Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Diy cop evo 8

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2019, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diy cop evo 8

What's up Evo fam, So I just made a COP harness and I know I did it right, I went and double and triple checked my work and made sure all the pins were in the right place. I have brand new Denso Coils PART# (90919-02240). This is on an Evo 8 and after installing everything and trying to start the car, the car did not start. so I went and checked my work again I pulled the harness both of them and re-did them again and checked and made sure the harness was made correct. So at this point, I pulled the plugs and there is fuel on the pistons I installed the stock coils and the car started right up and burnt all that unburnt fuel in the cylinders. So I know the car runs and starts perfectly with stocks coils, And there is no issue with my CPS. So again I installed the COP kit again and this time it acted like it wanted to start but did a Lil backfire so again I took the harness apart 100% and started all over again. Car is on E85 and it's tuned there is fuel and everything works 100% confirming with the stock coils. I already checked the fuse in the car and it's fine I know I need a 15AMP fuse but even with the stock 10AMP fuse, I know the car should at least start. I there anything that I missed that someone can point me in the right direction? I am going to be checking to make sure the coils are working with a Voltmeter and see what results I get back. Any info will help thanks for your time.

Old Oct 26, 2019, 10:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
If you're running 02240 coils you'll need to stretch the springs about 1/8" - 3/16" to make sure they have solid contact with the spark plugs
Old Oct 27, 2019, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by llDemonll
If you're running 02240 coils you'll need to stretch the springs about 1/8" - 3/16" to make sure they have solid contact with the spark plugs
Yessir, I also did that but I think the coils are bad! I installed the coils from my wife's Camry and the car started and ran perfectly. So I just got a ****ty pack of Denso Coils. New Coils are on the way thanks for the input.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 09:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
Where did you purchase the ignition coils? I’m not sure if you are aware but they do make counterfeit denso ignition coils. I found out the hard way back when I built a few. But even on the counterfeit ones the vehicle should still be able to at least start. The issue with the counterfeits that I used is I got spark blowout, a lot worse than on stock ignition.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 09:13 PM
Evolving Member

looking at the picture it’s kinda hard to tell but they may be fake. Real denso coils have a fin coming off the top of the letter d
Old Oct 27, 2019, 10:16 PM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
has anyone tried a better 3 wire coil like this with more energy? I wonder if the ecoboost 4 cylinder C.O.P.s would work?
Old Oct 28, 2019, 08:34 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jp7
has anyone tried a better 3 wire coil like this with more energy? I wonder if the ecoboost 4 cylinder C.O.P.s would work?
I know that a lot of places that sell cop kits for evos have switched to the new gtr ignition coil, or at least have the option to.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by SnailSpeed
looking at the picture it’s kinda hard to tell but they may be fake. Real denso coils have a fin coming off the top of the letter d
Yea these do not I already got my money back and going a different route the seller is not emailing me back. I guess i need to make sure they are legit and not fake.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 11:51 AM
Silver Sponsor

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by castro7
Yea these do not I already got my money back and going a different route the seller is not emailing me back. I guess i need to make sure they are legit and not fake.
I can guarantee you 1000% those coils are definitely fake. I've been dealing with new and used coils for over 4 years now and the fakes are very easy for me to spot. I even created a post that shows the little details to check to see if they're real or fake. I sell both new and refurbished coils if haven't already purchased another set. If you have any questions about your cop please dm me and I should be able to help.
@JD_Customs_USA
(423)665-9616
The following users liked this post:
Tommyfacekicker (Oct 30, 2019)
Old Oct 29, 2019, 11:55 AM
Silver Sponsor

Originally Posted by SnailSpeed
I know that a lot of places that sell cop kits for evos have switched to the new gtr ignition coil, or at least have the option to.
We haven't completely "switched" to the Hitachi GT-R coils, but we do offer them. The Denso coils are still very reliable and powerful enough for most Evo owners who don't plan on making over 900whp. If you have a JDC mounting plate, the Denso and GT-R coils both work, so the only difference is the wire harness and mounting hardware.
@JD_Customs_USA
(423)665-9616
Old Oct 30, 2019, 03:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by JD Customs USA
I can guarantee you 1000% those coils are definitely fake. I've been dealing with new and used coils for over 4 years now and the fakes are very easy for me to spot. I even created a post that shows the little details to check to see if they're real or fake. I sell both new and refurbished coils if haven't already purchased another set. If you have any questions about your cop please dm me and I should be able to help.
can you please put a link to that post? Thanks
Tommyfacekicker (Oct 30, 2019)
Old Oct 30, 2019, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by JD Customs USA
You say refurbished coils how are they refurbished? don't see a way to rebuild these.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 02:08 PM
Silver Sponsor

The coils are cleaned with an ultrasonic cleaner and the bottom insulator boot is replaced with a new one. I also test them for the proper resistance and check for any hairline cracks. It's true that they can't be opened to replace any of the inside components, and that's why I offer the 2 year warranty on them. It's a pretty rare occasion to have a coil go out, but I do honor the warranty within the customer's time of purchase.
@JD_Customs_USA
(423)665-9616
castro7 (Oct 30, 2019)
Old Oct 30, 2019, 03:20 PM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
A resistance check on an ignition coil is not a good test. Ignition coils need to be tested under a load- which by definition is a high current draw. When you use an ohm-meter, the amount of current flow is micro amps, or milli amps at best.

I have a scientific ohm-meter which can load a circuit with 10 amps of current. This is the kind of load you need to place on a circuit like this to properly meter resistance. Granted, not everyone has a $2000 tool like this.
castro7 (Oct 30, 2019)
Old Oct 31, 2019, 07:43 AM
Silver Sponsor

I know the resistance test isn't a fool proof way to make sure the coils are in perfect shape and that's why I offer a 2 year warranty, which is way more than most other companies will offer on a used part. I've been selling them for over 4 years and it's really rare to have a failure, so it works for me.
@JD_Customs_USA
(423)665-9616

Quick Reply: Diy cop evo 8