Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Random Misfire 0300: Dealership reflash available...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2007, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by trinydex
the p0300 is a misfire code... there's talk of the knock sensor being too sensitive or something... the only way to fix that route of thinking is to go stand alone.

otherwise some tunes have been known to generate the p0300. this would lead me to think it's something that could potentially be tuned out. if that's the case then there's hope.
I've not heard that standalone eliminates the problem... I'm sure it may, however, I don't know. That would beg the question, "What guarantees that the factory built-in protections and OBD-II codes continue to function in a standalone configuration?"
Old Sep 5, 2007, 07:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
there is no facotry stuff if you get a stand alone. if you're getting a stand alone get it for a good reason. p0300 is not a good reason.

i'm surprised there is no definitive solution to this... i thot it was tuning... for a while the developer of ecu+ was working on this, a fix, the cause.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

there is no facotry stuff if you get a stand alone. if you're getting a stand alone get it for a good reason. p0300 is not a good reason.

i'm surprised there is no definitive solution to this... i thot it was tuning... for a while the developer of ecu+ was working on this, a fix, the cause.
It's driveline harmonics is my understanding, after dealing with it for almost four years now. I got a rebuilt trans and voila, no P0300... I got it for other reasons, mind you, but it's nice not to have to dork with it any longer. I expect it may come back.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

interesting... any other possible reasons from other people that have studied it for a long time?
Old Sep 6, 2007, 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last edited by AlwaysinBoost; Jul 14, 2013 at 04:59 PM.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

cool is it is drivetrain related?
Old Sep 7, 2007, 01:55 PM

cool is it is drivetrain related?

yes in the 03s and 04s it is drivetrain related......I had my trans rebuilt, new 5th gear and a new input shaft installed, which finally curred my p0300 code problem, that coupled with the reflash, but ultimately it was the trans work that fixed the problem!
Old Sep 26, 2007, 02:17 PM

Well I got the P300 problem fixed. After numerous trips to the dealer. Here is how it goes. It;'s a long rant but Please read.

Sept 8th dealer reflash the Ecu( Covered under warranty via TSB)
Sept 9th after 100 Miles the -P300 code is back. Schedule dealer appointment for Sept 11th
Sept 11th drive the car in they clear the code and ask that I remove all aftermaket parts. I ask for a list of parts they would like removed or disconnected. They are blaming a grounding kit for the P300 code

Here is the List of removal items:
HKS Downpipe
HKS Carbon TI exhaust
Turbo Timer
Short Throw shifter
Grounding Kit
Samco Intercooler Hoses
Disconnect Boost Gauge

Here is what is OK to stay on Car:
But it;s OK for the Water Temp, Oil Pressure and Oil temp Gauges
Cusco Strut tower bar
Cusco rear Strut tower Bar with V-Brace
Hotchkis Rear Sway bars
Hotchkis lowering springs

Sept 12 take care in after 6 miles of driving the code is back( They are now blaming the NGK Iridium spark plugs, Want OEM and say they can put them in for $170 dollars I tell them NO THANKS,I pick-up Vehicle and put in the Factory spark Plugs.

Sept 13 th take the car back, I have a argument with the Service manager as he is stating that he can VOID my warranty for the MODS that were on my Vehicle. I politely tell him that the modifications on My car do not in any way or form have anything to due with the P300 misfire code or the reasons he stated to me.

I ask him to explain to me how a Silicone Hose can cause a Misfire? I ask how a grounding Kit can cause Misfire? How a Turbo timer can cause a misfire? How a short throw can cause a Misfire? I tell him the next thing you will be telling me is that my power coated wheels are causing the misfire!!! I also tell him that is is illegal for him to state that the modifications can void my warranty until he proves it and that I will be having an attorney look at the paperwork for the times my vehicle has been in the shop. HE IS NOW LONGER WILLING TO SERVICE MY VEHICLE, THIS IS WHERE IT GETS UNREAL!!!!!!!!!!

I take my vehicle to another Dealer and explain the situation

He is more than willing to look at my vehicle. I schedule an appointment for Sept 17th.

Sept 17th vehicle has P300 code with SES on. They clear it ask for me to Bring it back when it happens again as they were not able to throw the code after 15 miles of Driving. THE CAR HAS BEEN FLAGGED BY THE OTHER DEALER SHIP.THEY SAY THEY DOCUMENTED A BOOST CONTROLLER AND RACEFUEL IN MY CAR.

MY CAR HAS NEVER BEEN RACED, HAS NEVER HAD A BOOST CONTROLLER ON IT!!!

There is quite a discussion with myself, the tech and the service writer about what the other dealership has noted. I call Mitsubishi and tell them the situation regarding what the other dealership has documented on my vehicle. I AM !@#$%^&* THE DISTRICT MANAGER IS NOW INVOLVED!!! I have case file number and they are now going to look at my car.

They ask me if they can Keep the car and run it through the motions, I at this time tell them they can keep the car as long as they want up to 6 months if needed. I just want my car fixed, They agree to diagnose the vehicle.

I MAKE IT VERY CLEAR MY VEHICLE HAS NEVER , NEVER, CAN I SAY IT AGAIN NEVER HAD ANY RACEFUEL OR BOOST CONTROL DEVICE ON MY CAR.

Sept 18th,19th 20th,21st They try everything to throw the code, they are unable to. They keep the car for a week and figure out that they have been driving the car with the Engine cover off of the Vehicle. No code, they put the cover back on and drive the vehicle(BINGO the code is back)

When driving with the Cover OFF there is less heat, The coils never failed and with the cover on it, IT WOULD THROW CODES.P300 ALL DAY LONG.

They order new coil packs and wires, and the VEHICLE HAS NOT THROWN A CODE SINCE.

It might be worth a try, clear your code and drive without the Engine cover on to see if this solves the problem. Can't hurt, you may have bad coil packs, but this is something they may not want to attribute since they work just fine when the car is idling in the shop. I was fortunate that they drove the vehicle without the cover on and were unable to throw the code, but were able to throw codes with the cover on.

They covered it under warranty and I filed a complaint with the BAR for the other dealership for false accusations and the ficticious documentation of parts and race fuels that were never on my car.

Sorry for the long rant, But this has been one major ordeal of BS after the 1st dealership TRIED TO VOID MY WARRANTY WITH A BUNCH OF LIES.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by wrxwgn2evo; Sep 26, 2007 at 02:50 PM.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 02:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Very interesting! and please don't apologize, I appreciate your "rant."
Old Sep 26, 2007, 04:10 PM
Evolved Member

so there's real ignition problems causing real misfires and there's drivetrain noise.

so is it that the wires are bad and will go bad again? is it remedied by going to a stronger ignition system?

can we be diagnosing plug wires? test the resistance on each one? what's acceptable what's not?
Old Sep 26, 2007, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
...what trinydex said.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

i have to say after all the years i've been reading about evos i've heard solutions for every problem. the p0300 is the problem i've heard the least definitive solutions to. if we can hammer this one out i'll write an end all thread to the subject.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 06:50 PM

Like others in this thread, there are numerous other issues that could cause this P300 code. This may or may not be the problem for your specific vehicle, but it wouldn't hurt to run the car with the cover off to see if it eliminates the problem.

If you are able to confirm the problem, it may help convince the dealer to replace the your coil packs. Dealers can easily tell you they check out fine as confirmed with my car with it in the shop, hood up,cover off so they can look at them.

They ran the car on there test runs with the cover off(I guess you would call it laziness) They put 300 miles on my car without throwing a code. I would throw codes between 10 to 100 miles religiously.

They then button up the car and take it on the last run(the cover is now on as they intend to return the vehicle to me) This is when they throw the code.

They come to the conclusion that the coil packs are failing due to the heat, that with the cover off the heat is no longer trapped, also with our vented hoods the air is probably also helping to cool the coil packs at driving speed. This may or may not be your problem, but it has solved mine.

They could not confirm that the coil packs were failing in the shop, but at least they put 2+2 together to figure out the only difference was driving it with the cover off(no codes) vs with cover on and (able to throw the codes).

Replaced the coils under warranty, I have a 2003 Evo with 37000 miles on it, its out of the 3year /36000 mile Bumper to Bumper warranty

But our vehicle also comes with 6year/60,000 power train warranty. I specifically talked to the service writer about emission related parts are warrantied for 8 year/80000 miles by California Law. The service writer was very cool about everything and warrantied the repair work.

Hope this helps
Old Sep 27, 2007, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

Shameful experience. I hope Mitsu finds a way to make it up to you. We hear about dealerships all the time but this kind of experience is reprehensible.

Anyway, my question: How many miles has it been since you last threw a P0300?

And good luck!!!

Originally Posted by wrxwgn2evo
Well I got the P300 problem fixed. After numerous trips to the dealer. Here is how it goes. It;'s a long rant but Please read.

Sept 8th dealer reflash the Ecu( Covered under warranty via TSB)
Sept 9th after 100 Miles the -P300 code is back. Schedule dealer appointment for Sept 11th
Sept 11th drive the car in they clear the code and ask that I remove all aftermaket parts. I ask for a list of parts they would like removed or disconnected. They are blaming a grounding kit for the P300 code

Here is the List of removal items:
HKS Downpipe
HKS Carbon TI exhaust
Turbo Timer
Short Throw shifter
Grounding Kit
Samco Intercooler Hoses
Disconnect Boost Gauge

Here is what is OK to stay on Car:
But it;s OK for the Water Temp, Oil Pressure and Oil temp Gauges
Cusco Strut tower bar
Cusco rear Strut tower Bar with V-Brace
Hotchkis Rear Sway bars
Hotchkis lowering springs

Sept 12 take care in after 6 miles of driving the code is back( They are now blaming the NGK Iridium spark plugs, Want OEM and say they can put them in for $170 dollars I tell them NO THANKS,I pick-up Vehicle and put in the Factory spark Plugs.

Sept 13 th take the car back, I have a argument with the Service manager as he is stating that he can VOID my warranty for the MODS that were on my Vehicle. I politely tell him that the modifications on My car do not in any way or form have anything to due with the P300 misfire code or the reasons he stated to me.

I ask him to explain to me how a Silicone Hose can cause a Misfire? I ask how a grounding Kit can cause Misfire? How a Turbo timer can cause a misfire? How a short throw can cause a Misfire? I tell him the next thing you will be telling me is that my power coated wheels are causing the misfire!!! I also tell him that is is illegal for him to state that the modifications can void my warranty until he proves it and that I will be having an attorney look at the paperwork for the times my vehicle has been in the shop. HE IS NOW LONGER WILLING TO SERVICE MY VEHICLE, THIS IS WHERE IT GETS UNREAL!!!!!!!!!!

I take my vehicle to another Dealer and explain the situation

He is more than willing to look at my vehicle. I schedule an appointment for Sept 17th.

Sept 17th vehicle has P300 code with SES on. They clear it ask for me to Bring it back when it happens again as they were not able to throw the code after 15 miles of Driving. THE CAR HAS BEEN FLAGGED BY THE OTHER DEALER SHIP.THEY SAY THEY DOCUMENTED A BOOST CONTROLLER AND RACEFUEL IN MY CAR.

MY CAR HAS NEVER BEEN RACED, HAS NEVER HAD A BOOST CONTROLLER ON IT!!!

There is quite a discussion with myself, the tech and the service writer about what the other dealership has noted. I call Mitsubishi and tell them the situation regarding what the other dealership has documented on my vehicle. I AM !@#$%^&* THE DISTRICT MANAGER IS NOW INVOLVED!!! I have case file number and they are now going to look at my car.

They ask me if they can Keep the car and run it through the motions, I at this time tell them they can keep the car as long as they want up to 6 months if needed. I just want my car fixed, They agree to diagnose the vehicle.

I MAKE IT VERY CLEAR MY VEHICLE HAS NEVER , NEVER, CAN I SAY IT AGAIN NEVER HAD ANY RACEFUEL OR BOOST CONTROL DEVICE ON MY CAR.

Sept 18th,19th 20th,21st They try everything to throw the code, they are unable to. They keep the car for a week and figure out that they have been driving the car with the Engine cover off of the Vehicle. No code, they put the cover back on and drive the vehicle(BINGO the code is back)

When driving with the Cover OFF there is less heat, The coils never failed and with the cover on it, IT WOULD THROW CODES.P300 ALL DAY LONG.

They order new coil packs and wires, and the VEHICLE HAS NOT THROWN A CODE SINCE.

It might be worth a try, clear your code and drive without the Engine cover on to see if this solves the problem. Can't hurt, you may have bad coil packs, but this is something they may not want to attribute since they work just fine when the car is idling in the shop. I was fortunate that they drove the vehicle without the cover on and were unable to throw the code, but were able to throw codes with the cover on.

They covered it under warranty and I filed a complaint with the BAR for the other dealership for false accusations and the ficticious documentation of parts and race fuels that were never on my car.

Sorry for the long rant, But this has been one major ordeal of BS after the 1st dealership TRIED TO VOID MY WARRANTY WITH A BUNCH OF LIES.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Sep 27, 2007, 10:27 AM

i tired coil packs, plugs, almost everything, the ultimate fix for me, as stated above, was a new input shaft and 5th gear! I still attribute transmission harmonics as the culprate for 99% of the cars plagued with this problem!

Quick Reply: Random Misfire 0300: Dealership reflash available...