Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

good muffler ideas?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2002, 03:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stupid doesn't have two OO's
Old Sep 22, 2002, 10:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've heard a Nakayama muffler on a Probe GT, and it sounds pretty damn good. But I don't know if Probe GT's V6 is part of the factor.
Old Sep 22, 2002, 11:30 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Play nice guys. As for exhaust, you want a straight through designed exhaust. 2.25 not bigger. You want mandrel bent piping if possible and you want a good seal at the flange to. That means no cheesy flanges because they will warp and then cause exhaust leaks. I've seen some nice custom jobs and some horrible ones. Yesterday I saw one that had pipe entering muffler at a 40 degree angle and just filled gap with welds. "Ouch!" Also make sure tip isn't too close to bumper cup. Heat can melt paint on your rear bumper.

ROAD/RACE
http://www.roadracemotorsports.com/
Old Sep 26, 2002, 09:42 PM
Evolving Member

Rock,
I know this has been asked a thousand times, so here is a thousand and one. Are you guys still planning a catback exhaust? I am going to get one and prefer it to be from you guys since you have showed a lot of dedication to the Lancer and your exhaust thus far has been thought of highly.
Old Sep 27, 2002, 06:04 AM

Which is better, RMR or RRM exhaust. just wondering what would give you better hp gain and will the rrm have a cat-back and does the rmr have one now.

thanks, craig
Old Oct 18, 2002, 12:29 PM

obx racing makes a cat back system for lancers now along with alot of other things
Old Oct 18, 2002, 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by CTS 1273
obx racing makes a cat back system for lancers now along with alot of other things
If you actually search OBX stuff on the forum, none of it fits the Lancer 'cept for the universal stuff. Plus OBX isn't exactly quality. Haha...we had a "vendor" disappear after he realized he was selling goods that didn't fit the car...

As for cbpotts' question, both exhausts aren't going to be doing to much until they actually have more larger diameter piping, not this axel-back stop gap measure.
Old Oct 22, 2002, 10:47 AM
In Timeout

RMRLA012 MMC Stainless Exhaust

Dudes

Check out this stainless exhaust.
I'm getting 15 to 20% more power on the freeway.
Maybe 35% more shifting from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd.
Details in my vehicle profile...

Last edited by BOOYAH1369; Oct 22, 2002 at 10:59 AM.
Old Oct 22, 2002, 10:58 AM
Evolving Member

im going with a true catback dual on my galant. i'll be upgrading it to a true dual when i get me a seat of headers. but nonetheless, im going with dual 2.25" mandrel bent pipes from the cat and going all the way back. with going with a dual, sound will be a big issue. i've thought about the the obx and the arospeed, and the magnaflow mufflers and well single alone they give a nice semi loud sound. and well, im scared of the sound of em slapped on a dual. so im going with a bosal. its 62 dollars a piece. str8 thru design and they're really quiet. on a single setup, it sounds just like stock @ idle but when u hit the throttle, you get a deep roar.

https://www.olyonline.com/Xmas.htm
Old Oct 22, 2002, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

BOOYAH....don't you also have a siR badge on your trunk......NUF said....
Old Oct 22, 2002, 12:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by uranium9v
and whats wrong with a dual. its not like a ihave a str8 six or something. i have a v6. which means two banks of cylinders, two headers. as soon as i get the headers i'll get that extra cat and each bank of cylinders will have its own exhaust. i'll probably add on an X pipe or something to balance the exhaust note. its old school design. some cars come stock with em, its not like i got a an exhaust tip hanging down from the bumper on one side. both muffler will be functional and will do great with that 6 pack i plan on gettting. but yea 1 mod at a time...
Old Oct 22, 2002, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

what did that have to do with my statement?
Old Oct 22, 2002, 01:21 PM
In Timeout

Cool Yepperz! Will trade '03 OZ for '03 Evo

Originally posted by uranium9v
I'm torn between spending the $7K for an ACT body kit, springs, intercooler, turbo , blow-off valve and 18' rims & rubber; and spending twice that to trade in the OZ for a new Evo.

Ideas?
Old May 8, 2004, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by LancerXtreme
I'd go with a Magnaflow muffler. They not all that expensive and sound nice. And go with a 2.25" Cat-Back exhaust. Then buy the RRM Test Pipe. That would give your car a nice sound to it. Then add a Injen Cold Air Intake.
good call thats what i got right now and it sounds sweet... a little louder then i wanted, but when you keep your foot off the floor it has a low rumble and when you hit it, you (and anyone around you) knows it... its a much lower sound and doesnt sound like a tin can... the cold air is a good call too... i like to play with it at the stop lights and hear the slight wistle that it makes...
Old Jul 8, 2004, 12:44 PM
Evolving Member

I went with the greddy EVO 2 exhaust fits and sounds great + full stainless steel

Quick Reply: good muffler ideas?