Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Clutch Problem

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2004, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Angry Clutch Problem

I Had A New Clutch Installed Two Weeks Ago. It Was Fine Untill A Couple Of Days Ago. I Noticed It Was Getting Hard To Put Into First Gear When I Would Stop At A Red Light / Stop Sign. Now It Started To Do It In 2nd... I Have To Turn The Car Off And Put It Into 1st Gear.....

Today
I Made An Adjustment Behind The Clutch Pedal Ad It Is A Little Beter Every Once In A While It Does It Now......

The Other Problem I Have Happen A Few Days After The Clutch Was Installed. When I Let The Clutch Out In First Gear And Start To Roll It Makes A Loud Winnie Nose And Goes Away When The Car Rolls. When The Clutch Is Let All The Way Out It Stops.

The Clutch Is An Exedy Hyper Single Disk, New Throw Out Bearing, And Flywheel..

Anybody Have Any Info On This..........
Old Jun 18, 2004, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You need a clutch rod actuator. i think lancershop.com has one. it's a different length to correct the problem you are having.
Old Jul 25, 2004, 07:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone actually used this part? I'm having the same problem with my car, and just like Philly Evo, when adjusting the pedal out, it almost corrects the problem. I would think that you'd need to extend the rod to get more throw, rather than shorten it to get more throw. Am I wrong??
Old Jul 26, 2004, 08:05 AM
Evolving Member

i put in a clutch rod shortener in my car after i put in my act 2600. the rod shortener worked. i was a little skeptical. i would like a short shifter with the stiffer bushings to tighten up the shifts. but the clutch rod shortener did the trick.
i have about 60launches on the new clutch, no slip what so ever. stock tranny, stock xcase
remember the evo 8 has a pull type clutch, not a push type. the throw out bearing sits inside the pressure and pulls on the forks. thats why you need a shortener and not an extender. the clutch rod shortener from lancershop.com is about .5" shorter than stock.
i also had a problem with the clutch not completely disengaging. at 400rpm the car would start to walk. the shortener stopped that problem

Last edited by ldstang50; Jul 26, 2004 at 08:09 AM.
Old Jul 26, 2004, 10:59 AM
Evolving Member

I knew that the clutch was a pull type, but I didn't realize that the effect of a shorter rod would have the same effect as adjusting the pedal outward. Thanks for the info. I put mine on order today. I'm sure that i'll enjoy my short shifter a lot more now that i'll be able to achieve full disengagement.
Old Jul 26, 2004, 11:02 AM
Evolving Member

not a problem
did you notice a big difference with your short shifter? also did you put in the new bearings when you did it?
Old Jul 27, 2004, 12:10 PM
Evolving Member

I bought the car with the short shifter intalled. I thought at first that the shifter was causing my problem, but as it gradually got worse, and my car started to crawl in reverse when the clutch was to the floor, I realized it wasn't. I drove a guys evo two days ago who didn't have the short shifter, and I realized that I like the short shifter better. It doesn't feel quite as notchy, and obviously shifts quicker. The shifter in my car is the B&M adjustable, and from the looks of things new bearings were installed when it was put in.