Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Stuck Installing Cam Gears

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2004, 03:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stuck Installing Cam Gears

Hey guys, I really need some help. I started installing my Vishnu Cam gears this morning and I was doing fine until I got to the right gear. I started on the left cam gear and ended up getting it alligned to the right one. After I was done, I tried to break the bolt on the right gear and instead of it coming loose it just kept on turning counter clockwise. I finally decided to use my impact wrench to break the bolt, which worked. My problem now is the that I cannot seem to turn that right gear to get alligned with the arrow mark on the car. Does anyone have any idea on how I can get the right gear to start moving again. Also, it moves about a quarter turn in both directions, but not enough to get back to its original spot.

Thanks,
Gnulooks...
Old May 28, 2004, 04:31 PM
Evolving Member

You are actually turning the cam shaft. You have to be very careful or your cam timing will be off TDC. You should have taken off the valve cover and used a wrench to hold the cam shaft while you broke loose the cam gear bolt. Did you mark TDC on the timing belt before you removed the stock cam gear? At this point I would take off the valve cover, get the gears to TDC, and turn the cam shafts until they line up with the cam gears.

Last edited by Reignman; May 28, 2004 at 04:34 PM.
Old May 28, 2004, 09:40 PM
Evolving Member

Actually I was holding the intake side Cam with a wrench, but the exhaust side still turned and the bolt did not break. I did mark the TDC on the exhaust side of the Cam when I did the install. Tomorrow I plan on taking off the valve cover, however, I do not know what I need to look for when I have the two camshafts in front of me. In the above post, you stated that I can turn the cam shafts. Will that be hard and what tools does it require, if any.

Thanks, Gnulooks...
Old May 28, 2004, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

i dont think you want to turn the cam with out turning the crank also. I think you are driving a valve onto a piston and thats why you are only rotating 1/4 turn then stopping. I could be wrong, but you need help either way.... RRR
Old May 29, 2004, 02:36 PM
Evolving Member

Ok guys, I finally fixed the problem. I had to remove the valve cover and remove all the bolts to the exhaust side camshaft. The cam immediately poped itself back in place.

Now here is my next problem, I originally had the intake side cam to TDC. However, I had to rotate the crank because it accidentally moved past TDC, which makes it almost impossible to allign the other cam. So this is what I did, I rotated the crank until I hit TDC with my intake cam (this is the one which was correct and alligned to TDC). I then took my exhaust cam and also set it at TDC. I rotated the crank again and both sides are perfectly alligned. How do I check if my timing is correct before I put everything back together and start the car back up. I am now worried because I had to rotate the entire sprocket over to get this job done.
Old May 29, 2004, 06:15 PM
Evolving Member

Last post, I am finally done. Just got finished putting the car back together and loading up my stage 1 maps. I started her up and she seems to be running fine. Also, I took her around the block and ran up to 4th gear with my mid to high throttle runs. I am sure she pulls a lot harder up top, but I won't be getting on it until I put a few more miles on the motor.

In all, this install is not so bad after you figure it out. However, I would not recommend this to anyone who does not have all the tools necessary including a compressor and impact tools. Being my first time, I spent almost 10 hours trying to figure out what I had done wrong. I can probably do it again in maybe 2 to 3 hours tops.

Peace out, Gnulooks...