Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Damaged valve seat repair

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2019, 08:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
Damaged valve seat repair

Hi guys, in the future I’m planning to build a 2.4 long rod and keep my eye out for blocks and heads. Recently I stumbled on a semi local head that is for sale. Supposedly the head has some damage on the valve seats, not sure of how it happened but you can kinda tell by the pictures. So I have zero knowledge of what is repairable and what is not if the valve seats were damaged or if there was other damage. I was hoping that I can get some input from someone that maybe has had to have a head repaired. I have a couple pictures and if you zoom in you can tell there is some obvious damage. Also apologize if this is the wrong section of the forum for this post.

Last edited by SnailSpeed; May 15, 2019 at 08:45 PM.
Old May 15, 2019, 08:45 PM
Evolving Member

Cam journals and ports seem fine.

Old May 15, 2019, 08:47 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Definitely looks fixable with new seats, possibly some welding and smoothing work in the chamber.
Old May 15, 2019, 09:36 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 575 Likes on 431 Posts
That head has definitely been media blasted. If you pick it up drop new guides in it too. Depending on the media used it can get wedged between the guide and bore at the edge and be an absolute pain to clean out.

As for the damage I'm not seeing the damage on the seats but I do see some in the chambers. All of that's easy enough to fix for a good head shop but if you're doing this to save a buck you're probably better off buying a decent condition head as this will cost more in the long run after getting it fixed.
Old May 17, 2019, 11:57 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the input guys. Trying to have some local machines shops take a look at the pictures and see what they say.