Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

EVO 2 CE9A Bolt on Turbo Help

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2019, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EVO 2 CE9A Bolt on Turbo Help

So I'm new to the Mitsubishi Evolution World. I just recently Picked up an Evo 2 here in the States and Blew my Turbo this week. Was hoping someone could help me with ideas for bolt on turbos similar to stock power or one that I could run without upgrading a bunch of internals.

I'm Currently Looking at the "ARMS M7960 TURBO KIT 4G63 EVO 4-9 BY TOMEI"
But was wondering what may be needed to bolt on to an evo 1-3. Or what the difference is.

Also the power I am looking for is something reliable to daily drive. Nothing Crazy. 300- low 300's

Thanks for the help / Info in advance. Hope this is the correct place on the forums to post this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 05:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
The 68HTA would be good. It will easily make 300HP at lower boost levels and you could up the boost down the road if you ever decide you want more power (400HP)

http://www.forcedperformance.net/fp-68hta-for-dsm.html
Old Jun 21, 2019, 06:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Low 300's? You have an Evo II so it has a TD05-16G (small) 345-365hp @ 22 psi. Stay stock turbo and do supporting mods, your car will be a rocket.

Be sure to get a proper 02 Eliminator down pipe or you will have boost creep, Port the hell out of your hot side as well. th16G is a killer factory turbo with unmatched spoolup and reliability.

Turbo should be your last mod.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 09:02 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by High_PSI
Low 300's? You have an Evo II so it has a TD05-16G (small) 345-365hp @ 22 psi. Stay stock turbo and do supporting mods, your car will be a rocket.

Be sure to get a proper 02 Eliminator down pipe or you will have boost creep, Port the hell out of your hot side as well. th16G is a killer factory turbo with unmatched spoolup and reliability.

Turbo should be your last mod.
His stock turbo blew up.

OP, pull your turbo and send it to FP, they can rebuild it and upgrade to the 68hta, which would be perfect for you.
The following users liked this post:
Benny_ (Jun 21, 2019)
Old Jun 21, 2019, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 118 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by Benny_
So I'm new to the Mitsubishi Evolution World. I just recently Picked up an Evo 2 here in the States and Blew my Turbo this week. Was hoping someone could help me with ideas for bolt on turbos similar to stock power or one that I could run without upgrading a bunch of internals.

I'm Currently Looking at the "ARMS M7960 TURBO KIT 4G63 EVO 4-9 BY TOMEI"
But was wondering what may be needed to bolt on to an evo 1-3. Or what the difference is.

Also the power I am looking for is something reliable to daily drive. Nothing Crazy. 300- low 300's

Thanks for the help / Info in advance. Hope this is the correct place on the forums to post this.
The ARMS M7960 is a horrific turbo, it's just a 20G wheel (44 lb/min flow) with a TD06 hot side. It's a gross mismatch that will lag much worse than the stock turbo and barely provide any power benefit. Plus it won't fit the Evo 1-3.

Your choices are essentially what's available for DSMs, which means there is a lot. For your purposes, since you don't want much over stock power, you should do everything in the interest of response. Therefore, do not choose anything with a bigger turbine housing than your current 7cm unit. I think the 68HTA (47 lb/min) upgrade to your blown stock turbo is the way to go, depending on how damaged it is. The 68HTA with 7cm hotside spools like the stock turbo, but will make better power, and will deliver more if you decide to push it hard. Use a FP Race cast manifold or your stock manifold, and replace the o2 housing with an external wastegate setup. This setup has been done many times and I promise you that it will be very solid.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
His stock turbo blew up.

OP, pull your turbo and send it to FP, they can rebuild it and upgrade to the 68hta, which would be perfect for you.

Great point, go with the 68hta, make sure to port the hot side. Get a proper downpipe with an 02 eliminator.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by High_PSI
Great point, go with the 68hta, make sure to port the hot side. Get a proper downpipe with an 02 eliminator.
Well, luckily I've got a cracked down pipe so I was going to replace that too. Mind pointing me in a direction for a solid Down Pipe?

Thanks for the advice everyone
Old Jun 21, 2019, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

Well, luckily I've got a cracked down pipe so I was going to replace that too. Mind pointing me in a direction for a solid Down Pipe?

Thanks for the advice everyone
For the Evo123 on stock-frame turbo and stock o2 housing fitment, you have two options. Nothing is available with an o2 housing eliminator.

A'Pexi N1: https://www.ebay.com/itm/APEXi-GT-Downpipe-LANCER-EVOLUTION-I-II-III-CD9A-CE9A-4G63-92-09-96-08-145-M001/132652180979

Fujitsubo: https://www.blackhawkjapan.com/colle...aust-610-32033

Or, have one fabricated. I have the A'Pexi on my car, it's a good piece.
Benny_ (Jun 21, 2019)
Old Jun 21, 2019, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by RS200
For the Evo123 on stock-frame turbo and stock o2 housing fitment, you have two options. Nothing is available with an o2 housing eliminator.

A'Pexi N1: https://www.ebay.com/itm/APEXi-GT-Downpipe-LANCER-EVOLUTION-I-II-III-CD9A-CE9A-4G63-92-09-96-08-145-M001/132652180979

Fujitsubo: https://www.blackhawkjapan.com/colle...aust-610-32033

Or, have one fabricated. I have the A'Pexi on my car, it's a good piece.
Going with the Fujitsubo. So it's all essentially bolt on with the FP 68HTA and Downpipe?
Old Jun 21, 2019, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

Going with the Fujitsubo. So it's all essentially bolt on with the FP 68HTA and Downpipe?
To bolt the setup on, you *may* need an Evo III o2 housing, as it different than Evo I and II. I know for certain that the Evo III is different than DSMs with bolt spacing and angle. Some downpipes have slotted flanges to make either bolt spacing work, but I don't think the Fujitsubo has it. If they advertise the downpipe as Evo 1-3, it will probably work with any of their o2 housings. Either way, I would try bolting it up with your Evo II housing. It may work by stressing the flex pipe, or it may fit just fine as-is. The Evo III housing flows the most out of the 1-3, so there may be some spool gains with the Evo III housing.

If you want to stay with the IWG, the stock Evo III unit is good. If you want to go EWG, I'm not 100% certain on the bolt pattern and angle of the Punishment Racing (and similar style) flange, but that's what you would need.

For what it's worth, I have a FP Race manifold, FP68HTA with 7cm housing, 32mm flapper and Holset wastegate actuator, with a stock Evo III o2 housing, A'Pexi downpipe, high flow cat (forget which brand) and A'Pexi N1 catback. There was some bending to get the catback mounted up properly, but it was pretty minor.

Last edited by RS200; Jun 21, 2019 at 06:46 PM.
Benny_ (Jun 21, 2019)
Old Jun 21, 2019, 06:47 PM

okay, this is a list of everything ill be changing.

- FP DSM Race Manifold,
- FP 68HTA for DSM Turbo External Waste Gate on O2 Housing
- Fujitsubo Front Pipe

Would I run into any weird angle issues bolting on? Attempting to find an EVO III o2 Sensor housing isnt going well
Old Jun 21, 2019, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

- FP DSM Race Manifold,
- Fujitsubo Front Pipe

Would I run into any weird angle issues bolting on? Attempting to find an EVO III o2 Sensor housing isnt going well
Ah, I didn't see that the MHI Evo III o2 housing isn't available anymore. It's part number MR224847, I would go looking for a used one if your Evo II housing doesn't work. The DSM style housing will require some modification to make it work on the Evo downpipe, so only do that if you're out of options.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by RS200
Ah, I didn't see that the MHI Evo III o2 housing isn't available anymore. It's part number MR224847, I would go looking for a used one if your Evo II housing doesn't work. The DSM style housing will require some modification to make it work on the Evo downpipe, so only do that if you're out of options.
Got it, Found a guy in the UK Selling an OEM EVO III o2 Sensor. Will let you know how it all goes. Getting another opinion from an auto shop next week.

It's a real bummer having my only car being out of commission.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 02:15 PM

So here's one more thing I'm Curious about.

Does my engine share a lot of the same gaskets and hoses as US Model Mitsubishi's with the same engine?

Trying to make it easier on myself when finding these kind of parts.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 02:17 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts

- FP DSM Race Manifold,
- Fujitsubo Front Pipe

External wastegate means you need to run a tial external wastegate. Like this-

https://stmtuned.com/collections/1g-...-mvs-wastegate

Or this-

https://stmtuned.com/collections/1g-...-mvs-wastegate

If you want to run the stock style wastegate actuator (which is what you would use with a stock O2 housing), you need to select the "internally gated" option.

With the internal gate option you can run a stock O2 housing, or one of these two-

https://stmtuned.com/collections/1g-...ted-o2-housing

https://stmtuned.com/collections/1g-...tmosphere-dump
Benny_ (Jun 22, 2019)