly when you bleed the clutch so you have to keep topping off a "seemingly full" reservoir for the fluid to spill over into the clutch side.
This small little tank is suppose to have fluid in it???
Shoot I am going to have to go pop my hood now. But I could have sworn my 9 has a separate res as I am pretty sure I remember changing my fluid in it. Might have been one of my other cars. Give me a few!

Edit - Like normal, Pal is correct. Sorry about that. I am still an Evo noob. All my other cars are manuals and have a separate res so thats kinda odd to me.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 10:21 AM

thanks pal and lumpy! So I think I might buy a new slave cylinder today and see if that helps the feeling of “the brake always on”. I’m also going to try and the downhill test pal said. Also when I’m bleeding the slave do I just continue to top off the brake master cylinder then? That hose goes straight to the small little baby clutch tank 0_0
Old Apr 18, 2019, 10:36 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
thanks pal and lumpy! So I think I might buy a new slave cylinder today and see if that helps the feeling of “the brake always on”. I’m also going to try and the downhill test pal said. Also when I’m bleeding the slave do I just continue to top off the brake master cylinder then? That hose goes straight to the small little baby clutch tank 0_0
Correct. Just keep a close eye on the brake booster reservoir and top it off after every 2 discharges from the clutch slave cylinder bleeder valve. It shouldn't take too long to get all the air out of the line (if any). Instructions just in case, simply crack open the bleeder valve, press the clutch pedal to the floor (fluid will come out of the bleeder and the clutch will not return by itself). Then close the bleeder and manually lift the clutch pedal off the ground. This will pull fluid into the clutch master from the brake booster reservoir. I usually do this twice before stepping on the clutch pedal a few times to get a feel for where i'm at. Repeat as needed and keep that reservoir topped off to prevent starting over.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Lumpy Sticks
Shoot I am going to have to go pop my hood now. But I could have sworn my 9 has a separate res as I am pretty sure I remember changing my fluid in it. Might have been one of my other cars. Give me a few!

Edit - Like normal, Pal is correct. Sorry about that. I am still an Evo noob. All my other cars are manuals and have a separate res so thats kinda odd to me.
i am a noob as well man haha I only still to this day understand my wife’s Scion tC. Hahahahaha
Old Apr 18, 2019, 11:03 AM

Correct. Just keep a close eye on the brake booster reservoir and top it off after every 2 discharges from the clutch slave cylinder bleeder valve. It shouldn't take too long to get all the air out of the line (if any). Instructions just in case, simply crack open the bleeder valve, press the clutch pedal to the floor (fluid will come out of the bleeder and the clutch will not return by itself). Then close the bleeder and manually lift the clutch pedal off the ground. This will pull fluid into the clutch master from the brake booster reservoir. I usually do this twice before stepping on the clutch pedal a few times to get a feel for where i'm at. Repeat as needed and keep that reservoir topped off to prevent starting over.

thank you again pal! Will try this today! will update thread when finished. Lumpy I might be texting you for help later today with a nice 12 pack hahahahahhaa
Old Apr 18, 2019, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

thank you again pal! Will try this today! will update thread when finished. Lumpy I might be texting you for help later today with a nice 12 pack hahahahahhaa
Haha sounds good. I should be free for a bit tonight. At least long enough to bleed the clutch. Thats easy stuff.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 05:37 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Thought I'd add to this because I have a picture of it. There is a clutch fluid reservoir, but its actually inside the brake reservoir in its own partition that only feeds from a notch at the top, that's why people always say keep your brake reservoir topped off when bleeding the clutch.