Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Can you guys check over my clutch replacement parts list?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2019, 01:23 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,547 Likes on 1,326 Posts
Yeah. Have to take that off to get that bolt out for the tcase. Then I leave that bolt out on my car, so I don't have to do the ACD if I'm just pulling the trans or doing the clutch.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 295 Likes on 236 Posts
Sean - k sounds good. I'll leave that bolt out.

Kiki - thank you so much for the awesome idea on pulling the shaft. For some reason, I dont have a slide hammer. But your method and my home made creation worked perfectly. Just got to get a bit creative sometimes!

Old Oct 5, 2019, 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 277 Likes on 213 Posts
yeah, looks perfect..

since this is a 6 speed you will have to drop the subframe... unhook the steering shaft U joint from the rack (inside the car) and mark it so that you can slide it back on in the same position.. then drop the subframe and leave it hanging from the track rods.. I usually pull out the ball joints from the knuckles so that the subframe can be moved more...

this will also make it easier to remove the rear trans mount
Old Oct 5, 2019, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

Is it a must that the cross member has to drop or just makes it easier? That was something I was hoping to avoid. Couple more bolts and the trans is ready to come out.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 04:09 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,547 Likes on 1,326 Posts
You just have to lower the subframe a bit. It doesn't have to come down far enough to disconnect the steering shaft.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 05:54 PM
Evolved Member

K so it looks like I can lower it about 3/4s of an inch. Honestly, it looks like if I can lower the trans enough and use a ratchet strap on the engine (moving the trans toward the front) the trans will come out just fine, without lowering the subframe. You guys who have done this more then once can call me crazy but has anyone tried that?

I am calling it quits for the day too. Way too many interruptions today. Probably only had 3 hours to work on it today. I have to pop out the tob, take out 3 more trans bolts and it's ready to come out. Subframe lowering hopefully not included but I have a feeling I'll be wrong.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 277 Likes on 213 Posts
I always drop the subframe but it is a matter of personal choice...
Old Oct 6, 2019, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

Back to it today. Stuck on that stupid TOB. There has to be a secret on how to release it!

I'm going to watch a couple more videos but I think I am doing it correct. Any special tips from the pros would be great.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

Nevermind. Got it. Wasnt putting enough pressure on the fork. Pair of vise grips solved that and its released.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 02:45 PM
Evolved Member

Trans is separated from the engine but not out. I started dropping it and then got called to kid duty. So it's on hold for now. What I notice so far is that if I could unbolt the shift linkage on the trans, life would be good. But I have a feeling something inside the trans has to come off before that can be removed. That's the first issue I'm running into, the shift link is hitting the frame rail. No subframe issues yet. Engine is angled down as far as it can go, right before the ac hits the other frame rail. I may have to lift it back up a hair to see if I can pull the trans forward some more.

Old Oct 6, 2019, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

Removed shifter linkage from trans and it came right out. Didnt drop the subframe. However, I have no idea how it's going to go back in....

Old Oct 7, 2019, 08:38 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 160 Likes on 117 Posts
Nice work Sean! Still the original clutch?
Old Oct 7, 2019, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

Ya I am going say its the original one. Barely made it to 65k miles. I am thinking the 2 owners before me did not know how to drive or drove harder then I thought. I have absolutely no maintenance records on the car so the more I do myself, the better I feel about actually knowing what has and has not been done.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 09:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lumpy Sticks
Sweet! Everything has been ordered and parts should be trickling in next week. Tomorrow I will start the wonderful task of removing the trans. Never done one so I am sure its going to be interesting.

At least since the front bumper is coming off, I can weld on a nut for a tow hook. Been wanting to do that for a while now.
Where did you order from? I'm looking into getting a new clutch as well..debating on exedy twin or ACT since I DD my evo and it's super stock but will be adding mods soon.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

I ordered all the clutch stuff from a place where not just anyone can order from. So I dont think it would help. Its pretty much Summit Racing but for businesses only.

Also to note for anyone who comes across this thread later on. Even with the 6-speed, I did not have to drop the subframe at all. Trans came out and went in without too much hassle.

Quick Reply: Can you guys check over my clutch replacement parts list?