Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.
View Poll Results: Does your Evo ever grind when shifting fast with the clutch down??
Yes, it has happened at least once.
83.33%
No, never.
16.67%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Grinded 2nd once today :(

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2004, 11:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grinded 2nd once today :(

I was driving my Evo today and came up on an on-ramp to get on the freeway and shifted from 1st to 2nd at over 6k RPM when the gears grinded D:. I'm pretty sure I had the clutch depressed all the way when it occured so I was kind of concerned. I dont believe it was a mis-shift on my behalf because this is the first time this has happened. I tried it again and went easier on the clutch when I shifted and it didnt occur again. I remember reading some posts on this occuring to other members so I guess it isn't such a big concern. Has this happened to any other members at least once?

Last edited by neonsalamander; May 4, 2004 at 11:41 PM.
Old May 4, 2004, 11:45 PM
Evolving Member

has happened to me often when i shift very fast...and yes clutch was depressed all the way when it happens.....i have the cusco twin disc carbon fiber clutch. to avoid the grind, i have to ease up on my shift......this trans shifts alot like my t-45 from my mustang...i fixed that by putting in a t-56, best tranny ever. unfortunately there doesent seem to be a similar fix for the evos.....before i see all the posts saying i dont know how to drive, i would think if i couldnt drive, my t-56 would grind too but it never has.
Old May 4, 2004, 11:55 PM
Evolved Member

It happened to me alot in the past. Luckly, Evo comes with 3 snycros between 1st and 2nd so it is fine as long as you don't grind the actual gears.

Make sure you don't put any pressure on the shifter when shifting from 1st to second. Any slight pressure on the shifter before the clutch is pressed in all the way will cause the syncros to not line up so you'll miss shift. Our hand is faster than our leg so just train yourself to press first than shift. It's been working for me.
Old May 5, 2004, 04:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by simevo
Make sure you don't put any pressure on the shifter when shifting from 1st to second. Any slight pressure on the shifter before the clutch is pressed in all the way will cause the syncros to not line up so you'll miss shift. Our hand is faster than our leg so just train yourself to press first than shift. It's been working for me.
I concur, any slight pressure on the shifter will hamper a presise engagement. What sucks is it can happen at the most unappropriate time
Old May 5, 2004, 05:06 AM
Evolving Member

its happened to me a few times at very inconvienant times, (1/4)
Old May 5, 2004, 07:07 AM

This has happened a couple times, but not since I have corrected or started being a little more precise with the timing of pressing the clutch and grabbing for the next gear, oh and the addition of a SS clutch line. I also slam the clutch pedal to the floor (harder than necessary not really slamming it) then grab the next gear. This method takes a little longer, but it is definitely better than grinding and not being able to get it in gear.
Old May 5, 2004, 07:36 AM
Evolving Member

You guys think shifter bushings help to cure this?
Old May 5, 2004, 07:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I added the underhood shifter bushing and the Pennsoil/chevy trans oil and it helped alot. It wont grind any more but some time it may not go in gear as fast as I would like, Feels like a slow gate, have to wait for the syncro to line up, but the grind is gone. Shifter bushings will help.
Old May 5, 2004, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

guys guys, our trans can't handle our fast upshifts like the ones you see in Best Motoring videos. Continued abusive shifting may result in syncro wear. After the syncros wear out then the gears go out, hence the all famous GRIND.... ouch.
A well known DSM shop told me shift gradual and precise on our trans' if you want it to last.
I think its better to lose a tenth or two in the 1/4 than lose your syncros.
Remember this is your Baby so "BE KIND AND DON'T GRIND
Old May 5, 2004, 10:35 PM
Evolving Member

I've done it twice racing, and rpms shot to 8000 (1st - 2nd). I'm feeling as though my car is slower and the engine is making a very unnoticable valve knock but its probly just me.
Old May 6, 2004, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

The Evo transmissions are not designed for drag racing. Their on/off road design is built for a different mission intention. Drag transmissions do not have synchros, just straight cut gears,thus the main reason why our transmissions will have potential issues if you drive them like a 60s muscle car.
Old May 6, 2004, 11:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The first week after I took home my Tarmac Black I was very suprised when the high RPM 1-2 upshift miss happened to me. This happened several times. Almost everytime I tried a high RPM 1-2 upshift. Then after about 1,500 miles I never noticed it again. This happened a handfull of times. I normally don't drive this way.

I have a new transmission problem though. On Saturday April 3rd I participated in a SCDA track day at Lime Rock Park. Nearly every 4-5 upshift at between 6,500-7,000 plus RPM produced a grind going into fifth. The difference is that I was able to get it in gear. I was not able to get in into 2nd with the same high RPM shift. The same thing occured at Watkins Glen on Monday.

I mentioned the problem to my dealer. He said it would be difficult for them to road test it.

I mentioned this to Uncle Russ the transmission guy and he said try changing the lube.

Flybyevo...
Old May 6, 2004, 08:43 PM
Evolved Member

When i first got my evo last year i noticed the occasional grind going into second gear from first. as time went on, it got alot better. it may have been that the car is just breaking in or i just became a better user of the tranny. also to note. I just changed out all the drivetrain fluids with redline today and it really does make a noticiable difference. drivetrain is much quiter and the shifting is much smoother and no sign of grind between gears. just don't power shift these cars and i think you'll be fine.
Old May 6, 2004, 08:44 PM
Evolving Member

Fast shifting has nothing to do with grinding. It's a problem with the syncros. If you want to say the evo doesn't like fast shifting, that's cool. but it's about the syncos. I used to grind fast shifts on an irregular basis compared to other cars i've driven. I don't put to much faih in the usdm evo tranny. The motor is sick, but for me, the rest couldn't hold up. There are a bunch of lemon evos rolling. but the3re are also more solid evos around, lick of the draw i guess.
Old May 6, 2004, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

It's only happened to me twice have less than 7000 miles on her. The times I've grinded 2nd seem to be the same situation. At a stop light wanting to turn left, when the light turns green accelerate into the left turn, just as the car almost straightens out from the left turn I'm at 7000 rpm, shift into 2nd griiiiinnnnnndddd. Could be the momentum from the accelerated turn to cause me not to depress the clutch and cause the grind. But two times is enough for me, I won't be trying that anymore at a stoplight the car just doesn't like it. In straight line she doesn't have a problem.

Quick Reply: Grinded 2nd once today :(