Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Wont go into gear with engine running, but drives just fine if I start with clutch in

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2019, 05:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wont go into gear with engine running, but drives just fine if I start with clutch in

My clutch has been grinding/shuddering for a while. Today it wont let me go into gear if the engine is running. I have to turn the engine off, put it into 1st and start with the clutch in. Then I can drive it and shift into all gears normally until I come to a stop and have to put it into 1st gear again.
Also noticed that the clutch does not fully release with the clutch pedal all the way in. For example, on an incline with the engine off, in 1st gear, clutch pedal in, car does not roll freely. As soon as I put it in neutral, the car rolls free.

Anyone had this issue ? Looks like time for a new clutch ?

Here is a video showing the slave movement
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZuB...ature=youtu.be
Old Apr 27, 2019, 05:48 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Try adjusting per the manual

See attached file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
GR00004400-21A.pdf (632.5 KB, 0 views)
Old May 6, 2019, 08:25 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 725 Likes on 567 Posts
Clutch is definitely dragging, do not put too many miles on it like this because you are asking your syncros to work overtime. Does the clutch engage pretty much at the floor?

I personally adjust my clutch for max travel. There's an internal bleed valve in the master cylinder that's activated when the clutch is out. You can adjust the rod going to the pedal right to the point where it just engages that valve. The way you do it is to thread it out until you get to a point where you cant push on the slave cyclinder. Then thread it in maybe a turn past the point where you can push the slave in (by hand)
Old May 7, 2019, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The clutch is not fully releasing. I’ve seen this before many times. Could be a failing master or slave cylinder or as simple as an adjustment