Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo Mid Pipe?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2004, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo Mid Pipe?

I currently have the Works axel back and hks dp. Im pretty happy with the sound of the car, not too loud, and pretty deep.

Im wondering, how restrictive is the evo midpipe. I know it has what, 2 resontaors in it. I left this alone to keep the car from being too loud. But after reading about alot of hp to be gained from a turbo back, Im thinking of getting a new midpipe.

Are there any out there that have some sort of resonator in it. And where can you buy just the midpipe at? I dont really want to ditch the Works and get a catback, just maybe a new midpipe.

Also does the dump pipe off the turbo really help with hp gains? I think I seen them for about $320,, kinda spendy.

But really what Im after is ideas on a new midpipe, that wont make my car much louder than it is now. Also does anyone have a picture of the stock evo midpipe, I would like to see what it looks like. Also I dont want a high flow cat cause they throw cel's.

Thanks Alot!
Old Apr 24, 2004, 11:05 AM
Evolving Member

With a larger midpipe with or with out resonator, your car is going to be pretty loud considering the works axle-back has no muffler. I know you don't want to do it but I reccomend ditching the axle-back and get a cat-back. I have the b&b cat-back and I love the thing, great gains and stock sound. If you ever come to Lincoln feel free to come by and check it out.

I don't think the dump-pipe is worth the money. You'll probably see limited gains over your hks downpipe, maybe 5 hp. If you want you could replace the 02 housing or port your stock one.
Old Apr 24, 2004, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whatup,

I have a Helix 3" dp and Buschur AB. I have a 3" RT cat on the way. I don't think all highflow cats always cause a cel, but I can let you know. I think the cat will provide more gains than the midpipe. The muffler and dp are also fairly restrictive, and like you I'd like to keep the sound down. I actually got a ticket when I just had the Bushur AB!

Doesn't Works offer an upgrade midpipe to work with their muffler delete? I think they have multiple options with/without resonators and diff pipe diameters.

Anyway, I think the cat would provide more gain, but need to investigate the cel and also how much it increases sound. Otherwise, check out Works offerings...

Take care,

FB
Old Apr 24, 2004, 07:48 PM

i have Turbo XS downpipe, UR HF cat and MR full 3" catback. NO cell so far.
Old Apr 25, 2004, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

Ultimate racing DP, mid pipe (NO cat) and cat back.... 3" , no CEL, no cats

-shahul
Old Apr 25, 2004, 12:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Shahul X
Ultimate racing DP, mid pipe (NO cat) and cat back.... 3" , no CEL, no cats

-shahul
No CEL no Cat?...hows that?

I have B&B cat-pipe....HKS cat back, and sounds sweet!...not to loud tho, maybe when i install my HKS down pipe, will change a bit?
Old Apr 26, 2004, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

I wonder if the B&B or Helix will sell just their midpipe, and will it mate upto the Works Axelback? The Axel back mates upto the stock midpipe.

Then if its too loud,,, just get their muffler,,, or a magnaflow, right?

However......I really really, like the Works Exhale, I could tell alot of throttle response gain when it was first installed. I would hate to ditch it.
Old Apr 26, 2004, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

I thought the big restrictions were muffler, cat, and dp. Since you've nailed 2/3, the I would recommend a high flow cat. I was under the assumption most high flow cats didn't throw CEL. You could opt for a UR test pipe (guaranteed no CEL). I wouldn't believe a new midpipe would be worth its costs, especially if you wanted a new midpipe with resonators (you wanted to keep noise down). You're better off selling the AB and getting a cat back.
Old Apr 26, 2004, 08:38 AM
Evolving Member

I don't think a midpipe is worth the cost. I just checked the works website and they say it's only a 5 whp gain over stock.

http://worksrally.com/products/0213