Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

I need help ASAP! Am I in Limp Mode and what is the cause??

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2004, 08:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It sounds driveline/transfercase related or maybe even clutch related. Im no professional, but you should try to get the codes if possible, then put back on the stock air box, and pray the dealer will fix it under warrenty.
Old Sep 13, 2004, 08:07 AM
Evolving Member

Well i'm more worried about a severe engine problem than a clutch. If i'm told that my intake and exhaust put enough strain on the driveline or transfer case to break it, i'll be busting some heads over at my local mitsu dealer. Anyone with even a little car knowledge would know that it is very unlikely that those mods would do that.
Old Sep 13, 2004, 08:14 AM
Evolving Member

has anyone else run into something that resembeled this set of problems before?
Old Sep 13, 2004, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

you probably should take all your mods off before going to the dealership including the turboback.
Old Sep 13, 2004, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
You save yourself a big headache if you put your car back to stock.
Old Sep 13, 2004, 08:19 AM
Evolving Member

i'm willing to take that risk because i cannot go without a car for a week or whatnot while the exhaust is being taken off and replaced with the stock one. If my mods caused a problem with my driveline, tcase, or engine then what kind of car is this?

it doesn't make sense that someone could get 600whp out of a stock bottom end and I mess up mine with an intake or exhaust.

i'm just trying to get an idea on what could be wrong with the car and i'm hoping it is as easy as a blown hose or something simple. Another serious problem on this car would kill it.
Old Sep 13, 2004, 08:21 AM

i wouldnt worry about taking the mods off at all. the magnasson moss act states that a dealer would have to prove that the aftermarket parts on the car are the DIRECT cause of the malfunction to void the warranty. your boost control is the only thing i would worry about even if you do set it to stock settings because they could say that you had the boost to high. the intake and turbo back only help the car breathe better and would only void the warranty on the OEM parts obviously. i dont think anyone i know ever screwed up there car with just intake and exhaust. its nearly impossible
Old Sep 13, 2004, 08:23 AM
Evolving Member

it would take alot of time that i do not have to revert the car back to stock. i'd have to pull the intake, exhaust, boost controller, rotors, pads, and suspension. That is a considerable amount of work and i don't have the money to pull all of it and have my problem be a blown hose. I guess it is a gamble
the service manager over at my local dealer is pretty cool. he just looks at it in a "abuse" light. you beat you car and expect to have it fixed for free, not going to happen. Something goes haywire on you and its not your fault then its fixed.
Old Sep 13, 2004, 08:26 AM
Evolving Member

ya the boost controller was bothering me because when i was setting it to 19.5 I spiked it once to 22-23 and it set the highest level boost ever reached as that. They get a machanic that knows the EBC and next thing i know they will be telling me I run 23psi all the time.

right now with all the warranty issues everyone has had i'm ready to fight if they say I did something they better be ready to prove it.
Old Sep 13, 2004, 08:29 AM

what is the datalogging capacity of the stock ecu anyway. when i pulled off my xede i waited a week to be sure it was clear before i took mine in for the 15000 service
Old Sep 13, 2004, 08:32 AM
Evolving Member

i've heard that the block boxes on cars only record for 6 seconds or whatnot. I'm not running a ecu or reflash so i'm not worried about that. I'm just trying to see if anyone has had these type of issues before and what was the cause of said issues.
Old Sep 13, 2004, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mr_Green
i wouldnt worry about taking the mods off at all. the magnasson moss act states that a dealer would have to prove that the aftermarket parts on the car are the DIRECT cause of the malfunction to void the warranty. your boost control is the only thing i would worry about even if you do set it to stock settings because they could say that you had the boost to high. the intake and turbo back only help the car breathe better and would only void the warranty on the OEM parts obviously. i dont think anyone i know ever screwed up there car with just intake and exhaust. its nearly impossible
Dude this has been gone over 1000000000000000 times. If you want to keep your warranty put your car back to stock. The worse thing that would happen is they won't cover it but the warranty would be intached.
Old Sep 13, 2004, 08:40 AM
Evolving Member

i really do not care if they cover it or not. i'm more concerned that something is seriously wrong with my engine/ driveline.
If they tell me that my warranty is void but it was a blown hose i do not care. if they tell me my exhaust blew my engine then i'm going to care because that is not possible and i'm getting screwed. Even if they tell me that whatever that other shop did screwed my car then fine, i can go take it up with them as mitsu as a witness. As long as i'm not accused of things that i did not do or am obviously being screwed then i will not be pissed.
Old Sep 13, 2004, 09:18 AM
Evolving Member

I donno how good a look you got at the lower IC piping, but I'd bet that's where the problem is. Pull that plastic cover stuff off the bottom and make sure it's all clamped down properly under there. It doesn't need to come all the way off for it to have an effect. Are you blowing out a lot of black smoke?
Old Sep 13, 2004, 09:27 AM
Evolving Member

well looks like i found out what is wrong. THER WAS NO OIL IN MY ENGINE!!!!! i somehow burnt off 5 quarts of oil in 4k miles. Completely redicilous!

Last edited by ruthless evo 8; Sep 13, 2004 at 11:59 AM.

Quick Reply: I need help ASAP! Am I in Limp Mode and what is the cause??