Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

I need help ASAP! Am I in Limp Mode and what is the cause??

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2004, 12:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jcnel you just made me relax a lil thanks. no i never had a sensor pop on. it only came on slightly when i was stalled this morning but it came on along with all the other lights.

i was able to fill the car with 5 quarts today so i figured i was pretty low. The only questions i have now are: Is the dearlership going to tell me tough luck because i didn't check the oil even though the sensor light didn't go off? and would the fact that my oil was low enough to make the valve lash adjustors chatter make my turbo run at half power and make the car feel like it was puttering down the street.

almost forgot. would the valve lash adjustors continue chattering after adding oil? it continued to chatter after i added oil this afternoon.

Last edited by ruthless evo 8; Sep 13, 2004 at 12:45 PM.
Old Sep 13, 2004, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

THIS is what you need to do.

Drain ALL the oil out of your car.

Then replace the oil and see what happens

And how did you know that it didnt have any oil in it?
Did you check by draining the oil or just by the dip stick. If you used the dipstick then there probably wasnt enough oil to show that you had some left but in reality its possible for there to be 2-3 quarts in there. if there was oil left in there, then you probably over filled it and now there is too much oil.

If your car was running without oil then the damage has been done. The reason why its probably in limp home mode was because the engine was probably making so much noise that it triggered the knock sensor.

Also check and see you coolant reservoir to see if there any oil. Do the same to your radiator. if they smell absolutely horrible then you've probably blown a headgasket. if it is blown badly enough, the car can burn oil or let coolant into the the oil (very bad)
Check the spark plugs and see if they are rusted at all
Old Sep 13, 2004, 01:02 PM
Evolving Member

from this point though how i have driven the car would be warrantied. no sensor came on so i doubt that i was really that low on oil. If the sensor was defective then its no my problem but mitsu's. If a head gasket blew i didn't modify the car enough to have that as a real issue and i didn't crank up my boost either.
I'm really worried about mitsu voiding my warranty for my parts when it was obviously something out of my control. that would just be downright ****ty.
Its going to get dropped of tonight so tomorrow we will find out what happened. i apprecate every one contrubuting to this thread and any more information would be great.

Is how my car is reacting limp- mode then? it sounded like it from the different posts i have read but haven't never experenced it first hand i didn't know.
Old Sep 13, 2004, 01:40 PM
Evolving Member

can anyone confirm that how my car is reacting "limp mode"?
Old Sep 13, 2004, 02:22 PM
Evolving Member

after checking things out i probably blew the head gasket and thankfully this problem just started yesterday. i must have done it right after i gased up on my ride home and raced a supra. i lost but my turbo went coocookaakaa for like a split second. that when i probably blew it out. its on its way to mitsu after work and maybe i'll put on my arp studs on now.
Old Sep 13, 2004, 03:36 PM

I Just had a very similar problem to what your describing ruthless. I have similar mods to yours , GReddy Ti exhaust, apexi downpipe, GReddy spec II EBC. I started hearing a clicking/knocking type sounds comming from my engine and I couldn't boost worth a **** no matter how high I turned up the EBC. When I checked my oil it was also empty and it looked like I had burnt it all out the exhaust. my car only has 2700 miles on it as well. Took it to the dealer and basically the entire engine was shot from driving it even a short distance with no oil in it without realizing it cause my oil light never came on either. they voided my warrenty on the spot and it cost me almost 4600$ to fix, needing new pistons, bearings, crank, rods, and rings. I'm getting it back withen the next few days and they still haven't been able to tell me with a certainty what caused the engine to blow so I'm gearing up for a long argument when I pick it up about how they can void a warrenty if they can't even tell me for sure what caused the damage. Unfortunatly it was towed to the dealer before I got a chance to get the boost controller off of it so there of course blaming it all on it even though the peak boost it recorded was only 17.5 psi! hope to hell its not as bad with your car man and if your gonna do anything make sure u get the EBC off. every other mod can be explained away usually but they void on sight of a boost controller.
good luck man
Old Sep 13, 2004, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
The oil warning light will only come on when oil pressure is low, not when the oil level is low
Old Sep 14, 2004, 07:27 AM
Evolving Member

the only thing that does bother me is that 3 weeks ago i checked my oil and i was better then fine on the level. maybe 1/2 a quart low so i topped it off. Come yesterday i've burned off a full engines worth of oil?!? They try to tell me that a boost controller burned off oil and i'll see them in court. Obviously something was wrong with the engine but what i do not know. i don't have symptoms of a blown head gasket or and leaks so it doesn't make any sense.