Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Cylinder 1 misfire.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2019, 02:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cylinder 1 misfire.

Hey guys, I've been struggling with getting my 4g64 (2.4l) to fire in cylinder 1. I have 190psi across all 4 cylinders for compression, I am getting spark in the cylinder and I most defiantly have fuel (2150cc) as it is coming out of my exhaust. checked the valves and rockers to make sure they are not getting stuck open or anything like that. i have the Injector resistor box delete kit, all grounds seem to be okay. thinking my stock ECU may have took a **** but i have a AEM V1 that i plugged in with a random tune on it just to see if that cylinder would fire and still nothing. unsure of what to go after next. any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old May 1, 2019, 12:49 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Trying switching that injector with another cylinder. It may be leaking fuel causing the cylinder not to run. There shouldn't be enough fuel at idle/revving with no load to make raw fuel come out the exhaust.
Old May 2, 2019, 03:35 PM

I have swapped out that injector and I sent the injectors out to get tested and they came back working properly. This is some fuel in the cylinder so I sucked it all out and am gonna go get new plugs tomorrow and see if it stops missing in that cylinder.
Old May 7, 2019, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well you only need a few things to get a cylinder to fire. Fuel air compression and ignition. If you have unburnt fuel coming out and you have spark and compression something doesn’t make sense. How strong is the spark? Have you tried swapping any ignition components?
Old May 17, 2019, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by turbotaxi702
Well you only need a few things to get a cylinder to fire. Fuel air compression and ignition. If you have unburnt fuel coming out and you have spark and compression something doesn’t make sense. How strong is the spark? Have you tried swapping any ignition components?
seems like spark is good. I've done all the obvious things like swapping injectors and coils blah blah blah, problem now seems to happen in not only cylinder 1 but also 3 now. gonna bring home my noid light and multi-meter tonight and mess check all the electrical system on the ignition and fuel. not sure what is going on, nothing has changed sense over the winter up here in Michigan expect I blew a head gasket right before the end of the season. but this isn't my first time ripping this car apart just never not had it run right after putting it back together.
Old May 17, 2019, 11:17 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
If your in stock ignition, 1 and 3 share a coil and could be that.

If you have a COP, 1 and 3 coils are still hooked up to the same plug. You to check the wiring.
Old May 17, 2019, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
If your in stock ignition, 1 and 3 share a coil and could be that.

If you have a COP, 1 and 3 coils are still hooked up to the same plug. You to check the wiring.
Exactly what I was thinking but weird that there is spark but not firing. One thing I’ve done in the past to verify that ignition timing is at least in the realm of being right is pulling a spark plug and leave it connected and sitting somewhere you can watch for spark by putting my finger or suitable object over the hole while someone cranks it over and watch for spark precisely when the compression blows your finger off the hole (spark should happed just before tdc). I’m just wondering if it’s not timing related. If you’ve verified good spark and fuel as well as compression it has to all be happening out of time.
Old May 18, 2019, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by turbotaxi702
Exactly what I was thinking but weird that there is spark but not firing. One thing I’ve done in the past to verify that ignition timing is at least in the realm of being right is pulling a spark plug and leave it connected and sitting somewhere you can watch for spark by putting my finger or suitable object over the hole while someone cranks it over and watch for spark precisely when the compression blows your finger off the hole (spark should happed just before tdc). I’m just wondering if it’s not timing related. If you’ve verified good spark and fuel as well as compression it has to all be happening out of time.
I'm starting to believe the same. i'm going to pull off the front cover and check to make sure the timing is correct. Also this is a 2.4l 4g64 with Evo 8 ported head, with coil on plug kit. I just bought and made a new harness for the coil on plug too from JDCustoms. I ohmed out the injectors and coil on plug kit everything seems to be working properly. Hope to at least find the issue today.
Old May 18, 2019, 11:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Who’s COP kit are you running? There are many fake denso coils on the market that don’t work right and cause this issue. There are a few threads about it. Might want to look it up and verify you have real denso coils.
The following users liked this post:
Justin Keith (May 18, 2019)
Old May 18, 2019, 11:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Here’s the link. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...installed.html
Old May 18, 2019, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by wht95scort
I’ll have to check when I get home. I’ve had these on the car for over a year without any problems. The spark plug shows that it is sparking but the plug is clean. I’m thinking maybe the timing is too advanced causing it to spark to early. All other 3 plugs are definitely firing. I’ll post some pictures tonight.
Old May 18, 2019, 05:45 PM

Also once it started up I let it run for a minute and the service engine light came on so I’m gonna bring my snap on scanner from work home to get some data
Old May 20, 2019, 04:53 PM

Update: Brought home my scanner from work, found a bunch of injector fault codes along with crank sensor fault code and a few others ill put them here (p0335,p0118,p0122,p0204,p0203,p0202,and p0201) I used my multi-meter yesterday and the injectors and everything was working properly. Only sensor I have not checked is the Crank Sensor but after going on all data it looks like it most likely the ECU that has gone bad. Luckily I have a AEM Series 1 here, just need someone to come out and get a new tune... hopefully haha.
Old May 22, 2019, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
First failed ECU in a USDM car I've heard of.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 07:48 AM

Still having this issue, is not the ECU as my buddy used it and his car ran just fine with it. I did get all the codes to go away by putting a new crank sensor in but i am still left with a P0201 Cylinder 1 Injector Fault. but I know 100% I am getting fuel to that cylinder. thinking about dropping it off at a known Evo shop in my area I have tried everything to my knowledge and still has a dead cylinder.